Fire Philpot and 33

firefox0085

Re: Fire Philpot and 33

Post by firefox0085 »

George:

"20% is excellent progress.
And a good retardant barrier on the North flank.
Stay positive.
All crews are dug in for a hard stand."

As a Fire Boss in BC of long standing, I'd like to address your post, which is well meant.

"20%" control is only at the weakest point of the fire, something the burn has already passed by, the head is somewheres else.

"good retardant barrier"...Which lasts until the water in the mix evaporates, which takes only a few hours. Then it's just red-coloured bush.

"All crews dug in..." I hope they are not determined to 'dig in" at one place, all crews need to be ready to run for it when you have to...
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

https://www.cordemergency.ca/updates/philpott-road-fire-news-release-no-11-sun-2017-08-27-1100

Approximately 600 residents in the area of the Philpott Road fire will be allowed to return home this morning, but will remain on alert to be re-evacuated if needed.

The Evacuation Order will be partially rescinded for 263 properties as of 11 a.m. today for the following areas:

3595-8295 Highway 33
1522-1916 Boone Court
2005-2155 Daves Road
7498-7790 Falcon Road
7604-7995 Falcon Ridge Crescent
7010-7410 Goshawk Road
5609-7550 Goudie Road ***EXCLUDING 6785 Goudie Road
7411-7491 Hawk Road
1306-2098 Huckleberry Road
1114-1395 Jack Pine Road
450-490 Prather Road
4502 Pyman Road
6491-6739 Sun Valley Road ***EXCLUDING 6738 Sun Valley Road
7305-7320 Trapper Court
12550-14000 Highway 33
2770-3110 Schram Road

For safety reasons, the return home is going to be a slow process. Residents are urged to be patient as RCMP, Ministry of Transportation and Canadian Forces personnel manage the return to neighbourhoods where Evacuation Orders have been rescinded. Many of these areas are beside areas that remain on Evacuation Order.

Other than household pets, like cats and dogs, animals are not be permitted back in at this time, due to the uncertainty about fire behaviour and the potential for Evacuation Orders to be re-instated if necessary.

Residents on the Falcon Ridge water system are restricted to household use only – no irrigation permitted to preserve water supply to fight the fire.
Your bias suits you.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Great news thanks to the hard work of fire crews.

Hopefully, all shortly.

Forestry says fire is in "mop up stages."

Great job guys and gals.

A very well coordinated response.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

firefox0085 wrote:tsayla:

No, I do mean more recently, but I'm only going on pictures the news publishes. No Rank 3 ever but up so much billowing -out black smoke indicating severe fire activity, You'll recall I'm a fire boss, and through that work, i was named an "Essential Service" to BC. I know fires 'cuz I fight them, do you...? Rank 3's are basically just ground fires, with some open flame and embers all over. They are NOT up in the trees, candling like crazy as on this fire. Just judging by the pictures, this fire still looks to be building strong, and no crew yet could attack its head, direct attack is too dangerous...It is definitely beyond Rank Three. I can put those out without too much trouble...

The pictures you're looking at are from the afternoon of the 24th during the fires initial run up the slope.
This is what it looks like now:

Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

firefox0085 wrote:tsayla:

No, I do mean more recently, but I'm only going on pictures the news publishes. No Rank 3 ever but up so much billowing -out black smoke indicating severe fire activity, You'll recall I'm a fire boss, and through that work, i was named an "Essential Service" to BC. I know fires 'cuz I fight them, do you...? Rank 3's are basically just ground fires, with some open flame and embers all over. They are NOT up in the trees, candling like crazy as on this fire. Just judging by the pictures, this fire still looks to be building strong, and no crew yet could attack its head, direct attack is too dangerous...It is definitely beyond Rank Three. I can put those out without too much trouble...

IFR, 14:42 Aug, 24th - Bravo 4-5 "how on that?" (eom)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
mooseman

Post by mooseman »

That aerial View is great . Is it possible to get one from a little further back to show properties a bit more to the left as well? we are right on edge of the fires initial burn area before Philpott Road and we're still not allowed back up .I'm curious to see how close it is from an aerial view to our property any help is much appreciated thanks
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

mooseman wrote:That aerial View is great . Is it possible to get one from a little further back to show properties a bit more to the left as well? we are right on edge of the fires initial burn area before Philpott Road and we're still not allowed back up .I'm curious to see how close it is from an aerial view to our property any help is much appreciated thanks

I agree, great shot! Is that the highway and Philpott at the bottom of the frame? Trying to get a frame of reference.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

ShannonG wrote:I agree, great shot! Is that the highway and Philpott at the bottom of the frame? Trying to get a frame of reference.

Yes where the road forks is highway 33 & Philpott road.
Got the photo from here: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Photos.asp?Folder=653&Count=4
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Just to clear things up
Attachments
Philpott and 33 50%.jpg
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Frisk wrote:
ShannonG wrote:I agree, great shot! Is that the highway and Philpott at the bottom of the frame? Trying to get a frame of reference.

Yes where the road forks is highway 33 & Philpott road.
Got the photo from here: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScripts/WildfireNews/Photos.asp?Folder=653&Count=4

I am about 12-15 km straight West of that crossroad.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

My oh my the traffic lineups on Hwy 33 to go through and return to residences are unreal.

So much so that some residents are wondering how many people have real reasons to be out there as

opposed to those just on a Sunday drive taking photos. There are people out here on motorcycles... :up:

Oh well, folks are happy to be heading home and those that are still on alert are GREEN.

The air crews are going hard at it but MAN its hot up here...over 30 in the shade.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
goldengirl

Post by goldengirl »

Anyone know how the Traffic is now?
How old would you be...... if you didn't know how old you were?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

goldengirl wrote:Anyone know how the Traffic is now?

Hummm...in one word?

CLUSTER

Been one all day.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Post by grumpies daughter »

I just got an unconfirmed report that 33 is closed again, anybody hear anything?
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
mxfarmgirl
Fledgling

Post by mxfarmgirl »

Yes, closed at Gallager again. Due to a flare up. My daughter went around Joe Rich road then onto hwy 33 to Goudie.
If it's really COMMON SENSE.......why do so few people actually have it???

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!!

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”