Floods postpone fireworks

MJB55
Posts: 2
Joined: Jun 20th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Floods postpone fireworks

Post by MJB55 »

Way to dampen Canada's 150th birthday! Well done Mr. Reimer. Just another casualty due to your department's bad judgement. I wish you would admit that you've made a mistake, instead of harping on about how you wouldn't change a thing given a second chance. People who don't learn from their mistakes can not be trusted in the future. Please resign.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 30821
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by GordonH »

So Kelowna's fireworks is usually shot from barge currently parked near Tolko Mill, and watched from shore by the majority of the people. Those who watch on the lake by boat are always at risk simply by being out there in the dark. Majority of boats have minimum of lights.
So it's fireworks for BC day, well hopefully its not windy that day or it will be moved labour Day weekend etc.... etc.... etc
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -fireworks

Of course once you have seen 1 fireworks show, they all pretty well look alike.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ogopogo123
Posts: 3
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 7:46 am

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by Ogopogo123 »

What a crock of bull**** from Festival's Kelowna.
Looks like I'l have to spend my money in Penticton since they don't have a problem celebrating our country's 150th Birthday with an awesome fireworks show on CANADA DAY!!! on Okanagan Lake. http://www.visitpenticton.com/event/201 ... ebrations/
LTD
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by LTD »

GordonH wrote:So Kelowna's fireworks is usually shot from barge currently parked near Tolko Mill, and watched from shore by the majority of the people. Those who watch on the lake by boat are always at risk simply by being out there in the dark. Majority of boats have minimum of lights.
So it's fireworks for BC day, well hopefully its not windy that day or it will be moved labour Day weekend etc.... etc.... etc
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -fireworks

Of course once you have seen 1 fireworks show, they all pretty well look alike.

you don't want a bunch of lights on a boat at night its easier to see without them the risk is minimal if youre sober and paying attention
User avatar
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2318
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by vegas1500 »

MJB55 wrote:Way to dampen Canada's 150th birthday! Well done Mr. Reimer. Just another casualty due to your department's bad judgement. I wish you would admit that you've made a mistake, instead of harping on about how you wouldn't change a thing given a second chance. People who don't learn from their mistakes can not be trusted in the future. Please resign.


It's only fireworks.....doesn't mean you can't celebrate the day. A lot bigger problems in life than missing some fireworks.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 30821
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by GordonH »

Everyone that wants to see fireworks on July 1, I suggest heading to Penticton.

Added: for myself I've seen fireworks, as I've said once you have seen 1 you pretty well have seen them all.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
User avatar
forum
Guru
Posts: 6662
Joined: May 10th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by forum »

It's seriously embarrassing how wimpy Canadian leaders and decision makers have become. Everyone's getting soft.

Light it up and party on. Seriously? You're going to let a little water stop the fireworks? Screw you Kelowna wimps, guess I'll wait for the 4th of July, at least Americans know how to keep the party going.
just popping in
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3597
Joined: Apr 3rd, 2011, 8:15 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by just popping in »

Canada Day - still lots of activities all day long, get out and celebrate!

http://www.festivalskelowna.com/images/ ... 0final.pdf
barrygm
Posts: 42
Joined: Nov 18th, 2007, 12:25 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by barrygm »

Embarassing....rent a fence!!!!
All visitors and locals....Welcome to the no fun zone that is called Kelowna
User avatar
Graham Adder
Guru
Posts: 5492
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by Graham Adder »

Yet another display of the pathetic decision makers we have all allowed through the front doors of our city.

The federal gov't funds allotted to make this...the ONLY...150th anniversary celebration an outstanding event would surely surpass what is required to MAKE THIS HAPPEN.

As stated, rent fencing. Rent extra security.

THE SHOW MUST GO ON

We do NOT need people in these chairs that lay face down to the keys when the going gets tough.

Got a problem?
SOLVE IT.
BE A PROBLEM SOLVER.

YOU'RE PAID TO BE A PROBLEM SOLVER.

Quitting is NOT an option.

THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

I'm so embarrassed by our city's mayor, councilors and planning committees.
They are all a huge FAIL in my eyes.

Cancelling the fireworks because the lake is flooded?

News Flash:
The City's Community Members have adjusted to the lake level. Life is going on.
Use the people of Kelowna as your example of NOT going face down to the keys, but rather rolling with what comes along.

THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

...and it will.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2457
Joined: Mar 12th, 2010, 10:26 am

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by fall »

But Kelowna is open for business.
If it's not wind, fog, someone stealing pieces, it's flooding. Always seems to be something.
Happy 150th Canada from Kelowna.
Osoyoos has good fireworks if that's what you like.
AtticSalt
Posts: 82
Joined: Sep 26th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by AtticSalt »

Maybe someone was sooooo busy filing sandbags they forgot to order the fireworks? :panic: :biggrin:
User avatar
Graham Adder
Guru
Posts: 5492
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Floods postpone fireworks

Post by Graham Adder »

I wrote to Renata Mills regarding her decision to let the entire city and surrounding communities down on Canada's 150th.
Her reply states that there isn't enough room left at city park for the expected crowd, and that moving the venue elsewhere would be a logistics issue in such short time.

I stated in my letter that this is a one shot deal.
Her position is one of "problem solver".
A problem has arisen.
Solve it.

Nope.
The headache was just too much.
She confirmed this:

THE SHOW WILL NOT GO ON

This is where my social anarchist comes in and wants to encourage all purchasers of fireworks for private use, to please share your display with all by launching them ALLLLLL over the lake in front of Kelowna @ 10p.m. but I digress, leaving out such encouragement and opting to let those people do as they feel they must...for the kids!
:crazy:

:147:

:138:
sixxonesixx
Fledgling
Posts: 178
Joined: Jun 9th, 2007, 9:14 am

No Fireworks For Canada 150?

Post by sixxonesixx »

No fireworks for Canada ? Really - Like put it on a barge already and celebrate our 150 in style. Not sure of all the reasons except the lake is too high (???) I'll be going down to Osoyoos now for Canada 150 for Okanagans BIGGEST fireworks display. A quick pit stop at the farmers market in Pen and check out a few stands along the way - yummy. Maybe even hit the driving range . regardless I'm just a little disappointed. I'l make the best of it.
Happy Canada Day All!!
gman313
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3428
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: No Fireworks For Canada 150?

Post by gman313 »

sixxonesixx wrote:No fireworks for Canada ? Really - Like put it on a barge already and celebrate our 150 in style. Not sure of all the reasons except the lake is too high (???) I'll be going down to Osoyoos now for Canada 150 for Okanagans BIGGEST fireworks display. A quick pit stop at the farmers market in Pen and check out a few stands along the way - yummy. Maybe even hit the driving range . regardless I'm just a little disappointed. I'l make the best of it.
Happy Canada Day All!!


they always do put them on a barge lol

Return to “Flooding 2017”