2018 is the worst fire season on record!

User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4023
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: 2018 is the worst fire season on record!

Post by Drip_Torch »

Oh wow, look at Coastal - doubled in a day. So yeah, that was a significant backlog in mapping.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33658
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: 2018 is the worst fire season on record!

Post by Glacier »

Drip_Torch wrote:Oh wow, look at Coastal - doubled in a day. So yeah, that was a significant backlog in mapping.

More area of the coastal fire centre has burned this year than the previous 20 years combined!
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4023
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: 2018 is the worst fire season on record!

Post by Drip_Torch »

… and then there's northwest.

Overall, in BC...

2010
2014
2015
2017
2018

Five of the top ten fire years, in terms of documented hectares burned since 1950.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3815
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 9:31 am

Re: 2018 is the worst fire season on record!

Post by Hassel99 »

I take issue with the fact that the qualifier for "worst fire season" is based on total hectares burned.

I believe a more accurate measurement would be the impact to humans, IE most people evacuate and or most structures lost.


having lived through a lot of the human impact last year and previous years, I don't think this year is so bad from that point of view.
User avatar
tsayta
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3687
Joined: Feb 1st, 2006, 8:25 pm

Re: 2018 is the worst fire season on record!

Post by tsayta »

Hassel99 wrote:I take issue with the fact that the qualifier for "worst fire season" is based on total hectares burned.

I believe a more accurate measurement would be the impact to humans, IE most people evacuate and or most structures lost.


having lived through a lot of the human impact last year and previous years, I don't think this year is so bad from that point of view.

I see what you are saying but many residents in telegraph Creek, the Cariboo, the chilcotin might disagree
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33658
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: 2018 is the worst fire season on record!

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:I see what you are saying but many residents in telegraph Creek, the Cariboo, the chilcotin might disagree


WORSE.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”