Williams Lake

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Williams Lake

Post by Glacier »

dle wrote:So to clarify Glacier, it sounds to me like you saying that even if you leave early, on Alert, not on Order, IF you register WITH THE Evac centre you CAN get food vouchers & $$ for accommodations? That kind of sounds the opposite of what the insurance company told me. They were pretty specific that you had to be under Order to leave in order to get any emergency services $$ so I am a bit confused (nothing new!)

A friend of mine has a welfare scamming sister who lives north of Clearwater (ie. north of the evacuation ALERT area). As soon as their was an alert she was down in Kamloops like a dirty shirt with her 5 children who don't even live with her (and fathered by 4 different guys) to collect the $$ from the Red Cross. Yes, you don't even have to be on alert to get the money, you just have to claim that the smoke is too much for you to handle (I think one of her children does have asthma).
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 19th, 2017, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:^BUT if you register with the evacuation centre, you get food vouchers and money for accommodations.

If my dad were to do it over again, he would not have left earlier, but rather, later... or at the very least taken the Dog Creek Road to avoid all the traffic.

The people that waited until the next day to leave didn't have any line-up problems.

And that in itself is a brutal drive, having done it. Would not want to be risking being out there if any chance of a fire had been present in that area. So is he with you now?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
anniekate

Post by anniekate »

couple of things to think about... If you leave during an alert, you often can't go back, road block prevents this. People who stayed in Williams Lake did so for many reasons like they have jobs and needed to work. ESS (emergency social services) are primarily for people who are on evacuation orders, when on alerts it is a case by case basis. People up here are Cariboo Strong and no one wants to be away from there home and town unless it is needed.
My heart goes out others in the alert areas that are land locked and wait hour by hour, day by day to see if anything changes.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

dle wrote:So to clarify Glacier, it sounds to me like you saying that even if you leave early, on Alert, not on Order, IF you register WITH THE Evac centre you CAN get food vouchers & $$ for accommodations? That kind of sounds the opposite of what the insurance company told me. They were pretty specific that you had to be under Order to leave in order to get any emergency services $$ so I am a bit confused (nothing new!)

The difference is that one source of funding is from an insurance company, and the other is from the evacuation centre (whose funding source may well be donations or the Provincial Government, or a combination of both). So the rules are different - funds from the evacuation centre are probably available to all evacuees who register with them, whereas insurance is only available to those making a claim who are under an evacuation order (as opposed to an evacuation alert).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Merry wrote:

The difference is that one source of funding is from an insurance company, and the other is from the evacuation centre (whose funding source may well be donations or the Provincial Government, or a combination of both). So the rules are different - funds from the evacuation centre are probably available to all evacuees who register with them, whereas insurance is only available to those making a claim who are under an evacuation order (as opposed to an evacuation alert).

:smt045
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The order has been lifted and the residents can go home. But they've been told to stay on Alert, and keep a full gas tank.

Fingers crossed they won't have to leave again.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

:130:
Merry wrote:The order has been lifted and the residents can go home. But they've been told to stay on Alert, and keep a full gas tank.

Fingers crossed they won't have to leave again.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The order has been lifted, but not for areas east and west of the city. My one brother living toward Horsefly will have to wait.
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like how the officials have advised people to take 7 days of supplies in and 7 days of meds with them. Because there will be difficulty getting supplies right? Costco is going to be going crazy both here and in Kamloops. I'm keeping out of there for a few days.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:I like how the officials have advised people to take 7 days of supplies in and 7 days of meds with them. Because there will be difficulty getting supplies right? Costco is going to be going crazy both here and in Kamloops. I'm keeping out of there for a few days.

Costco and Prince George and Kamloops, maybe, but I don't think there are very many evacuees in Kelowna (I could be wrong). Costco is busy at the best of times. Haven't been there in 10 years. Too busy.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A friend of mine gave birth while the hospital was being evacuated. Here's her story: http://www.wltribune.com/news/cariboo-c ... ed-july-8/
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Glacier wrote:A friend of mine gave birth while the hospital was being evacuated. Here's her story: http://www.wltribune.com/news/cariboo-c ... ed-july-8/

Wow!
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Ah yes. Darwin will get him. Because obviously he won't reproduce right? I mean idiots don't have kids do they?
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203568
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”