US fires Canada's fault?

alanjh595
Banned

US fires Canada's fault?

Post by alanjh595 »

Canada's forestry industry is pushing back against comments by U.S. President Trump that lumber imports are partially to blame for intense forest fires in California.

Trump made the comments at a cabinet meeting Thursday where he also complained about high lumber prices for Canadian wood products.

Forest Products Association of Canada CEO Derek Nighbor says Trump's comments are off-base on a number of levels.

He says it's tariffs imposed by Trump that are driving up lumber prices, while it's a lack of mill capacity that's making imports necessary.

Trump had said the U.S. should extract more lumber from the forest floor to both supply the lumber industry and reduce forest fire threats.

Nighbor says there is a conversation to be had about managing dead wood and fire threats, but that harvesting such wood is complicated and the U.S. wouldn't be able to process enough to make up for shortfalls in any case.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/23 ... da-s-fault
Bring back the LIKE button.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Re: US fires Canada's fault?

Post by Mark1111 »

continuing to embarrass the more intelligent population of the United States...
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Canada's fault? Only the fault of the ones who voted for Trudeau!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Hey Donald... who exactly imposed tariff on Canadian softwood lumber. I know causing you to think may blow a number of brain cells, so here is answer... you jack :cuss: .
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Mark1111 wrote:continuing to embarrass the more intelligent population of the United States...

AND continually degrading the entire Canadian population.

It's not enough that he wants to control China, Russia, Iran, South Korea, North Korea, and Mexico, he now blames Canada for the fires in the USA.

OOooopppsss.....sorry, did't want to turn this into another political thread.

I call :topic: on myself.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

So,,,which is it Trump?

...“It’s not a global warming thing, it’s a management situation,” said Trump. “And one of the elements that he talked about was the fact that we have fallen trees, and instead of removing those fallen trees, which get to be extremely combustible, instead of removing them, gently removing them, beautifully removing them, we leave them to burn.”

...“Just to add, just to conclude, especially when Canada is charging us a lot of money to bring their timber down into our country. So ridiculous, here we have it,” said Trump. “We’re not even talking about cutting down trees… we’re talking about lying on the floor creating a hazard and a tremendous death trap.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4392206/trump-canadian-lumber-imports-california-wildfires/
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Exactly ^^^^^^^ Trump puts tariffs on our lumber entering the USA, blames us for raising the prices to cover those tarifs, and then blames us for the forest fires in California.

In the mean time, all the smoke generated by the US fires is coming here (tax free) and killing our tourism business, which by the way is in large part Americans.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

as usual the title is misleading
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

voice of reason wrote:as usual the title is misleading

How is the title misleading? If you read the OP's attached quote, the first line states:

Canada's forestry industry is pushing back against comments by U.S. President Trump that lumber imports are partially to blame for intense forest fires in California.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/23 ... da-s-fault
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mark1111 wrote:continuing to embarrass the more intelligent population of the United States...

Both of them?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Bsuds wrote:

Both of them?

they moved to Canada
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

People who project the source of all of their misfortunes onto the shoulders of others never solve their problems and are very hard to respect.

Return to “Fire Watch 2018”