Electric Vehicles

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by Jlabute »

captkirkcanada wrote: Sep 20th, 2022, 8:20 am
Old Sailor wrote: Sep 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm Hey! I saved $25 grand in battery replacement costs...I purchase an ICE vehicle. :biggrin:
That isn't the topic of this thread.
I thought electric vehicles had batteries. Am I wrong?

Anyways, another Tesla fire. Requires 25000 gallons of water to tame the burn, which can be 10x more than a gas vehicle. Sometimes, EVs can catch fire weeks after being extinguished, or while being towed, and they burn hotter and more toxic. This makes them quite dangerous when burning.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/tesl ... extinguish
By denying scientific principles , one may maintain any paradox
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

Jlabute wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 7:30 am
Anyways, another Tesla fire. Requires 25000 gallons of water to tame the burn, which can be 10x more than a gas vehicle. Sometimes, EVs can catch fire weeks after being extinguished, or while being towed, and they burn hotter and more toxic. This makes them quite dangerous when burning.
So much for the updating of the wikipedia article on EV fires that I had used as a reference. Maybe whoever took it upon themselves to add fires stopped bothering and maybe nobody else wanted to. It was also difficult to find a reliable news outlet reporting this fire.
So I was wrong to assert that there have been no new fires for a while. I'm personally not interested in news about fires from a crash. That happens with ICEV's too. It's the ones where the car is stationary minding it's own business that bothers me.
I closely follow reports of Bolt fires. There have been none since last fall.

As for quantity of water, maybe they're doing it wrong. As for toxicity, yeah we're all looking forward to less toxic energy storage solutions for the nearest future. Still a lot of toxicity in all the plastics used in all cars and the burning of liquid fuels.
Still like not buying gas.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Certainly EVs have a different variety of problems as a different technology. Considering how hot lithium burns, fires while charging, discharging, or fires due to battery manufacturing defects in cells, would be a concern to me. I therefore am waiting for better battery technology. No rush.

I saw a dead Tesla today on Bernard across from the Bankhead Store atop the hill. Everyone was standing outside the Tesla while traffic backed up down Bernard during rush hour. Not sure what happened there. Thankfully it's emergency lamps could still flash.
By denying scientific principles , one may maintain any paradox
Old Sailor
Fledgling

Post by Old Sailor »

Old Sailor wrote: Sep 19th, 2022, 5:07 pm Hey! I saved $25 grand in battery replacement costs...I purchase an ICE vehicle. :biggrin:
That isnt the topic of this thread .
I'm sorry I didn't know you were a moderator.
It's so cold I'm almost hoping for a heated argument with my Wife!
hozzle
Übergod

Post by hozzle »

One friend saved 4 hrs traveling from Vancouver to West Kelowna. He was in his ICEV truck, his buddy was in a Tesla. The Tesla dude quick charged in Hope cause there was a line up. My friend kept going. Tesla skipped Merrit to see if he could regenerate downhill near Brenda mines, lol. he didn't quite make it. He texted my friend & my bud offered to tow him to the downhill part, but Tesla bud said it is dead, 0% charge, and it wouldn't restart so no go on regenerating. Tesla guy said he had BCAA and said he would be fine. 3.5 hours later Tesla guy texted my friend & said it took around 2.5 hrs for BCAA to get to him, then just under 1 hr for him to get towed into Kelowna cause his Tesla can only get charged at a Supercharger if at 0%, then drive to West Kelowna... lol.
I love owning ICEV's. :130:
When it feels like I'm rubbing your back, I'm actually painting a target.
Kroynon
Übergod

Post by Kroynon »

hozzle wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 7:38 pm One friend saved 4 hrs traveling from Vancouver to West Kelowna. He was in his ICEV truck, his buddy was in a Tesla. The Tesla dude quick charged in Hope cause there was a line up. My friend kept going. Tesla skipped Merrit to see if he could regenerate downhill near Brenda mines, lol. he didn't quite make it. He texted my friend & my bud offered to tow him to the downhill part, but Tesla bud said it is dead, 0% charge, and it wouldn't restart so no go on regenerating. Tesla guy said he had BCAA and said he would be fine. 3.5 hours later Tesla guy texted my friend & said it took around 2.5 hrs for BCAA to get to him, then just under 1 hr for him to get towed into Kelowna cause his Tesla can only get charged at a Supercharger if at 0%, then drive to West Kelowna... lol.
Do they have electric tow trucks just for Teslas?
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

hozzle wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 7:38 pm One friend saved 4 hrs traveling from Vancouver to West Kelowna. He was in his ICEV truck, his buddy was in a Tesla. The Tesla dude quick charged in Hope cause there was a line up. My friend kept going. Tesla skipped Merrit to see if he could regenerate downhill near Brenda mines, lol. he didn't quite make it. He texted my friend & my bud offered to tow him to the downhill part, but Tesla bud said it is dead, 0% charge, and it wouldn't restart so no go on regenerating. Tesla guy said he had BCAA and said he would be fine. 3.5 hours later Tesla guy texted my friend & said it took around 2.5 hrs for BCAA to get to him, then just under 1 hr for him to get towed into Kelowna cause his Tesla can only get charged at a Supercharger if at 0%, then drive to West Kelowna... lol.
Sounds like a hold my beer and watch this. The Tesla guy did not leave full. Which model was it? I can get from here to like Abbotsford with one stop in Merritt. Tesla guy is just poor planning.
I'm gonna say the best someone can do against my car is an hour. And that hour might cost $15 if that. How much did the ICEV truck buddy pay in gas?
I love owning EV's.
captkirkcanada
Lord of the Board

Post by captkirkcanada »

Old Sailor wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 5:51 pm
That isnt the topic of this thread .
I'm sorry I didn't know you were a moderator.
Im not , i just happen to understand written english , ice cars and ev not the same duh
Hey how are ya ?
captkirkcanada
Lord of the Board

Post by captkirkcanada »

Bs , you can make it from vancouver island to the bc alberta border without a worry . There is enough chargers to make it . Can we stick to reality ?

The final barrier was shattered last week where we proved that you could travel across the widest part of our nation, the widest part of North America, in a matter of a few days in a 100 per cent electric vehicle with no tailpipe emissions and almost for free," he explained.

He said RBC customers with a Petro-Canada card can charge at no cost. And while they paid for their charge ups, it only ended up costing the duo about $400.

How far you going to make it on 400 bux in a ghg spewer ? :biggrin:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/electrifying-jour ... -1.5594227

There you have it folks , to make non ev cars look good one has to make facts up like a fairytale :smt045
Hey how are ya ?
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

captkirkcanada wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 11:03 am
Bs ,
Not so much Bs. I believe it because the Tesla driver is clearly an idiot and left unprepared. He should have made it to Merritt. If not even maybe possibly West Kelowna depending on the specific model. I would never start out on a multi-hour drive without being full or near full or expecting to stop soon. Why did he stop at Hope? Why didn't he get as full as possible before any taper down would start to cost more for the stupid time we pay for. I can get to Hope from here starting out full. The Merritt I mentioned earlier wouldn't be a whole charge either because I know I could get down there on a good bit of charge.
hozzle
Übergod

Post by hozzle »

captkirkcanada wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 11:03 am Bs , you can make it from vancouver island to the bc alberta border without a worry . There is enough chargers to make it . Can we stick to reality ?

The final barrier was shattered last week where we proved that you could travel across the widest part of our nation, the widest part of North America, in a matter of a few days in a 100 per cent electric vehicle with no tailpipe emissions and almost for free," he explained.

He said RBC customers with a Petro-Canada card can charge at no cost. And while they paid for their charge ups, it only ended up costing the duo about $400.

How far you going to make it on 400 bux in a ghg spewer ? :biggrin:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/electrifying-jour ... -1.5594227

There you have it folks , to make non ev cars look good one has to make facts up like a fairytale :smt045
Interesting you say BS... you spit that stuff out plenty & I never stoop to your level.
Old Sailor
Fledgling

Post by Old Sailor »

captkirkcanada wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 11:03 am
hozzle wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 7:38 pm Tesla skipped Merrit to see if he could regenerate downhill near Brenda mines, lol. he didn't quite make it.
Bs , you can make it from vancouver island to the bc alberta border without a worry . There is enough chargers to make it . Can we stick to reality ?
I guess your reading comprehension skills need an update.
It's so cold I'm almost hoping for a heated argument with my Wife!
hozzle
Übergod

Post by hozzle »

The Tesla in the "made up story" some claim was a Model 3.
LovemyBolt
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by LovemyBolt »

hozzle wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 7:22 pm The Tesla in the "made up story" some claim was a Model 3.
Then yes he's an idiot. That range is claimed to be about 430 klicks. Not much more than my Bolt. Google Maps says 393 km's from Point Grey to West Kelowna. Several Tesla Superchargers along the way to get full if he wasn't near full already and then non-stop. If even just a bump up of maybe a 1/2 hour.
Kroynon
Übergod

Post by Kroynon »

LovemyBolt wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 10:51 pm
hozzle wrote: Sep 24th, 2022, 7:22 pm The Tesla in the "made up story" some claim was a Model 3.
Then yes he's an idiot. That range is claimed to be about 430 klicks. Not much more than my Bolt. Google Maps says 393 km's from Point Grey to West Kelowna. Several Tesla Superchargers along the way to get full if he wasn't near full already and then non-stop. If even just a bump up of maybe a 1/2 hour.
He's an idiot because he didn't have a gas powered car.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”