BC Wildfire Map

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: BC Wildfire Map

Post by Glacier »

Good map showing all the evacuation alerts and orders in the Cariboo... https://cariboo.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi ... 7461762081
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Wonder what BC would look like from the ISS ? clear enough but has to cross over I suppose.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dale mck

Post by dale mck »

the iss should be visible at 10;30-10;35 2 night. 2 nights ago it would of been right over.
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

dale mck wrote:the iss should be visible at 10;30-10;35 2 night. 2 nights ago it would of been right over.

Thanks for that!

I was outside and saw the time so looked up remembering your post. There it was!

It sure travels fast.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well the good news is that the Wildwood fire around Williams Lake is not showing up on the satellite maps anymore, nor is 100 Mile and Princeton. The bad news is that there are still many fires raging out of control including Elephant Hill. By the time this summer is over, something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the Chilcotin Plateau will be burned the way things are going.

CURRENTFIRES2.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Okay, maybe not 1/3, but a lot.

plateau3.jpg
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Let's say 500,000 hectares burns this year. I wonder how much burned annually pre-industrialized fire suppression?
If we've had 50 years of effective suppression, is mother nature simply catching up? 50 years worth of 10,000 hectare annual suppression may be coming undone
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Well I did read that the forest used to burn once every 15 years around Williams Lake, and hasn't done so since the 1930s or 40s. Making up for lost time, perhaps. Also, when we compare this year to the other big years way back in the 1950s, most of the big fires were way up north where no one lived and no one bothered fighting the fires. By contrast, pretty much every single fire this year has been in the southern half of BC. Even though we are spending 100s of millions trying to stop these fires, they keep on growing.

Certainly this will go down in history as the worst fire season on record in the Cariboo. Perhaps not the worst closer to home, but still, it's dry, so we have lots of time to catch up.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

fires3.png
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

This map shows you out extensive the CRD evacuations are!

CRDEVACUATIONS.jpg
- Douglas Murray
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

^^Wow, that's crazy!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

It's interesting on the Aug 4 chart that only 3 of those fires were human caused. If you only read castanet discussions or watched the news you'd think the vast majority of forest fires were caused by people tossing lit cigarettes out of car windows. Not excusing the ones that are caused by human stupidity, which we seem to have in abundance, I was just surprised that more of them weren't. It seems like the prevailing thought is that we cause many more than perhaps we do, or maybe that's just what's going on now and it's generally true that more are caused by humans?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

GordonH wrote:Not sure if anyone has already posted this interactive map or not.
http://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/interactive-map

link doesn't work.
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

- Douglas Murray
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

Driving eastbound and still smokey in Medicine Hat, looking straight up I can see sky and high level clouds.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”