Finlay Creek Fire

User avatar
klc
Posts: 57
Joined: Oct 6th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by klc »

The BC fire map seems different than yesterday, with less fire area marked inside Darke Lake park itself. It doesn't seem possible that the fire has actually retreated, and everybody seemed sure that it had got into the park area. Could the map layers be out of alignment or something?

The map I'm looking at is:
https://maps.gov.bc.ca/ess/hm/imap4m/?c ... ,1752,1753

I have family who live inside that rectangular "cut out" area at the bottom of the park, so I"m watching closely and hoping their houses make it.

~klc
User avatar
klc
Posts: 57
Joined: Oct 6th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by klc »

Yes, the smaller fire footprint has been confirmed by the RDOS / Summerland update this morning at 10 am. Summerland is posting info on their Facebook page also:
https://www.facebook.com/SummerlandBC
User avatar
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3838
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by WalterWhite »

Great to see the stupid people are still alive and kicking.
The aircraft need to do a couple of dump runs on boaters that are simply too stupid to get it.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205814
craigt
Posts: 63
Joined: Oct 11th, 2005, 7:55 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by craigt »

so castanaet shows a boat in the way of planes trying to skim water for the fires , wheres the RCMP boat that should be out there handing out a ticket to all on the boat ??????
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
Posts: 64730
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by Queen K »

I don't care how loud the Rock n' Roll is, those boaters need to spend time in jail. :cuss:
Want your bags of leaves gone? Put a "free" sign on them out by the road so people can grab them.
User avatar
tsayta
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3687
Joined: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:25 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by tsayta »

Queen K wrote:I don't care how loud the Rock n' Roll is, those boaters need to spend time in jail. :cuss:

It's almost like evolution has been reversed these days. Niwradism
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60042
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by The Green Barbarian »

WalterWhite wrote:Great to see the stupid people are still alive and kicking.
The aircraft need to do a couple of dump runs on boaters that are simply too stupid to get it.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205814


every year, it's the same thing. Just ridiculous.

So what's the latest? I was looking forward to an update from Logman.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
logman
Übergod
Posts: 1203
Joined: Apr 9th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by logman »

I was on the north/Peachland end of the fire today. Finally today have security 24/7 keeping the public out.
We pushed the gaurd through and met up with the guys working from the south. There is a decent guard on the Peachland side. It is very steep. The forestry crew hand fallers were working hard on the steep slopes.
Tomorrow is cutting and building a secondary fire line on the Peachland side. If the wind changes to the north and jumps the guard this will be a second chance. Visible from Princeton ave we will be cutting down the face on the slope to the orchard above antlers beach. Above the trailer park at antlers beach if that makes sense. A gaurd from there up to 2km on Monroe fsr.
User avatar
tsayta
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3687
Joined: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:25 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by tsayta »

logman wrote:I was on the north/Peachland end of the fire today. Finally today have security 24/7 keeping the public out.
We pushed the gaurd through and met up with the guys working from the south. There is a decent guard on the Peachland side. It is very steep. The forestry crew hand fallers were working hard on the steep slopes.
Tomorrow is cutting and building a secondary fire line on the Peachland side. If the wind changes to the north and jumps the guard this will be a second chance. Visible from Princeton ave we will be cutting down the face on the slope to the orchard above antlers beach. Above the trailer park at antlers beach if that makes sense. A gaurd from there up to 2km on Monroe fsr.

Hard work. Amazing. Thank you
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
User avatar
watchkat
Übergod
Posts: 1316
Joined: Jun 4th, 2005, 9:24 am

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by watchkat »

logman wrote:I was on the north/Peachland end of the fire today. Finally today have security 24/7 keeping the public out.
We pushed the gaurd through and met up with the guys working from the south. There is a decent guard on the Peachland side. It is very steep. The forestry crew hand fallers were working hard on the steep slopes.
Tomorrow is cutting and building a secondary fire line on the Peachland side. If the wind changes to the north and jumps the guard this will be a second chance. Visible from Princeton ave we will be cutting down the face on the slope to the orchard above antlers beach. Above the trailer park at antlers beach if that makes sense. A gaurd from there up to 2km on Monroe fsr.



I just followed an empty lowbed up.....guess you guys are moving equipment.

Last night you mentioned widening a road..........is that by any chance the old road that was useable half way up the side of Deep Creek on the south side and ran from upper McDougall area all the way down the canyon a bit higher than theelevation of the mobile home park on the north side. It allowed access right out to Log Chute Road and down to Thorne Road.
Somehow, the orchard expanded and cut that access off for the public.........still can't understand all that, but I guess that is another story.
Speaking of water............I still wonder where all the water for the orchard is coming from............anyone know? I ask, but no one seems to be able to supply me with an answer.
User avatar
logman
Übergod
Posts: 1203
Joined: Apr 9th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by logman »

The equipment that came through from the south to the north is being bedded back south. Today's goal was to push the fire line through. It's a long way back. We accomplished that join up of fire guard today. I don't have info on the south as I have not been there. Just minimal word from the guys cutting guard that we met up with today.
Tomorrow is a day building secondary guard down to the orchard above antler beach.
User avatar
logman
Übergod
Posts: 1203
Joined: Apr 9th, 2006, 10:35 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by logman »

Yes Watchcat. I believe that is the road we will be widening starting tomorrow. The backup plan if the winds change and jump the existing guard. It runs from 2 km on Monroe fsr down to the orchard above antlers beach.
User avatar
watchkat
Übergod
Posts: 1316
Joined: Jun 4th, 2005, 9:24 am

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by watchkat »

logman wrote:The equipment that came through from the south to the north is being bedded back south. Today's goal was to push the fire line through. It's a long way back. We accomplished that join up of fire guard today. I don't have info on the south as I have not been there. Just minimal word from the guys cutting guard that we met up with today.
Tomorrow is a day building secondary guard down to the orchard above antler beach.


yes that secondary road down to the orchard above antler beach........that is what I was wondering about.....the orchard expansion blocked log chute road and access to the road that runs midway up the side of deep creek and out to the upper end of the canyon by McDougall.
User avatar
watchkat
Übergod
Posts: 1316
Joined: Jun 4th, 2005, 9:24 am

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by watchkat »

logman wrote:Yes Watchcat. I believe that is the road we will be widening starting tomorrow. The backup plan if the winds change and jump the existing guard. It runs from 2 km on Monroe fsr down to the orchard above antlers beach.


Thanks, a lot of people will be happy to see that road reopen.......it was a real shortcut for a lot of "bush" types. We used to see them all the time and then it stopped.
Thanks again for the information.
User avatar
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 737
Joined: Jul 12th, 2007, 5:57 pm

Re: Finlay Creek Fire

Post by wanderer »

IMPORTANT: Area restriction now in effect for all Crown land in the vicinity of the Finlay Creek

http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... sp?ID=2888

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”