Smokanagan - again

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Smokanagan - again

Post by tsayta »

If you watch the visible satellite frames, there is a hard stop line of smoke moving south from Kamloops. With some luck this will clear out later today
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kamloops was supposed to hit 38 degrees yesterday, but it was so smokey that it didn't even hit 31!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I wonder how much extra pollution tonight's fireworks display is going to pile on to our less than stellar air quality. I'm not sure letting them go ahead under the current conditions is a good decision.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Catri wrote:I wonder how much extra pollution tonight's fireworks display is going to pile on to our less than stellar air quality. I'm not sure letting them go ahead under the current conditions is a good decision.

... Or if we will even be able to see them
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203570

IH is having its own crash and burn.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Woodenhead wrote:Damn that smoke looks gross. I can taste it, even. Ugh, go away! At least it makes for pretty sunsets & sunrises.

Sure does. This is looking out towards Peachland from Okanagan Mountain Park.
20170802_195257.jpeg
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wow, 7 pages about smoke. Unless you have the biggest fan ever built, the smoke will continue until there is a eastern flow
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Remember when we used to think the Princeton fire was massive because it hit 3,000 hectares? Well, it now sounds like a small little campfire in comparison to some of the other fires burning right now. Here's a list of all 3,000 hectare fires in BC this year, most of which are sending the smoke directly our way today:

Largestfires2017b.png

Additionally, the largest fire in the Kamloops zone, the largest fire in the Coastal zone, and the largest fire in the Prince George zone are bordering the Cariboo. Some years the Cariboo is one of the least active zones, but definitely not this year!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203842

I'm finding it difficult to even do gardening lately. Just can't be out there as long or do what I used to.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#203842

I'm finding it difficult to even do gardening lately. Just can't be out there as long or do what I used to.

Its been 10+ days, even though we don't have fire in the immediate area, this is like 2003 just because of the smoke.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

This mornings smoke modeling is suggesting some cleaner air starting around noon. It'll be nice to see the sun again, but I don't suspect it's going to last long.

http://www.weather.gc.ca/firework/firew ... =em&utc=12
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I was in Kamloops last night. Holy Smokes was it smokey!!!
- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

A break from the smoke?

Southerly flow might give most of us a break, but the Diamond Creek fire south of the border is very active today. More active than the smoke model would suggest, IMHO. Our break may be short lived, and in fact I would suggest, the smoke (for some) might get a little more acrid this evening.

Enjoy the fresher air while you can.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

T'is a tiny bit less smokey this morning, I can see Knox Mt and it's brighter out there. Is there hope yet for today that what is lingering will be swept out by rain and wind?
puttrench

Post by puttrench »

Just curious, what do you say to someone who minimizes the loss of homes for some people by saying "homes can be rebuilt!"
:-X

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”