Climate change.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
spooker
Guru

Re: Climate change.

Post by spooker »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 10:11 am
spooker wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 5:32 am

I look around and we look to be ignoring the benefits of our environment in favour of our conveniences
I don't know what this means. Ignoring the benefits of our environment?? What??
The simplest way to put it is the clean air vs the pollution we generate driving around everywhere ...
The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 10:11 am
... but what do those conveniences gain us?
try living a week without those "conveniences". In winter. Good luck with that. Just such foolishness.
We should all learn the difference between a "want" and a "need" ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

spooker wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 2:09 pm

The simplest way to put it is the clean air vs the pollution we generate driving around everywhere ...
what pollution?
Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Glacier wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 11:43 am
spooker wrote: Nov 17th, 2022, 9:20 am Ideal temperatures are more defined by how they don't disrupt the upper airflows which cascades down into more localized weather events ...
The cognitive dissonance is strong with this one. Disrupt upper airflows? Wut?? Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Sure, let's cost in pollution, but OVER COSTING is just as bad as UNDER COSTING. If the people setting the price on carbon are as ignorant about science as you are (I'm looking at you Minister Guilbeault), we are almost certainly over costing, and that's bad we don't want to needlessly drive the middle class into poverty.
:up: :up: :up:

I for one believe MOST global warming since the mid 1800's, is good. The mid-1800's marked the end of a 500 year mini ice age. Does someone prefer a mini ice age? Temperatures would eventually rebound naturally, and Man's greatest achievements have happened during warm periods, some of which much warmer than today. Global populations rely heavily on warmer temperatures for food production, sadly, they won't last forever.
By denying scientific principles , one may maintain any paradox
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 9:52 am ... and Man's greatest achievements have happened during warm periods, some of which much warmer than today. ...
This assertion really makes me curious, what are these greatest achievements and what warmer periods were they contained in? As far as I can discern it hasn't been this hot on the planet for a few million years and recorded history doesn't quite reach back that far ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 12:23 pm
Jlabute wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 9:52 am ... and Man's greatest achievements have happened during warm periods, some of which much warmer than today. ...
This assertion really makes me curious, what are these greatest achievements and what warmer periods were they contained in? As far as I can discern it hasn't been this hot on the planet for a few million years and recorded history doesn't quite reach back that far ...
Hasn’t been thus hot for millions of years? You must be confusing CO2 levels with temperature proxies. The Roman, Minoan, and medieval warm periods were recent and warmer with far less CO2, not to mention 8000 years ago sea levels were 3m to 5m higher in a much warmer period. The last interglacial 100,000 years ago was warmer too, all with relatively low CO2. Early Humans survived the last ice age but had to be very adaptable and mobile. Humans did not thrive until the last ice age ended.

The mini age age ended around 1850, and lasted 500 years. It was a period of unstable cold climate, starvation and disease. The mini ice age didn’t end because of humans.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Nov 20th, 2022, 4:31 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 18th, 2022, 12:23 pm

Hasn’t been thus hot for millions of years? You must be confusing CO2 levels with temperature proxies. The Roman, Minoan, and medieval warm periods were recent and warmer with far less CO2, not to mention 8000 years ago sea levels were 3m to 5m higher in a much warmer period. The last interglacial 100,000 years ago was warmer too, all with relatively low CO2. Early Humans survived the last ice age but had to be very adaptable and mobile. Humans did not thrive until the last ice age ended.

The mini age age ended around 1850, and lasted 500 years. It was a period of unstable cold climate, starvation and disease. The mini ice age didn’t end because of humans.
You have a different source? I typically use Wikipedia ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record

It's funny that the mini ice age ended at the same time the Industrial Age started which was characterized by burning a lot of coal ...
--
― Ernest Hemingway
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Nov 20th, 2022, 5:53 pm
Jlabute wrote: Nov 20th, 2022, 4:31 pm

You have a different source? I typically use Wikipedia ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_temperature_record

It's funny that the mini ice age ended at the same time the Industrial Age started which was characterized by burning a lot of coal ...
Oh the hockey stick. Mr. Mann’s chart is not likely accurate and doesn’t cover much of a time period There is growing evidence that ice core proxies are more accurate, rather than tree rings. Coal has been burned for thousands of years, although gas and oil are a relatively new fuel and did not have wide-spread use in the early 1800s. The holocene climatic optimum was much warmer with less CO2. CO2 correlation is weak for a brief period. It appears coincidental in our modern age.

https://notrickszone.com/2017/08/21/100 ... -c-warmer/

https://ejournals.epublishing.ekt.gr/in ... 1157/11208
DataCruncher
Übergod

Post by DataCruncher »

Re: CARBON CREDITS

click for larger view
vc34523.jpg

vc34524.jpg

---

another

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Once you see the strings of the marionettes - you can never watch the pantomime the same way again"
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Nov 20th, 2022, 8:18 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 20th, 2022, 5:53 pm

Oh the hockey stick. Mr. Mann’s chart is not likely accurate and doesn’t cover much of a time period There is growing evidence that ice core proxies are more accurate, rather than tree rings. Coal has been burned for thousands of years, although gas and oil are a relatively new fuel and did not have wide-spread use in the early 1800s. The holocene climatic optimum was much warmer with less CO2. CO2 correlation is weak for a brief period. It appears coincidental in our modern age.

https://notrickszone.com/2017/08/21/100 ... -c-warmer/

https://ejournals.epublishing.ekt.gr/in ... 1157/11208
Even going with the Holocene Climatic Optimum that goes back further than the Sumerians it doesn't support the assertion that it was warmer when humans achieved their great works ... and yes, the Wikipedia article that I shared previously uses ice cores as the primary source of temperature data

No, I wasn't referring to the hockey stick, just relating your mention of the end of the ice age with what humans were doing at the time ...
--
― Ernest Hemingway
captkirkcanada
Lord of the Board

Post by captkirkcanada »

Ottawa offers a subsidy for heat pumps now

https://globalnews.ca/news/9294541/otta ... eat-pumps/
Last edited by captkirkcanada on Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Justin keeps winning , the worldz bad guys keeps losing
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

captkirkcanada wrote: Nov 22nd, 2022, 11:14 am Ottawa offers a subsidy for heat pumps now

https://globalnews.ca/news/9294541/otta ... eat-pumps/
Pretty stupid.

Justin Trudeau summed up by Stephen LeDrew:

Cockwomble: a person prone to making outrageously stupid statements and/or inappropriate behaviour while generally having a very high opinion of his own wisdom and importance.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Population expansion is the root of earth’s problems. And Canada now wants to add 1.5m immigrants by 2025.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

nepal wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 6:13 pm .
Population expansion is the root of earth’s problems. And Canada now wants to add 1.5m immigrants by 2025.
The fact that we require energy for 8B people now is a problem ... but not really an issue "where" they are
--
― Ernest Hemingway
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 7:23 pm
nepal wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 6:13 pm .
The fact that we require energy for 8B people now is a problem ... but not really an issue "where" they are
Thankfully such philosophy is self-fixing and there is no need for you to have children ;-) Darwin doesn't mind since there aren't too many who think this.

Standing on the shoulders of people like Paul Ehrlich, or Thomas Malthus, etc, only make people who worry about population twice as wrong. 8B is not a lot, and the rise is temporary. You better find a way to have children. We need more people, more brain power, and better education rather than leftists developing new purple hair dyes.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 9:41 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 23rd, 2022, 7:23 pm

Thankfully such philosophy is self-fixing and there is no need for you to have children ;-) Darwin doesn't mind since there aren't too many who think this.

Standing on the shoulders of people like Paul Ehrlich, or Thomas Malthus, etc, only make people who worry about population twice as wrong. 8B is not a lot, and the rise is temporary. You better find a way to have children. We need more people, more brain power, and better education rather than leftists developing new purple hair dyes.
Usually a reply is meant for the post it is replying to ... though I've already had kids and while I am still physically able to sire offspring my wife is unable to work with me on that project ... we do need to fix the food insecurity issues as we continue to grow
--
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”