Smokanagan - again

Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Smokanagan - again

Post by Bubalouie »

Have friends whose daughter and son in law have lost their house, others on alert in Williams Lake and a bunch of family in Quesnel. The smoke is worse this morning in Kelowna and I feel for those with breathing issues, it's even bothering me today.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

On a scale of 1 to 10, the air quality in Williams Lake is 24! Vernon is bad too at, but it's only 7.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Merry wrote:I've sat up all night (literally) worrying about friends and family who live in Williams Lake and area. I'm heartsick that my son and his pregnant wife may be about to lose their home. And I have extended family and friends who also may lose what they've worked so hard for so many years to attain. But having the ability to keep up to date with the latest news via the Internet, and chat with folks online, helps ease my anxiety a little.

Right now I can't see a thing out my window beyond the house across the street, due to heavy smoke. It's permeated my home, and is giving me a sore throat and a tight chest. So I can fully understand why people don't like it, and don't consider folks complaining about it as showing any lack of compassion for those who are currently in danger. If anything, talking about something less serious such as the smoke helps take my mind off the nagging worry I have, about the safety of all those I love who are currently still in the fire zone. I worry about their homes, but I worry even more about the very dangerous journey they may have to take to get out of there.

Every single road out of Williams Lake is impacted by fire, and when I think about those folks possibly having to drive through that inferno at some point I get very scared and choked up. Talking about less serious stuff helps take my mind off it for a short while, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way. You're the one who is lacking both compassion and empathy by not recognizing that fact.

Well said. My mom hasn't had any power or phone for 3 days. I don't know what she's doing about her freezer full of meat since I can't get a hold of her with the power being out and all.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, we're all worried about someone.

And where is the rain? My friend is camping at Christina Lake and just reported rain and thunderstorms. Praying for no lightning.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

ok thanks glac . hard to get info about tatla . mom wouldnt leave till they forced her . shes 50 times braver than me :130:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The sucks right now in the Okanagan at 7. Williams Lake is off the charts at 30!

AirQuality.jpg
- Douglas Murray
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Seems that this model is showing an abatement of the smoke in the Smokanagan by Tuesday afternoon. But it's just a prediction remember.

http://weather.gc.ca/firework/firework_ ... =em&utc=00
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Glacier wrote:On a scale of 1 to 10, the air quality in Williams Lake is 24! Vernon is bad too at, but it's only 7.

it is not a scale of 1-10 it is a scale of 1-10+

however rarely to we get above 3 outside the lower mainland so yes the air is terrible.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Glacier wrote: My mom hasn't had any power or phone for 3 days. I don't know what she's doing about her freezer full of meat since I can't get a hold of her with the power being out and all.

Hopefully she's got a generator. My son has one but hasn't had to use it yet (thank goodness).
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Glacier wrote:The sucks right now in the Okanagan at 7. Williams Lake is off the charts at 30!

Now at 36! I don't remember seeing a higher number.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/bcairquali ... s-map.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Crazy off the charts!
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

They aren't stopping the smoke at the border. :-X There's supposed to be a big mountain in the center there.

004.JPG
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yea wash st is prolly thinking weed legal already up there ?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

[icon_lol2.gif] It's legal in Washington, so maybe that's part of it?

It's crazy, I poured a cup of coffee this morning, could smell coffee and smoke and thought I was camping!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

we could use the smoke as NAFTA negotiation tactic. We should be charging them a tariff!

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”