Okanagan Mountain Park/Good Creek

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Okanagan Mountain Park/Good Creek

Post by Treblehook »

Lightning strikes observed in Okanagan Mountain Park, and visible flames from the resulting fire can be seen. Good thing most of the fuel was consumed in the last fire that ravaged that area.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Lightning Strikes in Okanagan Mountain Park

Post by LTD »

lots of fuel there still
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Any idea on location?
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

Video sent into Castanet of the fire south of Joe Rich shows flames flickering in the treetops and heavy white smoke billowing into the sky.
However, early reports suggest the fire is small.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -Big-White

They all start small. :135:
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

dominik wrote:Any idea on location?

oddly enough its pretty much the exact same location the 2003 fire started. heavy rain was pouring down on it, shortly after it started. don't have the advantage point right now for an update though
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Nationalpro
Fledgling

Post by Nationalpro »

At the same beach in Lower Mission for 2003 and this evening the fire appears in same area - just off rattlesnake island.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Lots of smoke coming off the fire near rattlesnake island.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i was just down at gelletly nut farm and the fire in OK mountain park is chugging away pretty good . you can see 4 distinct fires from there .2 on each side of the lake
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

LTD wrote:lots of fuel there still

i live near the burnt patch of the glenrosa fire. i hike up on the hillside regularly. there is tons of fuel. more than people think. since the fire the grass and weeds have grown 3 ft tall and its bone dry. all the burnt trees are standing there bone dry. lots of them are windfalls laying all over the ground. the woodpeckers got in there the year after the fire and pecked all the burnt bark off the ponderosa pines .a lot of them have a 3 ft tall pile of bark around their base.the whole hill is pretty much bone dry fuel
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

looks like its picking up
1612.jpg
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
ktowner
Fledgling

Post by ktowner »

eerie how familiar that picture is.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

ktowner wrote:eerie how familiar that picture is.

only photo I could dig upon line of the start of the 2003 fire
orig-mediaitemid46598-1048.png
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Looks like the wind has just really pushed them .
Two large smoke plumes can be seen now from the lower mission that weren't visible all day

You would have thought that 2003 would have taught them not to take these small spot fires for granted just because there are no structures in close proximity.
lakeviewgirl
Fledgling

Post by lakeviewgirl »

Farmmaa wrote:Looks like the wind has just really pushed them .
Two large smoke plumes can be seen now from the lower mission that weren't visible all day

You would have thought that 2003 would have taught them not to take these small spot fires for granted just because there are no structures in close proximity.

I think it was more along the lines of them being strapped for resources and there were more fires close to homes than that one.
Joshmite0904

Post by Joshmite0904 »

What fire right now is producing the huge plume of smoke? I’m watching one of them from my window and can’t tell what one I’m watching.

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”