Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by Glacier »

captkirkcanada wrote: Aug 8th, 2022, 4:47 am Water for drinking dries up in france amid drought

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... ic-drought
There's actually no link between climate change and precipitation or more extreme storms. Even the IPCC admits this.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CBS called out for lying and spreading more myths about the man-made climate change fraud.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Paul Gregory began taking daily weather observations in the Annapolis Valley in the 1980s.

Winter weather followed a relatively predictable pattern, he says. A nor'easter would roll in every 10 days or so, dumping 25 centimetres of snow and contributing to a blanket of snow that lasted all winter.

But Gregory, who worked as a forecaster at CFB Greenwood, began noticing a shift in the 1990s.

I could see the changes," he says. The cold and snowy winters began to drift away and a warmer, rainier season emerged.

Analysis of average temperatures confirms what Gregory observed. Nova Scotia's winters are getting warmer, particularly in the last several decades.

It's a trend that is expected to continue, with a recent provincial climate risk report noting that the province could see just two weeks' worth of days of snow annually by 2100.

decline in that insulating snow cover also affects the roots of northern species, which tend to be in the top 30 centimetres of soil and can be damaged by the freeze-thaw cycle

Until relatively recently, researchers thought an ice-free winter was unlikely. But in 2010, DFO scientist Peter Galbraith conducted ice surveys by helicopter and found no ice at all.

"Before 2010, we thought models were predicting that it was going to take a long time before we see no sea ice, and so when it happened, it sort of took us by surprise.

That is real data backed by real researchers :130:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 26th, 2022, 6:08 pm
That is real data backed by real researchers :130:
No, it's not.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 26th, 2022, 6:08 pm
It's a trend that is expected to continue, with a recent provincial climate risk report noting that the province could see just two weeks' worth of days of snow annually by 2100.
This is nothing more than garbage speculation to promote a criminal agenda to gullible losers.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

There are ridiculous claims about extreme weather in the UK. Oh my gosh, when will this extreme weather end? (me being sarcastic). Looking at the MET office charts, one would not notice anything out of the ordinary. Unless this is in the category of micro-weather aggression (no that is not a real thing).

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpre ... nal-trust/

It can't be rainfall or temperature.
Capture.PNG
capture2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I'm not saying hit the push bars on the exit, or Alaska is looking nice, but...

Interesting week weather and climate driver wise. If you know, you know. If you don't, frankly I don't care - that's where we're at. SSTA's, 2 meter temps, El Nino signals - all interesting and if you know - it's really worth taking a look at right now.

:130:

(I'm thinking this too shall pass, but Alaska is looking good though.)
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 12:33 am I'm not saying hit the push bars on the exit, or Alaska is looking nice, but...

Interesting week weather and climate driver wise. If you know, you know. If you don't, frankly I don't care - that's where we're at. SSTA's, 2 meter temps, El Nino signals - all interesting and if you know - it's really worth taking a look at right now.

You must be referencing the hype about the fires? Thankfully the long-term trend is downward and does not correlate to CO2 so I would assume no one knows, except for maybe a few arsonists. Unless you know otherwise, please share with us how climate is driving what you think you see.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/06/09 ... -of-fires/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Jlabute wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 10:50 am
Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 12:33 am I'm not saying hit the push bars on the exit, or Alaska is looking nice, but...

You must be referencing the hype about the fires? Thankfully the long-term trend is downward and does not correlate to CO2 so I would assume no one knows, except for maybe a few arsonists. Unless you know otherwise, please share with us how climate is driving what you think you see.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/06/09 ... -of-fires/
No, I'm not referencing fires at all. I'm talking about climate change indicators and all the pretty nifty tricks the charts have been doing over the last two weeks. I know it's a discussion board and I should be prepared to discuss, but I used it more as a heads up. Aimed at people that are interested in putting their heads up. I guess what I'm attempting to convey is we live in interesting times and folks that are interested should take look at what's going on right now.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As more forests worldwide burn down 2 things automatically happen.

1) the planet loses one of biggest consumption of co2 our planet has.
2) burning trees release their contained co2 back into atmosphere.

So it’s absolutely no wonder why co2 has been increasing so much lately.

Oh yes, this planet has also been losing basic common sense.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I guess we can't avoid the fires, so sure there is this...

...or, another interesting way of looking at it (with the caveat that it's newer and not yet a well proven way to make a comparison over time and space) is through the cumulative FRP observed in Canada this year. (FRP = Fire Radiative Power) I should probably add another caveat, the FRP data is Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer measurements (MODIS) and both Aqua and Terra are approaching the end of their life cycle. (There are other FRP capable imaging sat's up in orbit, such as Sentinel and the VIIRS cluster and I'm not aware of anyone attempting to do a comparison of the datasets.) But, all in all it's interesting to see how the MODIS FRP data lines up with and reinforces the area burned chart data.

The alert I was trying to convey though is more to do with Climate related drivers. ENSO, SSTA's that type of thing. It's all going off the charts and if you're into that type of thing, it's worth taking a look today. The last couple months, especially the last couple weeks have been "interesting". That's why I'm saying, hey - if you have an interest it's worth a look these days.

The ENSO appears to be doing an uncharacteristic flip, but even more interesting is some of the warming being observed that will complicate the ENSO + (El Nino) event taking place.

(Oh hey, and if you're a casual reader thinking about coming back at me with CO2 myth and dinosaur charts, please don't waste your time. I'm not in your audience set and this post isn't aimed at you.)
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 3:10 pm I guess we can't avoid the fires, so sure there is this...

...or, another interesting way of looking at it (with the caveat that it's newer and not yet a well proven way to make a comparison over time and space) is through the cumulative FRP observed in Canada this year. (FRP = Fire Radiative Power) I should probably add another caveat, the FRP data is Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer measurements (MODIS) and both Aqua and Terra are approaching the end of their life cycle. (There are other FRP capable imaging sat's up in orbit, such as Sentinel and the VIIRS cluster and I'm not aware of anyone attempting to do a comparison of the datasets.) But, all in all it's interesting to see how the MODIS FRP data lines up with and reinforces the area burned chart data.

The alert I was trying to convey though is more to do with Climate related drivers. ENSO, SSTA's that type of thing. It's all going off the charts and if you're into that type of thing, it's worth taking a look today. The last couple months, especially the last couple weeks have been "interesting". That's why I'm saying, hey - if you have an interest it's worth a look these days.

The ENSO appears to be doing an uncharacteristic flip, but even more interesting is some of the warming being observed that will complicate the ENSO + (El Nino) event taking place.

(Oh hey, and if you're a casual reader thinking about coming back at me with CO2 myth and dinosaur charts, please don't waste your time. I'm not in your audience set and this post isn't aimed at you.)
There are 'climate related' drivers, perhaps the least of which is CO2. Oceans are mostly warmed by sunlight and maybe to some degree underwater seismic activity, modulated by cloud cover, not CO2 in the atmosphere. Despite anything minimally 'going off the chart' by the standards of the last very short few decades, the global average temperature anomaly for May 2023 is still only 0.37C, so certainly the effects of El Nino show.

"Uncharacteristic" ENSO activity really doesn't mean anything or correlate to anything caused by man. Sounding an "ALERT" is really no more meaningful than what 'experts' have been doing for the last 100 years. Don't actually know what an alert could even mean considering all the poor predictions.

Canadian or Global forest fire area burned does not correlate to CO2.

Canada
Canadianab.jpg

Global
globalab.png

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aal4108
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Jlabute wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 6:22 pm the global average temperature anomaly for May 2023 is still only 0.37C
It's June 11th and the latest processed data is June 9th. As of June 9 that number is 0.90°C While that's not a monthly average and it is a daily observation, it's one in a trend that's been consistent throughout June. As much as the Northern Hemisphere seems to have experienced an extreme and early spring, the Southern Hemisphere seems to be experiencing an extreme and late fall.

As I've said, I think quite clearly, I was simply attempting to alert people that might be interested to the fact there are some interesting things going on in the observations. I take it by your continued attempts to draw me into a conversation about fires and CO2 you're not interested.

That's fine - and I'm sure you know the meme I'm tempted to place here.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 8:55 pm
Jlabute wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 6:22 pm the global average temperature anomaly for May 2023 is still only 0.37C
It's June 11th and the latest processed data is June 9th. As of June 9 that number is 0.90°C While that's not a monthly average and it is a daily observation, it's one in a trend that's been consistent throughout June. As much as the Northern Hemisphere seems to have experienced an extreme and early spring, the Southern Hemisphere seems to be experiencing an extreme and late fall.

As I've said, I think quite clearly, I was simply attempting to alert people that might be interested to the fact there are some interesting things going on in the observations. I take it by your continued attempts to draw me into a conversation about fires and CO2 you're not interested.

That's fine - and I'm sure you know the meme I'm tempted to place here.
Antarctica is not a problem. Even 8000 years back Antarctica had much less ice with much less CO2. Today volcanism plays a part, the maximum extent is good, and the ice shelves are growing. Certainly calving events are natural, but antarctica is healthy.

I'd like to alert people that the antarctica ice shelves have gained 661Gt of ice from 2009 to 2019. 10 months ago the claim was they were melting faster than expected. Claims seem to come from the ether, or rather from computer models.

https://tc.copernicus.org/articles/17/2059/2023/
Overall, the Antarctic ice shelf area has grown by 5305 km2 since 2009, with 18 ice shelves retreating and 16 larger shelves growing in area. Our observations show that Antarctic ice shelves gained 661 Gt of ice mass over the past decade, whereas the steady-state approach would estimate substantial ice loss over the same period, demonstrating the importance of using time-variable calving flux observations to measure change.

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/06/02/don ... years-ago/
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Jlabute wrote: Jun 11th, 2023, 11:40 pm Antarctica is not a problem.
You have no idea how much better I would have slept last night if you had posted that earlier. *wink*

So, seriously - wasn't suggesting it was a problem. Again, interesting isn't a call to hit the panic bars on the emergency door - it's simply a call to those that might be interested. Since you've brought up Antarctica's shelf growing, I'll comment a bit. There's some uncertainty around the "growth", with the very distinct possibility it's merely a reflection of better imaging sensor processing. If there was any "growth" the common consensus appears to be that ended in 2020. In terms of the overall picture, Antarctica is losing lots of ice. It's a continent and sea ice, or even ice shelves, are only part of the picture.

When looking at sea ice extent, keep in mind Glaciers and the overall ice shelf on the continent are wasting as well.

If I may I'd like to go back to what I find interesting.

El Nino. Since early this spring I've heard on social media, "like duh, it's El Nino, learn how to read the weather dummy". Fair enough, we certainly do expect hotter and drier anomalies here during an El Nino, but two things I find interesting. The "uncharacteristic flip" to an El Nino state, which by the way was only declared as "here" on June 8th, and the fact that California, Oregon and the south still seem to be experiencing conditions more typical of a La Nina climate pattern.

The North Atlantic SSTA. That's an impressive spike. It appears to have peaked on Saturday and all expectations are it should start trending down from there. Smoke pale alone should have some impact. Still an impressive spike and the teleconnections are understood to influence climate patterns, but the extend is almost completely unexplored and not well understood.

So, all in all, I've tried to explain as best I can what I find "interesting" about the current climate state and observations. I'm not in the "OK Doomer" camp - I think I would describe myself as dispassionately interested in climate change, because it does influence fire weather. I just simply tried to point out to others that this has been an interesting month in the observations and the last two weeks in particular have been worth taking a look at - if one has an interest.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”