Smokanagan - again

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Smokanagan - again

Post by Queen K »

I recall that in the aftermath of 2003, people were emphasizing the loss of all the memory items that could not be packed into cars. Baby stuff, that special dress on their first date, grannie's dinnerwear passed down through generations, and all kinds of stuff like that.

It was special original artwork, landscaping, professional clothing for work - all kinds of examples.

Sure the house structure could be rebuilt and was often upsized.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:I recall that in the aftermath of 2003, people were emphasizing the loss of all the memory items that could not be packed into cars. Baby stuff, that special dress on their first date, grannie's dinnerwear passed down through generations, and all kinds of stuff like that.

It was special original artwork, landscaping, professional clothing for work - all kinds of examples.

Sure the house structure could be rebuilt and was often upsized.

Exactly, the buildings/houses can be replaced. It's the items that are irreplaceable that is the hardest point to get past, shoulda.... coulda & woulda
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Just returned from Peachland.

Big winds, lots of smoke just being blown around, big waves coming up on shore, a smatter of rain and then it was gone.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Same here. Big wind, big bang, power out. Ten drops of rain. Temp falling like a stone .

The good news is, here, it is comfortable to be on my deck for first time in days.

But, wonder about Shambala folk. Has anyone heard if winds blew fire away or to, all the celebrants. Last I knew they were on evac alert.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=73977

I started a Kootenay thread for that. :D
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

And just like that, it's back. I wonder about the geniuses at Environment Canada in Kelowna. They still have our AQHI at a 2, but I can see the smoke between my house and the one across the street and the woodsmoke smell is strong here. Our local readings have seemed low to me all through this smoke season, which makes me wonder where they're taking their measurements. It's either a lot clearer where they are or someone from the Chamber of Commerce has their finger on the scale. Either way, it's a shame because what's the point of even having those readings if they're inaccurate and so useless to the people who need them most?
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Catri wrote:And just like that, it's back. I wonder about the geniuses at Environment Canada in Kelowna. They still have our AQHI at a 2, but I can see the smoke between my house and the one across the street and the woodsmoke smell is strong here. Our local readings have seemed low to me all through this smoke season, which makes me wonder where they're taking their measurements. It's either a lot clearer where they are or someone from the Chamber of Commerce has their finger on the scale. Either way, it's a shame because what's the point of even having those readings if they're inaccurate and so useless to the people who need them most?

Just imagine how much less smoke there would be if there was harsher punishments for all the human caused fires. Slaps on the wrist for all of them and they will be back next year causing more fires. Huge fines and time spent behind bars should have been what they got. Instead they got small fines and zero jail time which is typical. Criminals never learn their lesson because their punishments are never given properly.
Just called me Triple B.
Bigger, Badder, Better than you!
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

BigBearBruno wrote:Just imagine how much less smoke there would be if there was harsher punishments for all the human caused fires. Slaps on the wrist for all of them and they will be back next year causing more fires. Huge fines and time spent behind bars should have been what they got. Instead they got small fines and zero jail time which is typical. Criminals never learn their lesson because their punishments are never given properly.

That always sounds great in theory, but not as practical or effective as you'd like to think. Turns out less than half of the wildfires in BC are human started too so it seems like there are always going to be fires.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Holy Moly, someone open the damper !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Moved*
Last edited by BigBearBruno on Aug 14th, 2017, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just called me Triple B.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

This was discussed over in this thread, Bruno: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73473&start=75
BigBearBruno
Fledgling

Post by BigBearBruno »

Catri wrote:This was discussed over in this thread, Bruno: http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=75

Thanks dude! :up:
Just called me Triple B.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Not sure if this has been posted previously.

http://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/viewer/ru ... 017081508/
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Smokey up there huh.. On the east coast of the island at the moment, south of Ladysmith, woke up to brilliant sunshine, no smoke...yet, and 40Km+ visibility. I can see a whitish haze towards the mainland though.
The rain we had lasted about 3 hours and then gone. Only one fire on the rock I believe, up neat Port McNeil.

Pack the bags and come to the rock for fresh air....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Yup. Smoke worst in a few days right now. What would be fitting is that the donkey butts at EC cancel the air quality advisory. That would be so funny. Oh wait....
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”