Yates Road Fire Cause

User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by alanjh595 »

This is a "teaching" moment. Children of this age will learn much more if they are not forced to do something as a punishment. They can learn that fire has serious consequences and that it is to be treated with care and respect.

Kids of this age will be much more open to learning if they are taught to treat mistakes as an opportunity to learn and grow.

These children were curious, they made a mistake, they have learned from that mistake, and will not repeat it. Those kids will also go on to teach others within their peer group what they have learned.

At this point, it's the adults that are attempting to stunt their educational growth by harshly penalizing them.
Bring back the LIKE button.
ShannonG
Board Meister
Posts: 426
Joined: Mar 29th, 2006, 1:04 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by ShannonG »

alanjh595 wrote:This is a "teaching" moment. Children of this age will learn much more if they are not forced to do something as a punishment. They can learn that fire has serious consequences and that it is to be treated with care and respect.

Kids of this age will be much more open to learning if they are taught to treat mistakes as an opportunity to learn and grow.

These children were curious, they made a mistake, they have learned from that mistake, and will not repeat it. Those kids will also go on to teach others within their peer group what they have learned.

At this point, it's the adults that are attempting to stunt their educational growth by harshly penalizing them.


Unless of course, one or both of them is a pyromaniac with a history of making unsafe decisions around fire.
User avatar
Sige
Übergod
Posts: 1033
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by Sige »

At the very least, if these were my kids, I would take them to all the neighbors and have them assist in cleaning the red fire retardant off of the patio furniture, cars, etc.

It's a consequence, regardless if there is any other charges.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
User avatar
Fancy
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 59648
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by Fancy »

Won't be charges on youths. Love the ideas on what the youths can do to redeem themselves.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by alanjh595 »

Sige wrote:At the very least, if these were my kids, I would take them to all the neighbors and have them assist in cleaning the red fire retardant off of the patio furniture, cars, etc.

It's a consequence, regardless if there is any other charges.


At 9 and 11 years old, they couldn't reach the hood.
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by alanjh595 »

Fancy wrote:Won't be charges on youths. Love the ideas on what the youths can do to redeem themselves.


House arrest and probation is as about could be the worst. The whole month of August without playing with their friends or going outside is pretty harsh.
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
Sige
Übergod
Posts: 1033
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by Sige »

alanjh595 wrote:
Sige wrote:At the very least, if these were my kids, I would take them to all the neighbors and have them assist in cleaning the red fire retardant off of the patio furniture, cars, etc.

It's a consequence, regardless if there is any other charges.


At 9 and 11 years old, they couldn't reach the hood.


9 and 11 year olds can problem solve; they'd be able to figure it out.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by alanjh595 »

Now you are suggesting poisoning these children by exposing them to harmful chemicals ?

Are flame retardants safe?
While most flame retardants are safe, some flame retardants can be harmful to your health. Canada has already taken action to limit exposure to certain flame retardants that pose health risks, including:

TBPP, which has been banned from use in clothing and children's sleep wear
TCEP, which has been banned from use in products made with polyurethane foam if intended for children
We're currently reviewing other flame retardants to determine if they pose a health risk to Canadians.


https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... dants.html
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
Sige
Übergod
Posts: 1033
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by Sige »

...and this is the problem with today's society... No, I don't suggest that. Give them safety gear, masks, etc. Whatever it takes to keep them safe while atoning for their poor choices.

I'm so tired of the way we treat our children - god forbid we harm their delicate little psyches by making them uncomfortable.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
User avatar
Sige
Übergod
Posts: 1033
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: Yates Road - Grass Fire

Post by Sige »

Farmmaa wrote:
Whyme2 wrote:
When your home is in jeopardy of going up in smoke I’ll be sure to defend whoever tried to burn it down. You have my word!


Settle down. Seriously.
No one tried to burn your house down....and you really, really don't want to start talking to me about experiencing loss. :swear:

The entire fire lasted less than two hours. No homes were lost. No lives were threatened.

Yes, if it had been windy, things could have been a lot worse - but it wasn't, and the fire was put out quickly.

YES, children playing with a lighter is, in fact, accidental.


It definitely lasted more than 2 hours.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road - Grass Fire

Post by alanjh595 »

Sige wrote:It definitely lasted more than 2 hours.


What difference does the time duration make? Were you directly affected?
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
Sige
Übergod
Posts: 1033
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: Yates Road - Grass Fire

Post by Sige »

alanjh595 wrote:
Sige wrote:It definitely lasted more than 2 hours.


What difference does the time duration make? Were you directly affected?


I was simply correcting a false statement - clearly someone thought the duration was important even if they got the timing wrong. From your posts, I'm starting to think it was your kids involved. Methinks thou dost protest too much.....
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road - Grass Fire

Post by alanjh595 »

Sige wrote:
I was simply correcting a false statement - clearly someone thought the duration was important even if they got the timing wrong. From your posts, I'm starting to think it was your kids involved. Methinks thou dost protest too much.....


That is why I made it a question.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Whyme2
Übergod
Posts: 1291
Joined: Dec 13th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Re: Yates Road - Grass Fire

Post by Whyme2 »

What difference does the time duration make? Were you directly affected?[/quote]

I was simply correcting a false statement - clearly someone thought the duration was important even if they got the timing wrong. From your posts, I'm starting to think it was your kids involved. Methinks thou dost protest too much.....[/quote]

Me too. :biggrin:
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18676
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Yates Road Fire Cause

Post by alanjh595 »

My "kids" are 38 & 41 and live in Vancouver.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”