Why So Many Interface Fires Lately?

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Why So Many Interface Fires Lately?

Post by WalterWhite »

Does it not seem like there's been an increase in not only the number of interface fires in recent years, but also the severity/loss to structures? Maybe it's partly due to the transfer of information, which today is hundreds of times faster than in the 70's and 80's and therefore it's just more prevalent in our instant info society. I just don't recall hearing or witnessing these sorts of interface situations before. I'm sure there's stats out there either confirming or debunking my thoughts - just haven't come across them yet.

Lots of variables with weather patterns, further development into previously undeveloped forests, build up of fuels in parks and crown lands furthered by fire suppression, pine beetle kill, more people entering the backcountry - and a myriad of combinations I'm sure all likely contribute in some manner or another. Thoughts?
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Re: Why So Many Interface Fires Lately?

Post by tsayta »

Agree. My house was built in 2004.in 2007 when I asked for a building permit for a pool I had to agree to the new wildfire covenant. My summer house is on canim lake. I'm very concerned right now given all the south cariboo fire. I think from today forward I will govern myself differently. For example, I will be guided by the Kelowna covenant : no brush, grass, trees within a certain distance. Summer house already has a steel roof.
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

As the population grows the amount of interface grows. Lots of areas that used to be bush have houses and subdivisions in them now.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

canuck500 wrote:As the population grows the amount of interface grows. Lots of areas that used to be bush have houses and subdivisions in them now.

But the population is not growing in most of BC where these interface fires are located. My question is this, about 15 years ago they got rid of the fire lookouts. I wonder if that has had any impact on the number of large fires?

BTW, the 1980s and 1990s had the coolest and wettest summers on record in BC since records began in the 1870s. Since then we've had two decades that rival the 1930s as the hottest on record. I suspect that this is the largest reason for the increase in interface fires.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

There are more homes in interface areas. As far as fire look outs. The new system of lightning tracking and flight patrols covers far more area then a lookout ever will. Beetle Kill and dry condition play a bigger part in large fires.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Almost all these interface fires are not in the pine. Williams Lake is too warm for lodgepole pine to grow (it's all Douglas Fir). Ashcroft is too warm for any tries to grow. Alexis Creek is almost all douglas fir. 150 Mile House is almost all Douglas Fir. 100 Mile is almost all Douglas Fir.

Interface for you: https://www.facebook.com/george.baba2/p ... 5020864813
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Glacier wrote:Almost all these interface fires are not in the pine. Williams Lake is too warm for lodgepole pine to grow (it's all Douglas Fir). Ashcroft is too warm for any tries to grow. Alexis Creek is almost all douglas fir. 150 Mile House is almost all Douglas Fir. 100 Mile is almost all Douglas Fir.

Interface for you: https://www.facebook.com/george.baba2/p ... 5020864813

theres pine all over those areas just like there is here
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Glacier is talking about lodgepole
WW
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

so am i
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My dad lives in Williams Lake. I've been there 100s of times, and never seen a lodgepole pine. There might be a few way up on the tops of the hills around the city, but they are few and far between. 105 Mile has more, but it's still almost all Doug Fir, at least where most of the houses are. You do get pine as the dominant species as you climb above 3200 ft. Most of the interface fires are in the orange section (Douglas Fir). The one exception is Horsefly, which is mostly aspen (poplar) and spruce transitioning to cedar further east.
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

In the okanagan, Kamloops, lower Thompson, the interface fires are predominantly ponderosa pine + d-fir
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:In the okanagan, Kamloops, lower Thompson, the interface fires are predominantly ponderosa pine + d-fir

Yup, same goes for the Cariboo, except the ponderosa pine doesn't grow much past Clinton, although up the north Thompson it grows up to about Clearwater. The dominant species from 100 Mile to Williams Lake to almost to Quesnel is Douglas Fir. West from Williams Lake it's Douglas Fir along the Chilcotin and Fraser river valleys it is Douglas fir to past Alexis Creek. Once you get past Alexis Creek it get really interesting. Because of the strong temperature inversions at night, the lodgepole grows right down in the valley bottom where it's too cold for Doug Fir, but the Douglas Fir dominates the hillsides.

South of Williams Lake along the Fraser there aren't really any trees below 2000 ft, but it's Douglas fir up to 4000 ft on either side until it starts mixing with Ponderosa Pine south of Dog Creek.

Check out this picture taken at 3500 ft above sea level on the Chilcotin plateau. Doug Fir is the dominant species here too.
- Douglas Murray
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Well, whatever type of tree each area has one things certain.... Wait for it............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
They all burn!!!!!!!!!!!!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

fall wrote:Well, whatever type of tree each area has one things certain.... Wait for it............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
They all burn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol... So true
WW

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”