Fast Cats

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Fast Cats

Post by Symbonite »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Around-The ... stest-ship

Funny we had them like 20-25 years ago and we didnt like them yet 80+% said from this video that this is amazing...

I was on one of them when they were in service. man that was a nice ship...and FAST!!
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Fast Cats

Post by Bsuds »

Wasn't their biggest issue that they created a very large wake which was causing damage to the shoreline?

After all we wouldn't want waves on the Ocean.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Appears there were multiple issues with them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Ferr ... reciations
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Too bad the the video only gives you a limited view of the very fast ship's wake.

What I sense is that the ship doesn't leave very much of a bow wave perhaps because of the catamaran design which displaces the ships weight over two hulls, leaving 2 smaller bow waves instead of one big one. But the torrent of exhausted water from the water jets is pretty violent. I don't know what kind of waves that would leave behind, but my experience with hydrofoils would suggest not big waves. I know this ship has a displacement hull and it's not planing, but I've been on fairly large hydro foils travelling 65 KPH leaving a good sized rooster tail from behind but hardly any waves with the hull lifted right out of the water on the foils. We passed small fishing boats within 100 feet with minor effect on them.

The BC fastcats were also catamaran designs, but (simply) from pictures it appears the hull rode deeper in the water. The few videos I've found of fastcats do indeed appear to show massive wakes at high speed.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Someone made a deal to have Taxpayers build them some ships for pennies. Follow the money.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”