Fire danger

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Fire danger

Post by GordonH »

Any homeowners out there with cedar shingle roof in or near potential interface fire area's (as was today in Penticton).
Replace that roofing with metal look alike shingles or something not flammable (also don't use asphalt either)

Cedar shingles is to a interface fire like newspaper is to a campfire.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

GordonH wrote:Any homeowners out there with cedar shingle roof in or near potential interface fire area's (as was today in Penticton).
Replace that roofing with metal look alike shingles or something not flammable (also don't use asphalt either)

Cedar shingles is to a interface fire like newspaper is to a campfire.

It's actually illegal to install cedar roofing in some US states because of the fire risk.
Also really important to clean pine needles & debris out of your gutters.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

hanceville2.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I just checked the weather for where I am and my heart stopped. We are under a "Red Flag Warning" until at least Thursday. That means, high heat, low humidity, and strong winds. Perfect for fires.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... XUng4Srqzd
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Not good! Strong winds here in West Kelowna right now and close to 30 degrees. I know that lightning is in the forecast for some areas as well. I hope you aren't in a wooded area there. Stay safe.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I second that ferri. Still dealing with flood damage and now keeping an eye on our surrounding area and fingers crossed it will be a peaceful night for all.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Just back from the epic south cariboo road trip. Thursday : huge rain starting in Kamloops. Rained all the way to little fort, Lac de Roche, Interlakes, deka, sulphurous, drewry, canim on and off. Police check points everywhere. Highways pulled out the graders and fixed all the back roads. Highways contractor check points at all the critical intersections. Friday, cold and windy. Saturday cold and windy. Today cold and windier. 100 Mile House reopened as well as 97 south. No sign of fire or smoke in 100 dollar house. Lots of RCMP pick up trucks, government trucks, 2 soldiers walking and getting groceries. Head south to cache Creek. One side of highway to tops of mountains burnt clear. Livestock fencing burned to the ground. Across from hat Creek up in the gullies new fire breaking out due to wind. Open flame, new big smoke. Must have just started again because forestry pick up truck were pulling over and guys on radios pointing. Cache Creek, first gas station closed. Second one open. Retardant streaks everywhere. Further south getting ready to go left to Ashcroft: new grass fire erupts before my eyes south of elephant Hill. This time its going the other way. I get passed by cache Creek fire trucks going the other way. Wind must have been north @50
Last edited by tsayta on Jul 23rd, 2017, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh God Tsayta, sounds like a war zone and you got home safe. Wish I was there with you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

I agree QK, it sure sounds like an adventure. Wish I was there too
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

They have changed the electronic roadside signage by Winfield from
"Boaters Make No Wake" to "Extreme Fire Danger" this eve.

Everyone watch your P's and Q's
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

It came early (fire danger). Is it over early?
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

EC is reporting some stiff wind at airport. Seems calm in South mission
WW
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

tsayta wrote:EC is reporting some stiff wind at airport. Seems calm in South mission

the forecast just changed to northerly gusts up to 40km then light this evening.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

There was some pretty strong gusts down by the lake. Typically a breeze like the one we had this evening would have cleared out the valley smoke but it didn't.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Probably because it was a straight shot from elephant hill. That's some thick shiznit
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”