Why Do I have to Register at a Church!???

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Why Do I have to Register at a Church!???

Post by Glacier »

On honour of the late, great grammafreddy, it just has to be asked!
An Emergency Support Services reception centre is being set up at Willow Park Church in Kelowna.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... of-kelowna
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Re: Why Do I have to Register at a Church!???

Post by Snickerdoodle »

Why does it matter what the day use of the 4 walls that the Emergency Response Team is using.... Its not like you have to join some religious cult before you get assistance. It comes down to what resources are easily and closely available that will house the number of evacuee's that will be coming in for help.

They could put it in the mall or Prospera Place if need be... but is that the most central and likely easy parking, and handicap accessable, AND cheap/free for the current fire. Not really sure of where else you would like these people to go? The YM/WCA is non denominational but is it easily accessable for if needed 1000 people to fit in to register?

As someone that has been through this before, I don't care where I had to register as long as the people that were receiving me were understanding, supportive, and could in essence catch me as I fold from sheer fear and exausten of fleeing from these beasts.

I know how packed the 2003 fire registration location was, and to this day years and years later I remember the feeling of just being somewhere safe with people whose only job at that moment was to make me feel as normal, safe and helped as they could. And from what I understand from friends that registered last night at the church - that is exactly what they felt as they walked in those doors.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Snickerdoodle wrote:Why does it matter what the day use of the 4 walls that the Emergency Response Team is using.... Its not like you have to join some religious cult before you get assistance. It comes down to what resources are easily and closely available that will house the number of evacuee's that will be coming in for help.

They could put it in the mall or Prospera Place if need be... but is that the most central and likely easy parking, and handicap accessable, AND cheap/free for the current fire. Not really sure of where else you would like these people to go? The YM/WCA is non denominational but is it easily accessable for if needed 1000 people to fit in to register?

As someone that has been through this before, I don't care where I had to register as long as the people that were receiving me were understanding, supportive, and could in essence catch me as I fold from sheer fear and exausten of fleeing from these beasts.

I know how packed the 2003 fire registration location was, and to this day years and years later I remember the feeling of just being somewhere safe with people whose only job at that moment was to make me feel as normal, safe and helped as they could. And from what I understand from friends that registered last night at the church - that is exactly what they felt as they walked in those doors.

well said

they often use schools as well. Good on the church for stepping up
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No better church than Willow Park Church.

Spacious.
Good parking.
Close to food/amenities.
On public transport routes.

It was very generous of them to open up. Just like the Evangel did in 2003 for the Mission victims of fire.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Glacier wrote:On honour of the late, great grammafreddy, it just has to be asked!
An Emergency Support Services reception centre is being set up at Willow Park Church in Kelowna.

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... of-kelowna

I agree with above, doesn't really matter if it is in a church or not. Good for them for helping.

I will say, that I remember at the last federal election I had to go vote at a local church. There was quite a wait (that's to the retirement home down the street), and I couldn't help but notice all the anti-abortion signs that were posted all over the church. I rolled my eyes and found the irony in it.
hail Satan y'all
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

whatwhat wrote:I agree with above, doesn't really matter if it is in a church or not. Good for them for helping.

I will say, that I remember at the last federal election I had to go vote at a local church. There was quite a wait (that's to the retirement home down the street), and I couldn't help but notice all the anti-abortion signs that were posted all over the church. I rolled my eyes and found the irony in it.

I agree that it doesn't matter, and I think it's great that the churches can be used for voting and evacuation centres. I was just remembering that Grammafreddy and DonaldG didn't like it so much, and since they are up there at the pearly gates trying to argue their way inside, I thought someone had to speak on their behalf down here on earth.

My kids had their music recital in the Anglican Church, and my experience was the complete opposite of yours. I saw posters all over the place about buying Palestinian olive oil to support their cause in the Middle East. There was also fair trade organic GMO-free coffee to support the environment and other poor nations.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ if more areas had civic centre &/or community hall(s). Schools work during early part of summer holidays. Since they are now getting prepared for a new school year, that option should be off the board.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Glacier wrote:since they are up there at the pearly gates trying to argue their way inside, I thought someone had to speak on their behalf down here on earth.

There's no such thing, what the heck are you talking about? Make some sense, dood.
Your bias suits you.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

I could and would certainly understand the concern if churches didn't step up to help their communities in a time such as this. Great job - and that's from a non-believer.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Woodenhead wrote:
Glacier wrote:since they are up there at the pearly gates trying to argue their way inside, I thought someone had to speak on their behalf down here on earth.

There's no such thing, what the heck are you talking about? Make some sense, dood.

Nothing I've said so far in this thread makes sense, so why would I start now!!!!!!!!!!?????
- Douglas Murray
willmath

Post by willmath »

Church, school, community centre - does it matter where you register - just be glad there are volunteers in this community who get up at all hours of the day or night - 24/7, 365 days and head out to these centres to help the evacuees. Emergency Support Services deals with all evacuees, be it one house fire or the interface fires that we're facing now. Between the floods in May, supporting evacuees from Okanagan Centre, Truswell fires, the Cariboo fires (over 1500 registered in Kelowna), volunteers from the Central Okanagan have been keeping Reception Centres open for over 75 days ... and it's still ongoing.

And that doesn't begin to count the number of hours spent in preparation for these events, training, meetings' and getting the word out to the communities about the "Volunteers Needed".

So if you've got a problem with where you have to register ... how about trying to be part of the solutution
REDNECK 99

Post by REDNECK 99 »

This is a lame attempt of a stir the pot post . People's homes are at risk today and lives are being changed by fire. I recommend no one else feeds "this fire" and this post burns out
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

WADR... bit of an inside joke gone awry, or what? FWIW, I appreciate the OP paying some homage to two long term castanet forum contributors. Sorry some of you can't see that.

Grammafreddy would this thread sorted in minutes.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

REDNECK 99 wrote:This is a lame attempt of a stir the pot post . People's homes are at risk today and lives are being changed by fire. I recommend no one else feeds "this fire" and this post burns out

It was a joke to lighten the mood. Sorry you did not get it, or any of the others that didn't get it.
I did. Grammafreddy did as well.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

When are the bars going to catch on to this ? If I was evacuated I would like to sit down to a cold pint.
Black Dogs Matter

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”