Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Rjamer
Übergod
Posts: 1132
Joined: Oct 26th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Rjamer »

It is right on the lake shore...
artifact cat
Fledgling
Posts: 108
Joined: Oct 13th, 2005, 12:35 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by artifact cat »

The small forest fire of about an acre is directly across from Peachland and is moving slowly South East in a gully of brush and trees. No one yet seen from Peachland fighting the fire.
Please email for picture and further information.
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 59439
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Fancy »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#208012
I would imagine another human caused fire.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
watchkat
Übergod
Posts: 1316
Joined: Jun 4th, 2005, 9:24 am

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by watchkat »

I sure hope they have learned from the 2003 fire. I watched that one at 10am the first morning, when it was still on the beach and they told Peachland Fire to Stand down. We all know how that one ended and this one is now at 2.5 acres.
Any sign of attempts to actually snuff it out?
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 59439
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Fancy »

watchkat wrote:Any sign of attempts to actually snuff it out?
As noted, they are working on a strategy
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3442
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by TreeGuy »

Let it burn itself out, there isn't any fuel around there, how far could it go?
User avatar
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2925
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by JagXKR »

Yes let it burn. There is not enough fuel to take it anywhere. The north wind coming down the lake will blow it to already burned areas and rocky areas. Also looking north I see very little smoke, well none actually. For a fire that's been burning for hours it seems not much of an issue. There's an Electra sitting here if needed. Only a few minutes away.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3442
Joined: Oct 9th, 2005, 10:02 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by TreeGuy »

gman313
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3427
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by gman313 »

watchkat wrote:I sure hope they have learned from the 2003 fire. I watched that one at 10am the first morning, when it was still on the beach and they told Peachland Fire to Stand down. We all know how that one ended and this one is now at 2.5 acres.
Any sign of attempts to actually snuff it out?


completely different time of year it is very different

get over it
User avatar
Frisk
Guru
Posts: 9072
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Frisk »

From the article:

Where are the bombers? ... If this fire was four weeks ago, the cavalry would have been sent out already."


...The answer is already in your question. Because it isn't 4 weeks ago. The moisture levels in the heavier fuels is much higher. The fire is just slowly burning and clearing the light ground fuels, which is very beneficial to a ponderosa forest regardless of if it has burned previously or not. Some of the new growth trees will survive while others will die, thinning out the trees and preventing an overgrown forest which would fuel a more intense fire in the future.

It's irritating when the media gives light to those who are clueless on the subject, making the wildfire service look bad. No, the fire won't get anywhere near Kelowna. It isn't August 2003, it's not 30+ and extremely dry. It's October, it's cooler and the fuel moisture levels are higher. The fire is barely even pulling a smoke column together, a helicopter could end it with a couple buckets.
Rjamer
Übergod
Posts: 1132
Joined: Oct 26th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Rjamer »

You do realize of course that the wind has picked up with white caps on the lake.. I can tell you it is" pulling smoke now "
Where are the bombers? ... If this fire was four weeks ago, the cavalry would have been sent out already."


Frisk wrote:From the article:...The answer is already in your question. Because it isn't 4 weeks ago. The moisture levels in the heavier fuels is much higher. The fire is just slowly burning and clearing the light ground fuels, which is very beneficial to a ponderosa forest regardless of if it has burned previously or not. Some of the new growth trees will survive while others will die, thinning out the trees and preventing an overgrown forest which would fuel a more intense fire in the future.

It's irritating when the media gives light to those who are clueless on the subject, making the wildfire service look bad. No, the fire won't get anywhere near Kelowna. It isn't August 2003, it's not 30+ and extremely dry. It's October, it's cooler and the fuel moisture levels are higher. The fire is barely even pulling a smoke column together, a helicopter could end it with a couple buckets.
Last edited by ferri on Oct 2nd, 2017, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote (I think!)
sixxonesixx
Fledgling
Posts: 178
Joined: Jun 9th, 2007, 9:14 am

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by sixxonesixx »

i just heard that the fire will be let go to see what happens. Perfect example of hypocrisy. While everyone talks about the global warming "theories", they continue to let this pollution happen? Just another another show of the many faces of politics. A laughable topic there for another day...
User avatar
Frisk
Guru
Posts: 9072
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 am

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Frisk »

Rjamer wrote:You do realize of course that the wind has picked up with white caps on the lake.. I can tell you it is" pulling smoke now "


Please learn the concept of beneficial fires.
User avatar
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast
Posts: 35008
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by WeatherWoman »

The BC Wildfire Service is working with land managers to implement a modified response to a two-hectare wildfire burning two kilometres north of Rattlesnake Island, on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake.
The primary benefits that we expect to see from this fire include fuel reduction and allowing the natural fire cycle to exist in the landscape. Naturally, the grasslands of the Okanagan would burn every seven to 15 years. Fuel management in this area also will allow wildfires in the future to burn at a lower intensity and therefore be easier to manage.
This time of year lends itself well to a modified response.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4023
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Fire North of Rattle Snake Island

Post by Drip_Torch »

Frisk wrote:
Rjamer wrote:You do realize of course that the wind has picked up with white caps on the lake.. I can tell you it is" pulling smoke now "


Please learn the concept of beneficial fires.


If we ignore the lessons learned in 2003, rush out to OMP and put out every low intensity fire consuming the debris and renewing the grasslands - eventually we'll be confronted with a fire that we can't put out.

Then, pilots can burn up their whole duty day, the coffee pot can be constantly refilled at the EOC, around the clock, and I can sell video to national news networks.

I guess the concept of "beneficial fires" is largely dependant on how you look at it.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “Fire Watch 2017”