Unlocked Phones

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Unlocked Phones

Post by gardengirl »

I need to upgrade my phones. I am with Telus and they are not offering anything all that great. I am wondering if anyone here has ever bought an unlocked phone. There are some at Best Buy.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Re: Unlocked Phones

Post by whitecandle »

Girlfriend bought one and went to the Superstore mobility shop. After going over all the plans available got the plan that suited her.

If you go that route, talk to Sarah - she's awesome and will hook you up with the best plan for what you want.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

whitecandle wrote:Girlfriend bought one and went to the Superstore mobility shop. After going over all the plans available got the plan that suited her.

If you go that route, talk to Sarah - she's awesome and will hook you up with the best plan for what you want.

Are they a telus provider?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Telus, Koodo, Rogers, Bell, Fido, Virgin, and PC Mobile.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I believe that after December, providers have to unlock phones for free, or provide them unlocked. I was told this by Bell. So if you can wait a few months, this may be a moot point.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

^^^True. Phone providers raked in millions for unlocking phones.

As of Dec. 1, cellphone customers can ask their provider to unlock their phones free of charge, the CRTC announced Thursday. At the same time, it said, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.
In March, the CRTC reported that Canadian telecoms made a total of $37.7 million last year by charging customers to unlock their cellphones — a 75 per cent jump in that source of revenue compared with 2014.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-wi ... -1.4161711
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote:I believe that after December, providers have to unlock phones for free, or provide them unlocked. I was told this by Bell. So if you can wait a few months, this may be a moot point.

Telus rep told us that recently as well.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I buy them on eBay. Usually works great.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Daughter unit bought an unlocked phone. She's run on some hard times recently and was able to strip her plan down to $35/mo. She had extra bargaining power because the provider knows she's got an unlocked phone an can move over to whomever will give her the best deal. This is something that cannot be done with a contract phone, nope, you're roped in to $95/mo (premium phone, $75/mo for non-premium), which is fine if you know you will consistently be in a position to pay that much for 48 months.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

kgcayenne wrote:Daughter unit bought an unlocked phone. She's run on some hard times recently and was able to strip her plan down to $35/mo. She had extra bargaining power because the provider knows she's got an unlocked phone an can move over to whomever will give her the best deal. This is something that cannot be done with a contract phone, nope, you're roped in to $95/mo (premium phone, $75/mo for non-premium), which is fine if you know you will consistently be in a position to pay that much for 48 months.

Depends on when you got your phone and plan. My plan costs $55/month with a top notch plan with a premium phone and free upgrades every 2 years with no increase in the monthly plan.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”