Backup solutions...

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Exactly. Not that the payed for is any better sometimes. I've bought a few winners. If it's on Shellcity.net though it would not have made it there if it was questionable. Pretty much a developers site where they give away there utilities.
___

Post by ___ »

K....I see the site, will spend some time looking thru it....
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

It has a odd search system. make sure Case Sensitive? is turned off and there simple one word about searches.
prestigecomputers
Fledgling

Post by prestigecomputers »

You can't be in two places at the same time, but the information stored on your computer can be... and should be.

That's a good thing to remember when you are thinking about backups. If you store your files on a USB stick, make sure they are backed up too. USB sticks, CD's and DVD's, and external hard drives are all prone to failure and total loss of the data.

Using a "GoBackup" type of solution is fine for recovering deleted files, but what about if your hard drive crashes or your computer is stolen?

When considering backup solutions you need to consider:

How much data needs to get backed up?
This will determine what you are backing up to. A few documents can be copied to a USB flash drive, but gigabytes of music or movie files would be best be copied to an external hard drive.

How important is the data?
Critical documents for business, financial data, etc should be backed up and stored off-site or stored in a fire proof safe.

How often does it change?
If you use your computer mostly for e-mail and the internet and only have a few documents of interest, you could get away with a backup every week or even monthly. But if you work on many important documents that you don't want to lose or re-enter, then you will want a more regular solution that backs up daily or several times a day.

How much history do you need to keep?
For financial data or important documents you may want the ability to go back to an older version of the file - from last week or last year. Whereas with music files, you only really care about keeping a single copy of the file.

How do you want to restore the system?
Some backup solutions will restore everything (windows, applications and data files) to the point in time of the backup. Other solutions require you to re-install Windows, then install all of the necessary software, and then restore your data files. Do you have all of the necessary CD's and/or software activation codes stored somewhere safe?

Where is your backup stored?
If your computer is stolen and your only backup is sitting in the DVD drive or plugged into the USB slot then you've still lost everything - even if you backed it up every hour on the hour. To prevent this you can:
- keep a copy of the data in a fire-proof safe or off-site at your home or office
- use an offline backup solution to backup your files remotely
Sites like http://www.datadepositbox.ca allow you to select folders to backup. Your files are encrypyted and stored off-site automatically whenever your computer is idle.

Often a combination of methods is preferred depending on the type of data being backed up.

Regardless which method you use, just make sure you do it.

And if you didn't do a backup and your hard drive crashes, give me a call and I'll restore the files the hard way.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

I think we eliminated goback already. I still like my method. Plug in NTFS hard drive copy paste. Unplug put it away. Nothing mission critical here. It's not the best but it works. Anything can die even CD's and DVD's.

What is the chance of a new hard drive dying if you almost never use it? Not that high.
___

Post by ___ »

:123: ...thank goodness for BU's!!

I uninstalled a number of programs cleaning up my HD, and now my QuickBooks would not run as it was missing a dll. I surmised it may have been deleted by one of these programs from the System32 folder. I found the dll in the image of my backup from 6 months ago and restored it. The program started up right away.

\:D/

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”