Yates Road Fire Cause

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by TreeGuy »

Cause Determined, two minors admitted to playing with a lighter to light a small fire. They thought they had stomped it out.

ETA: As reported on CHBC News at 5:30.
Frisk
Guru

Re: Yates Road - Grass Fire

Post by Frisk »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4357674/4357674/

Two youths playing with a lighter was the cause of this afternoon’s fire in Glenmore, according to the Kelowna Fire Department.

“The fire is human caused,” said Tim Light of the Kelowna Fire Department. “We have two minor individuals that have admitted to finding a lighter and lighting a small fire, but stomping it out. And, unfortunately, I guess they didn’t stomp it out enough.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

As bad as what these minors did is, I am glad that they came forward and admitted that they were responsible. That can't be said for many young people these days.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Whyme2, that's not what Daria said, come on, give the kids credit for owning up and being brave enough to face the music.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

how old were these "kids"?
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

My question is are they gonna make the parents pay for everything. There was a case in the US where the kid was put on a payment plan and had to pay huge Bill's. Here's the link https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/jud ... -1.3938988

I guess we will see what the outcome is with this situation.
Last edited by gsc on Jul 27th, 2018, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Snarf wrote:how old were these "kids"?

One news source said 9 and 11. so... you know, kids.

As has been said, they did the right thing and admitted it was their fault.

Little boys have been playing with fire since the dawn of time.

They are not criminals or arsonists.... they are kids, doing stupid kid stuff.
WheelWeaves
Fledgling

Post by WheelWeaves »

While their behavior wasn't ill-spirited, that's hours and hours and hours of effort diverted from real fires that need to be dealt with, never mind the cost of fire retardant and air support, ground control, police efforts.... hope their parents have some money squirreled away.

As far as admitting to it, it is absolutely the right thing to do, but what kind of horrible lesson is it to teach that "oh, you started a fire costing 10s of thousands of dollars or more, put hundreds if not thousands of people through evac alerts, threatened their homes, but you admitted to it, so no harm no foul"...... it is admirable that these kids are cut from some respectable cloth, but that doesn't excuse anything in my eyes.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Queen K wrote:Whyme2, that's not what Daria said, come on, give the kids credit for owning up and being brave enough to face the music.

“NO” why don’t we hug everyone who starts a fire!..... wake up and smell the roses through your pink colour classes.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

daria wrote:As bad as what these minors did is, I am glad that they came forward and admitted that they were responsible. That can't be said for many young people these days.

We are all thrilled that these minors came forward so now let’s charge them. If your home like mine was in jeopardy of going up in smoke you’d not be so happy! :-X
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

The homes of my family members and friends whom I love dearly were in jeopardy, too, but I can still say that it took courage for those children (and at 9 & 11 they are KIDS) to admit that they were responsible. This doesn't absolve them entirely, but it is refreshing to see honesty from kids!
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Whyme2 wrote:
We are all thrilled that these minors came forward so now let’s charge them. If your home like mine was in jeopardy of going up in smoke you’d not be so happy! :-X

Charge them ?
You think a 9 year old who accidently started a fire...and thought they had put it out - not just ran away and let it burn, but tried to put it out... should be criminally charged ???
A 9 year old ???

Good lord.

I'm sorry you're so stressed, but this fire was not started with criminal intent. These were children.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

not to mention, they'd probably never come clean for there mistakes in the future.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I wouldn’t be handing out medals to these kids.

From the Castanet article:

A resident of Moubray Road, close to where the fire started, says she saw someone running from the hill behind her home.

"I thought someone was trapped, so I called emergency services," she says.

"Sixty seconds later, the RCMP K-9 unit is at my door, asking (me) to point out where I saw the alleged culprit.

"Apparently, this fire was intentionally set at the park on our street."

Sounds liked they fessed up after being caught by the K-9 unit.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Farmmaa wrote:
Whyme2 wrote:

Charge them ?
You think a 9 year old who accidently started a fire...and thought they had put it out - not just ran away and let it burn, but tried to put it out... should be criminally charged ???
A 9 year old ???

Good lord.

I'm sorry you're so stressed, but this fire was not started with criminal intent. These were children.

Really, so playing with a lighter is an accidental thing?.. where is it stated it was a 9 year old?

GOOD LORD,

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”