Cigarette Ban

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Cigarette Ban

Post by Sparki55 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Perhaps insurance rates should reflect that.

Then start charging obese people more too. They take up their fair share of the healthcare system. There is likely an argument that someone who is obese uses more health care funds than a smoker.
Yes, people can get nicotine from other sources but that makes as much sense as saying everything can be cooked in a microwave where there is less risk of house fire so we should ban the sale of stoves/ ovens.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

How many living things do obese people kill?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

$1 per cigarette deposit. Bring the butts back, get your deposit back. Doesn't cost the smoker any extra if they return them and $1 per is a big incentive to return the butts. Besides helping to prevent wildfires this would also clean up the streets, beaches and trails.

After witnessing the idiots leaving their beer/pop cans and bottles everywhere you realize that the deposit would have to be significant as 5 or 10 cents seems to have no effect. I wouldn't be opposed to increasing the deposit on cans and bottles as well as I'm sick of seeing them all over the beaches and trails.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

A case might be made for charging obese people a medical premium. But that isn't what we are discussing.
Besides if someone is obese, they don't set a whole town on fire exposing thousands to the risk of dying in a fire, smoke inhalation, increased risk from stress of heart attack, other stress related illness and mental illness at the devastation of their neighborhood, or close calls in destroying their town and livelihood.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Our best bet is to ban human beings who seek to put controls and restrictions on other human beings.

Anyone who vies for further government control has a real deficit of self.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Because_They_Lie wrote:Our best bet is to ban human beings who seek to put controls and restrictions on other human beings.

Anyone who vies for further government control has a real deficit of self.

Another *yawn* comment about a very serious situation. Losing any live being to anything related to cigarettes shouldn't be a "yawn" moment. Get a grip. I'm not that complacent to disregard any life and having worked with those that smoked through a hole in their throat and knowing those that have perished in a house fire because of a cigarette (and of course the endless lives lost of an animal nature) - really what do you suggest?
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Can all of the posters accusing smokers of being responsible for the loss of lives and property...please enlighten the rest of us as to exactly which fires have been caused by smokers thus far ????

I have seen the reports of lightening caused fires and the fires that have been deliberately lit by arsonists.
Where do the cigarettes come in here ??

Oh, wait...there was one woman on the news saying that one of the fires last week was definitely from someone throwing a cigarette out of their window. Although...well, she didn't actually see it...and she didn't actually know who did it or which car it came from....but it must have definitely been a cigarette. :135:

I mean...what else could possibly start a fire....right ???
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Farmmaa wrote:Can all of the posters accusing smokers of being responsible for the loss of lives and property...please enlighten the rest of us as to exactly which fires have been caused by smokers thus far ????

I have seen the reports of lightening caused fires and the fires that have been deliberately lit by arsonists.

Oh, wait...there was one woman on the news saying that one of the fires last week was definitely from someone throwing a cigarette out of their window. Although...well, she didn't actually see it...and she didn't actually know who did it or which car it came from....but it must have definitely been a cigarette. :135:

Oh I don't know ... Perhaps a match from someone lighting a cigarette!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Farmmaa wrote:Can all of the posters accusing smokers of being responsible for the loss of lives and property...please enlighten the rest of us as to exactly which fires have been caused by smokers thus far ????

A tossed cigarette can and has started fires.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

only ban them when the risk is high but don't ban them in winter or whatever

amirite?
Your bias suits you.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

After the first downpour this thread will be buried till next dry spell.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

We know there are multiple possible reasons for a fire starting. One of those possible reasons is discarded cigarette butts. Otherwise you are arguing either that a) it never happens (when we know it does) and b) it doesn't matter because smoking is more important than security of property and person. If there was some good thing that came of smoking, let's say it cured cancer, or improved respiratory health, we could debate the good vs. the harm or potential harm. We do this everyday when we choose our diet, or a medication, or a recreational activity, or a form of transportation. I think the balance of good vs. harm is pretty clear with smoking. IF there is some good that can be found for nicotine, well then let's allow nicotine consumption without millions of people carrying around burning materials day after day.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jimmy4321 wrote:After the first downpour this thread will be buried till next dry spell.
As if this thread is just about forest fires - improperly discarded cigarettes have caused all sorts of fires.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Would like to share that folks up here in Joe Rich post almost everyday of fears watching people pulled over on the side

of the roads enjoying a smoke right beside dried grass and bush. It scares people so much they post to others to go by and

check to see if everything is okay. Some pull over spots up here are riddled with discarded cigarette butts.

It's just freaking scary. You live right in the middle of tinder dry bush and grasses and you don't want anyone coming up here.

The whole Community watches the skies for smoke. Good thing is our Community has drawn closer to each other.

Smoking, RVing, camping, ATVing, even hiking, you name it when it's this dry many folks want backcountry access banned.

There are way too many fools out there and the risks get higher every day.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I don't know if you saw the video, where the burn pattern clearly started by the side of the road, and spread out from there (very early in the life of the fire). Now fires don't start themselves. If there was no lightning in the area, or other wildfires nearby, what do you suppose would cause a small spot fire by the side of the road, no vehicle in sight, except traffic passing by?

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”