Computer Repair.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Computer Repair.

Post by Loed »

I prefer home storage for everything, but for the very important items I keep offsite backups as well. With the cost of it all these days there is really no reason not to.

Home storage is nice if(when) the ISP decides to crap out and I'm stuck with the back up line for general connectivity.

For security though nothing beats having copies in 2-3 places.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Loed wrote:For security though nothing beats having copies in 2-3 places.

3-2-1 Backup Policy:
3 total backups : 2 local on different medium/devices, and 1 offsite.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Can anyone recommend a good canadian based backup solution/data centre?
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

monroe wrote:Can anyone recommend a good canadian based backup solution/data centre?

Why Canadian?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

forum wrote:
monroe wrote:Can anyone recommend a good canadian based backup solution/data centre?

Why Canadian?

US Patriot Act. - It gives the US government legal access to ALL data stored on US soil. Without warrant, permissions, notification, or even suspicion of wrongdoing.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

US companies like Google don't just hand over a person's personal files because the Government demands.

If Google did that they'd lose a billion clients over night.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

forum wrote:US companies like Google don't just hand over a person's personal files because the Government demands.

If Google did that they'd lose a billion clients over night.

No, That's EXACTLY how it is. It's law and if the company wants to operate in the US it must abide by US law or face the legal/justice system. They don't have a choice in the matter.

Research The Patriot Act (US). Then research "Bill 73" (Canada). Bill 73 is a direct response from the Canadian government to the patriot act. It basically says "Because of the Patriot Act, no Canadian citizen's data is to be stored on US soil".

Microsoft recently built a Canadian datacenter and a 2nd disaster recovery/backup center in Canada because of this - they weren't able to talk any Canadian customers into using their US datacenters for cloud services. In the US, many companies are moving to out of state datacenters. It's a huge thing. Nobody wants to store their data in the US because of it.

The US government and it's empowered agencies and employees have legal access to all data stored on in the US via the Patriot Act. No warrant, etc required all they need to do is wave the terrorism flag and invoke the act. Don't believe me that's fine, do some google searching then - what I'm telling you is OLD news you'll find tones of info if you don't want to believe me.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”