Anyone use TekSavvy ISP? Alternatives to Shaw/Telus

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
One to talk

Anyone use TekSavvy ISP? Alternatives to Shaw/Telus

Post by One to talk »

Hello, we just moved here from burnaby and are looking for ISP alternatives to Shaw or Telus.

TekSavvy and Lightspeed have a presence in kelowna, and they both service my postal code. Their DSL 25 plans are half the price what Shaw/Telus are offering. Does anyone have experience/feedback from using them? I understand they rely on Telus' network for delivery, so network reliability is a concern. thanks
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Anyone use TekSavvy ISP? Alternatives to Shaw/Telus

Post by Even Steven »

search.php?keywords=+TekSavvy

It's been discussed many times.
One to talk

Post by One to talk »

yes, you're right. looks like it has! thanks for the search reminder, i should have tried that first
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

All I can say is that I love TekSavvy (been with them for a number of years now) and the only issue I've had is the occasional outage - it was always on Telus' end/lines (none this year thus far) - and their support has been top-notch. I gravitated towards them due to their business ethos, and have stayed because of the price + service.
Your bias suits you.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

TekSavvy is awesome! Prices and speed stay the same. Great tech support too. I wish they offered a waived monthly dry loop charge in BC for TekTalk Unlimited then I'd dump Telus altogether. I do think TekSavvy's "12 Days of Giveaways" is complete BS! :smt045
damager

Post by damager »

this topic interests me, thinking of switching out of Shaw. Called TekSavvy and they advised that they can perform an "active" switch (no tech visit required). Yelp reviews are mixed, most complaints centered around installation/switch over delays
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

The only thing to remember with services like Teksavvy is that they are not an ISP. They are a lease provider.

There's nothing wrong with this. It's NOT a bad thing, it ends up in you having cheaper internet! Yay!

Though, when something goes wrong, it's not up to them to fix it 95% of the time. DSL side, it's up to Telus. Cable side, it's up to Shaw.

Teksavvy does not have "on the ground" service technicians. They service from the side of your house, in.

Because of this if there's an outage, you are still relying on the work of the large players to get lines back up.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

I have been using https://can-com.com/ for internet and phone. If you can subscribe to shaw you can get can-com.

Their prices are half the price of shaw, if you are on a 2 year subscription, otherwise add $20 to the price.

Basic $25
Up to 5 Mbps Download Speed
Up to 512 kbps Upload Speed
Unlimited Data *

Basic plus $35
Up to 15 Mbps Download Speed
Up to 512 kbps Upload Speed
Unlimited Data *

Family $43
Up to 30 Mbps Download Speed
Up to 5 Mbps Upload Speed
Unlimited Data