40539
40411

iPad purchase

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Moderators: dieseluphammerdown, ferri, Triple 6

iPad purchase

Postby Always Sunny » Mar 17th, 2017, 8:16 pm

I'm an avid PC user and Android phone lover, but I do love my iPad.

Mine is the Air 2 (64g) which has been more than accommodating for my own needs.

But I want to buy my dad one. He's 66 and loves his laptop (I think it's a Toshiba) but loathes smart phones. He's retired, but when he was working he refused to use the smart phone they gave him. Even his personal cell is a Blackberry with full tactile keyboard, and he never texts, goes online, checks email, etc. on it.

However, when I was home for Christmas he really seemed to like using my uncle's iPad. I broached the topic and he seemed to quite like it and managed to figure it out. He's the type that will bring his laptop (and I'm talking a fairly old, very large model) all over, on every flight, to check his email, Facebook, the Globe and Mail, check stocks, and sports scores. I figure an iPad would be such a good tool for him.

I want to buy this for him. But I want to pick the most practical version to suit his needs. I wouldn't go mini, on size alone. I also don't want to go high end for obvious reasons.

Would you ever purchase refurbished? Even Best Buy has options online that seem pretty good.
User avatar
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2045
Likes: 903 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby mexicalidreamer » Mar 17th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Refurbished is not a bad way to go. All that measn is that they have repaired whatever the problem was and ow it's back on track so I wouldn't shy away. They usualyy come with the full warranty.

You don't need the full meal deal (128) and I would think that 64 would be plenty or even 32 if they are still available.

The minis are too small for my taste so go for the air or air 2 for size.

we have many computers for many reasons but we also have a 128 gig air 2 and it is a great machine for portability and functionality.

I have a couple of androids (asus) which are also good but they're not as good.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Always Sunny likes this post.
User avatar
mexicalidreamer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4823
Likes: 1728 posts
Liked in: 2682 posts
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Dizzy1 » Mar 17th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Both my MacBook Pro and iPad Mini were bought refurbished directly from Apple. I absolutely recommend buying refurbished.

http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/browse/home/specialdeals
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Always Sunny likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9298
Likes: 3437 posts
Liked in: 3583 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Dizzy1 » Mar 17th, 2017, 8:46 pm

mexicalidreamer wrote:Refurbished is not a bad way to go. All that measn is that they have repaired whatever the problem was and ow it's back on track so I wouldn't shy away. They usualyy come with the full warranty.

In the case of Apple themselves, they get a complete overhaul - including new batteries, cases, etc.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Always Sunny likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9298
Likes: 3437 posts
Liked in: 3583 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Always Sunny » Mar 17th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Looks like refurbished is a great option.

I bought mine at Simply Computing locally (brand new). I see Best Buy does refurbished as well as Apple themselves. Would there be any benefit to going through one of them, versus a good pre-owned at Simply? I ask mainly because I can see the product here in town, whereas I'm taking my chances online. Best Buy had some seemingly great options. But all were 7/10 rating for aesthetics. There were no actual pictures of the items for sale so it was hard to gauge condition.
User avatar
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2045
Likes: 903 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Dizzy1 » Mar 17th, 2017, 9:09 pm

Always Sunny wrote:Looks like refurbished is a great option.

I bought mine at Simply Computing locally (brand new). I see Best Buy does refurbished as well as Apple themselves. Would there be any benefit to going through one of them, versus a good pre-owned at Simply? I ask mainly because I can see the product here in town, whereas I'm taking my chances online. Best Buy had some seemingly great options. But all were 7/10 rating for aesthetics. There were no actual pictures of the items for sale so it was hard to gauge condition.

I went with Apple directly simply because it comes straight from Apple and they do a complete overhaul and offer a full warranty. With BestBuy you have to be careful as some products are refurbished directly by the manufacturer and others are done in-house and that can cause problems down the road with warranty issues. The only difference between a new iPad and refurbished one from Apple is the packaging - thats it.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Always Sunny likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9298
Likes: 3437 posts
Liked in: 3583 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Always Sunny » Mar 17th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:
Always Sunny wrote:Looks like refurbished is a great option.

I bought mine at Simply Computing locally (brand new). I see Best Buy does refurbished as well as Apple themselves. Would there be any benefit to going through one of them, versus a good pre-owned at Simply? I ask mainly because I can see the product here in town, whereas I'm taking my chances online. Best Buy had some seemingly great options. But all were 7/10 rating for aesthetics. There were no actual pictures of the items for sale so it was hard to gauge condition.

I went with Apple directly simply because it comes straight from Apple and they do a complete overhaul and offer a full warranty. With BestBuy you have to be careful as some products are refurbished directly by the manufacturer and others are done in-house and that can cause problems down the road with warranty issues. The only difference between a new iPad and refurbished one from Apple is the packaging - thats it.

Given that it's my dad, I'd remove the packaging to install some of the apps he'd use and put a case on it, so that's not a deal breaker at all. The reason why I'd lean towards Best Buy at all, is that there's a Best Buy back home, so hopefully it would be a little easier to deal with issues. There's definitely no Apple Store, resellers only.

For example, tonight I can get an iPad Air 32gb refurbished for $339, graded "A" with possibility of some scuffs. To me that would seem like enough for what he needs. With the exception of your basic and most popular apps there's little need for much storage.

I should also mention the "Dad Factor" which means his adult daughter isn't allowed to gift him anything. So refurbished sounds better and better, assuming I can get the ideal option.
User avatar
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2045
Likes: 903 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Old Techie » Mar 17th, 2017, 11:59 pm

I have sourced many items refurbished, or open box, and never had a regret yet.

If the place is reputable, you still get a warranty anyway, and my experience has been that generally when electronics fail they do it early on.

My Tablet was a refurbished unit and has been going strong for five years now, and no sign of death pangs.

2 people like this post.
Old Techie
Fledgling
 
Posts: 183
Likes: 153 posts
Liked in: 176 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Dizzy1 » Mar 18th, 2017, 3:04 am

Always Sunny wrote:Given that it's my dad, I'd remove the packaging to install some of the apps he'd use and put a case on it, so that's not a deal breaker at all. The reason why I'd lean towards Best Buy at all, is that there's a Best Buy back home, so hopefully it would be a little easier to deal with issues. There's definitely no Apple Store, resellers only.

For example, tonight I can get an iPad Air 32gb refurbished for $339, graded "A" with possibility of some scuffs. To me that would seem like enough for what he needs. With the exception of your basic and most popular apps there's little need for much storage.

I should also mention the "Dad Factor" which means his adult daughter isn't allowed to gift him anything. So refurbished sounds better and better, assuming I can get the ideal option.

The one thing you have to watch for with BeatBuy is if the product was refurbished in house or by another company. If it was refurbished by another company then BestBuy can't/won't help you after the purchase - you'll have to contact the company that refurbished the product.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Guru
 
Posts: 9298
Likes: 3437 posts
Liked in: 3583 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Bsuds » Mar 18th, 2017, 5:42 am

mexicalidreamer wrote:Refurbished is not a bad way to go. All that measn is that they have repaired whatever the problem was and ow it's back on track so I wouldn't shy away. They usualyy come with the full warranty.


The ones from BB are not refurbished by Apple and only have a 90 day warranty.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear or an Idiot from any direction!

Always Sunny likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 39683
Likes: 5982 posts
Liked in: 7483 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: iPad purchase

Postby mexicalidreamer » Mar 18th, 2017, 9:11 am

I wouldn't buy a refurbished anything from anybody but the manufacturer or an authorized refurbished reseller who offers the full warranty.

I would think for your dad, as with mine, that 32 gb would be ample for what he does.

I got a great keyboard/hardcover magnetic folding case for mine off Amazon for 30 bucks. It's Bluetooth and the charge lasts for months. Very responsive.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Always Sunny likes this post.
User avatar
mexicalidreamer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4823
Likes: 1728 posts
Liked in: 2682 posts
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Always Sunny » Mar 18th, 2017, 10:39 am

Here's the link to the one I mentioned http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/app ... 84625.aspx?

It does states they're an authorised reseller and there's a one year parts and labour manufacturer warranty. And it does need to be returned to the reseller, not Best Buy if there's an issue.

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2045
Likes: 903 posts
Liked in: 967 posts
Joined: Oct 24th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Bsuds » Mar 18th, 2017, 5:11 pm

With a full 1 year warranty you don't have anything to lose except maybe shipping costs if something were to go wrong.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear or an Idiot from any direction!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 39683
Likes: 5982 posts
Liked in: 7483 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Old Techie » Mar 19th, 2017, 12:28 am

Bsuds wrote:With a full 1 year warranty you don't have anything to lose except maybe shipping costs if something were to go wrong.


Which you'd also have to cover, in most cases, even if you didn't purchase refurbished.

Usually about the only way you'd be able to avoid that, is if the item died in the first couple days of use, and even then there's often no guarantee.

I'd check Newegg.ca too, as they often have some pretty good deals, in fact I look at Newegg, NCIX, and DirectCanada, before I
even consider BestBuy.

Most of the product at NCIX and Direct Canada, is wholesale prices, and even local retailers often can't match them.
Old Techie
Fledgling
 
Posts: 183
Likes: 153 posts
Liked in: 176 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: iPad purchase

Postby Bsuds » Mar 19th, 2017, 6:52 am

More choices there too but I don't see any great reduction in prices.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the rear or an Idiot from any direction!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 39683
Likes: 5982 posts
Liked in: 7483 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am


Return to Computers, Science, Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest