Netflix

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: netflix

Post by Queen K »

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/techn ... -6C9690352

Been meaning to watch something on netflix? It may disappear in favour of new titles, but not as many titles.

This is for the Americans, but I wager Canadians will see the same changes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

underscore wrote:Howso? I hate the Netflix interface, it would nice if there was a "browse by" option, instead of just seeing their lists or searching.

Pretty much everything but what you just mentioned. More browsing options, maybe by genre even if it scrolls through 1,000 titles, would be nice.

I meant the interface is far superior to any other device I've used for playing movies or tv shows. The movie descriptions, ratings, actors, covers, etc... are all there. It makes suggestions based on movies you've watched, groups shows logically, etc... The movement is quick and responsive, shows start immediately, skipping forward or back in a movie is instant and responsive. When a TV episode ends it automatically starts the next one, untila certain amount of time has passed then it prompts you to confirm you're still watching, so it won't waste your bandwidth if you fell asleep. It tracks which episodes you've watched and remembers at what point you shut off a movie or episode, and the option to resume is the first thing you see next time you turn it on. Even the smaller points are better, like when you're doing some marathon tv series watching it starts right at the start of the next episode, post-intro and them song. But if you come back the next day and start the next episode it starts at the very start of it, so you can watch the whole 'previously on' should you need it. There are many more little things like that which signify quality and attention to detail. Compared to that a wdtv, roku, media center, shaw on demand etc... feels clunky and clearly inferior.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I've been meaning to add that parents need to look over and maybe view the anime section for their kids, before letting the kids watch it.

There is a lot more to anime that big eyes and an innocent look. I was shocked by what I saw in some of them. Don't be fooled by what Sailor Moon was a few years back, a lot of anime is for adults. What's worse is that they are not rated in any way shape and form, so according to Netflix, it's all the same.

NOT True!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Scadam wrote:<snip>

True enough, although Netflix got hellbent on having me watch some for of Power Rangers the other day. It would be nice if they added a bit more input from the user, like blocking certain shows, or changing that intro skip feature. While for 99% of shows skipping the intro is nice, on Top Gear it can be quite humorous and it's unique to each episode, so I'd appreciate not having to skip backwards are the start of every episode to be able to see it.

Queen K wrote:I've been meaning to add that parents need to look over and maybe view the anime section for their kids, before letting the kids watch it.

There is a lot more to anime that big eyes and an innocent look. I was shocked by what I saw in some of them. Don't be fooled by what Sailor Moon was a few years back, a lot of anime is for adults. What's worse is that they are not rated in any way shape and form, so according to Netflix, it's all the same.

NOT True!

Err, well yeah, most Anime is for adults. I'm not sure about your devices, but on my PS3 there's a "kids Netflix" option right when it starts up, that only has kids shows. Like anything else though, it would be nice is Netflix was easier to share within your family, I don't think there's any way to password protect or content restrict in Netflix, which is stupid since my piddly cable box can do that.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

underscore wrote:True enough, although Netflix got hellbent on having me watch some for of Power Rangers the other day. It would be nice if they added a bit more input from the user, like blocking certain shows, or changing that intro skip feature. While for 99% of shows skipping the intro is nice, on Top Gear it can be quite humorous and it's unique to each episode, so I'd appreciate not having to skip backwards are the start of every episode to be able to see it.

I think I misspoke, it might only be the "previously on..." that they've set a marker on to skip if you're coming straight from the prior episode. I do seem to remember other shows playing their intro each episode, so I might ahve been confused by 24 which I think only shows the blurb about what hour it is.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Scadam wrote:I think I misspoke, it might only be the "previously on..." that they've set a marker on to skip if you're coming straight from the prior episode. I do seem to remember other shows playing their intro each episode, so I might ahve been confused by 24 which I think only shows the blurb about what hour it is.

No they seem to skip the intro on most stuff, oddly some shows I see the intro from time to time (I think if I haven't seen it in a few days or something?) some shows always show it and other shows always hide it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Underscore, well, when anime is marketed to kids as Sailer Moon, then how was I to know that?

But my real beef is for adults like me who DON'T know their kids using netflix in Canada could be subjected to some very adult stuff? Netflix should be rating their anime or having a warning on it. It's not like all anime is created equal.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

I've never seen anime marketed anywhere really, I'm assuming you're referring to the stuff that's made it to mainstream TV in North America that makes them out to be "just cartoons"? So far as I can tell Netflix has no way to block or restrict any content, anime or otherwise, so by allowing kids to use Netflix unsupervised you're leaving them open to anything (horror movies, movies with high sexual content, raunchy stand up comedy, etc). The cover art, title and description usually make it pretty obvious what a show is about, but when in doubt, or if it's unrated Google it. Imdb.com (internet media database) is a great tool for checking on content in movies and shows.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Netflix

Post by Queen K »

Another score for Netflix!

We just started a new to us series titled Once Upon a Time.

It's highly original.
Got gorgeous graphics and special effects.
Good vs Evil.
And not entirely predictable.

Story book fairy tale characters are caught up in the evil Queen's magic in modern Maine.

As they say, "we're hooked."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We watched that last year and it got old pretty fast.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Watched the first few episodes of "Derek" Ricky Gervais,what a funny,sad,disturbing,poignant,heart warming show it is.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What is it about Orange is the New Black that men love?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Still enjoying Once Upon a Time. The characters are being developed by now and I love the twists on the fairytales and how it's all being brought together.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Post by 1nick »

Queen K wrote:What is it about Orange is the New Black that men love?

I haven't watched it.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Queen K wrote:What is it about Orange is the New Black that men love?

I heard a rumour that Laura Prepon (Donna from That 70's Show) shows off some boobage.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”