Air tanker support?

sherriff
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Air tanker support?

Post by sherriff »

Has anyone heard of Global Supertanker located in Colorado. Are we worried about the cost of fighting these fires and cannot afford help? Over three hundred structures and counting. Ranches burnt, cattle burned alive, etc. and now a Hydro substation serving Vancouver in danger. We better get some outside air support before someone is killed. I am sure we are doing what we can with what we have but these fires are all out of control and have been pretty much since the have started. It is very obvious we need larger aircraft. Tired of hearing you can't stop forest fires with water. Maybe if we try it might work. It definitely can not do any damage.
Last edited by sherriff on Aug 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60433
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by Fancy »

Think it has been explained that the big tankers can only access certain bodies of water and the fire crews below have to vacate.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4700
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by LTD »

perhaps if they dropped the water from higher it would be more like rain instead of a massive wall of water
seewood
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3614
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by seewood »

I believe Global Supertankers are land based aircraft. They need long runways and support services suitable for DC-10's or 747's.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60433
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:perhaps if they dropped the water from higher it would be more like rain instead of a massive wall of water

Heat from the fire would evaporate the rain in a heartbeat.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sherriff
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by sherriff »

LTD wrote:perhaps if they dropped the water from higher it would be more like rain instead of a massive wall of water

Look it up,,,,google supertanker ,,,,,,,,,,it has a pressurised system that does make it rain for 5 kilometeres
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60433
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sherriff
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by sherriff »

seewood wrote:I believe Global Supertankers are land based aircraft. They need long runways and support services suitable for DC-10's or 747's.

You are right, the 747 needs 6900 ft and Kelowna is 8900 ft.
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60433
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sherriff
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by sherriff »

Too bad as it has proven itself in Chile and Isreal where it actually saved firefighters by dropping water in rain form and saved their lives from their predicament. It also has interim approval in U.S. Some countries realize having the fire out is more important than paperwork. Sure does sound like one hell of a bomber!
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60433
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by Fancy »

Well there's nothing Canada can do if the plane is being used for the California fires.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
sherriff
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by sherriff »

Fancy wrote:Well there's nothing Canada can do if the plane is being used for the California fires.

Don't hurt too ask?
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 31452
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by GordonH »

seewood wrote:I believe Global Supertankers are land based aircraft. They need long runways and support services suitable for DC-10's or 747's.

sherriff wrote:You are right, the 747 needs 6900 ft and Kelowna is 8900 ft.


So are you saying reroute commercial aircraft to Vancouver so these global Supertankers can use Kelowna airport.
"You've Gotta' Ask Yourself A Question. 'Do I Feel Lucky?' Well Do Ya...PUNK?" Harry Callahan
I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sherriff
Posts: 63
Joined: Aug 1st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by sherriff »

GordonH wrote:
seewood wrote:I believe Global Supertankers are land based aircraft. They need long runways and support services suitable for DC-10's or 747's.

sherriff wrote:You are right, the 747 needs 6900 ft and Kelowna is 8900 ft.


So are you saying reroute commercial aircraft to Vancouver so these global Supertankers can use Kelowna airport.

More than one plane can land at Kelowna, thousands of evacuees can fit into small towns. What is your point, don't you think we could help these people? So what if there is a 15 or 20 minute delay.
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60433
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: air tanker support?

Post by Fancy »

sherriff wrote:Don't hurt too ask?

Never hurts to ask. Hopefully approval will be granted so Canada can at least act on it if necessary.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”