Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by Jlabute »

So forecasted weather is now called a climate change event? hahahahahaha. You can only pay for stupid sheet like this. No one does dumb things for free except the left. Completely anti-science. As if someone could predict a weather event that attributes to climate, over a 30+ year period. I'd like to see anyone model BC climate trends and predict a weather event 30 years from now for a specific day in BC.

It seems to me that when such claims are seen, the authors should be pressed for evidence. Weather attribution isn't anything but a veneer covering a lie. It is called Rapid Attribution Studies in the UK. Anything that can blind a justice system and open doors to litigation.

From the laboratory of making sheet up. Certain climate data expert/whistleblower, previously fired from ExxonMobile:
Gulden wrote: The most problematic component of climate change isn’t that the mean temperature goes up. It’s that there is much more variability and much less predictability. More extreme events (extreme freezes, extreme precipitation, extreme heat). Uncertainty is bad for markets. So if you care about healthy free markets, dismissing climate change out of hand is risky.

Lindsey Gulden, the self-described Data/Climate Scientist. She would/could not provide a time series example to back up any part of her claim of ‘global climate to go off the rails’ … ‘more extreme events’. I asked her repeatedly for data, and she could only sign-off with ‘I made no such claim‘.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/05/02/ ... er-events/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Living with Climate Change

It’s really easy to think that the whole world is like home. I live in Central Florida, so warming seems like a threat. In the summer, it’s hot enough to threaten my ability to play golf, and it’s “hydrate or die.” Any warmer and I won’t be able to swear and beat the ground with sticks. Then this week I visited New Lanark, Scotland.

The woolen mill of this World Heritage Site is extremely proud of the fact that all its electricity comes from renewable sources that supposedly have small carbon footprints. It’s quite easy for them, since they are situated on a steep section of the River Clyde, allowing for ready development of hydro power. And Scotland is quite windy, with proliferating wind farms supply forty percent of all electricity in the country.

When I left the mill for my tour bus, I made certain that I was wearing a windproof three-layer outfit and a warm cap, since the temperature in late April was projected to reach a sultry high of fifty degrees. The wind chill wasn’t reported, but gloves were necessary if I was to be outdoors for long. The mill tour guide seemed to be caught flat-footed when I asked her if all this emphasis on “green” energy was designed to keep Scotland cold. Her startled laugh spoke volumes.

Most of the Karens of Klimate Katastrophe completely neglect the northern (or far southern) climes in their nattering. While various tropical and subtropical areas might have concerns with warmer temperatures, much of the civilized world is actually located in areas where an increase in average temperature might not have such awful effects as are routinely advertised. Florida’s upper crust, who can afford coastal vacation homes made possible by federal flood insurance, might find their property falling into the sea. Ditto for the California coastal elites. The rest of us won’t see much more than dramatic pictures at 6:30 and 11:00.

People in the upper Midwest will be thrilled as winter blizzards diminish. They may have a shorter ice fishing season, but will exchange that for longer growing seasons with fewer parka days. For those who don’t wish to board a giant aluminum cloud for the trip across the pond to experience this, an alternative is readily available. Just get on a floating hotel and cruise the Inside Passage to Alaska. It’s a beautiful trip, and Juneau is the same degree of northern latitude as the Isle of Mull, where I am currently writing. Yesterday the snow level on Ben More was below three thousand feet.
https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... hange.html
“It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or brown or white or whatever the hell color you are — it doesn’t matter. We are all Americans, and we are going to pull together as Americans!” - Donald J. Trump, soon to be president-elect 2024.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

We typically see arctic sea ice extent charts starting in 1979, since that is when satellite records began. Measurements actually go back further than this. In 1979 arctic sea ice rose to an exceptional peak from a much lower level than it is today. Today, the level of arctic sea ice is growing.

Strange enough, this used to be published in the first ipcc report. Not showing trends before 1979 is deceptive.

Screenshot.png

https://archive.ph/95QCM#selection-171.149-175.1

https://greatwhitecon.info/2015/04/gros ... ce-trends/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Krikey!

We’re going into the next Ice Age, aren’t we?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Catsumi wrote: May 4th, 2024, 7:00 pm Krikey!

We’re going into the next Ice Age, aren’t we?
Eventually I am sure. We should probably try to figure out what causes them. Interesting about the arctic ice extent. The data I understand is from the Canadian Ice Service which starts in 1971.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

If we get to vote on causes of long last droughts followed by bitter cold ice ages, I’d vote for ocean currents first, then volcanoes, then sunspots.

The weather has certainly affected humanity since the beginning. I think a nice graph depicting revolutions and riots, famine and migrations as they relate to long term weather events would be kind of nifty
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Catsumi wrote: May 5th, 2024, 9:36 am If we get to vote on causes of long last droughts followed by bitter cold ice ages, I’d vote for ocean currents first, then volcanoes, then sunspots.

The weather has certainly affected humanity since the beginning. I think a nice graph depicting revolutions and riots, famine and migrations as they relate to long term weather events would be kind of nifty
What the Klimate Kooks won't ever admit is that the energy emanating from the sun is not a constant. All of their moronic "modeling" deliberately excludes any effects of sun energy going up and down, because, they haven't figured out a way to tax sunshine. Yet. Or make people feel guilty about being out in the sun and enjoying the weather. So therefore, the sun doesn't exist. If you can't find a political reason to use it, then ignore it. Because we all know that this ain't about the climate, it's all about wealth redistribution with these kooks.
“It doesn’t matter whether you’re black or brown or white or whatever the hell color you are — it doesn’t matter. We are all Americans, and we are going to pull together as Americans!” - Donald J. Trump, soon to be president-elect 2024.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Take that, Klimate Kooks!
Shell shareholders reject investor climate resolution

LONDON (Reuters) -Shell shareholders on Tuesday rejected a resolution filed by a group of investors urging the energy company to set tougher climate targets.

The vote came after Shell (LON:RDSa) CEO Wael Sawan weakened a 2030 carbon reduction target in March, citing expectations for strong gas demand and uncertainty in the energy transition, while focusing on more profitable operations, mainly in oil and gas.

The investor resolution received 18.6% support from shareholders in preliminary results. A separate resolution from Shell's board on its climate strategy won 78.2% support.
https://ca.investing.com/news/stock-mar ... on-3419877
Last edited by Frisk on May 21st, 2024, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened article
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Water levels in Great Slave Lake hit new record low

"It will likely come as no surprise to residents along Yellowknife Bay watching their shoreline extending further and further out into the bay that Great Slave Lake is once again breaking records for the lowest water levels ever recorded.

Water levels on the lake are now at their lowest point since Yellowknife's founding in 1934, smashing the previous record set in mid-July of last year by 20 cm.

“Low water levels on Great Slave Lake have impacted access to traditional fishing, hunting, and trapping areas, barge access to communities, boat launches, and reliable navigation on the lake and connected rivers,” said Thomas Bentham, a spokesperson for the GNWT Department of Environment and Climate Change.

He added that very low water levels can trigger higher water temperatures and impact lake productivity, causing changes in water quality conditions. For example, less water means less dilution of substances, such as salts and metals, which can influence the health of fish and other aquatic life. Low water levels can also decrease or change available habitat of fish, waterfowl, and fur bearers, such as mink and muskrat. Aquatic weed beds that provide food and cover for other organisms can dry up, and shoreline vegetation will struggle to survive."

https://www.nnsl.com/news/water-levels- ... ow-7358139

I watched a news bit on this issue yesterday. Indigenous communities in the area depend on barge traffic for delivery of supplies, most notably groceries, and lake levels are resulting in some communities being cut off from those supply lines becasue there is not enough water for the barges to navigate.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I agree that it is the driest it's ever been up and yellow night but that is not climate change. Extremes are not climate change. To show climate change you show all the data points and show the trend over the past 90 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Glacier wrote: Jun 1st, 2024, 8:40 am I agree that it is the driest it's ever been up and yellow night but that is not climate change. Extremes are not climate change. To show climate change you show all the data points and show the trend over the past 90 years.
:up: :up:

That's right. Lake Garda in Italy was a climate freak-show. Getting "dangerously low". Now it is over-flowing.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2024/04/10/ ... erflowing/

Other lakes such as Lake Meade are mismanaged. It is always raining somewhere, you just don't have control over where it will rain.

The great lakes is another climate freak-show. Oh no, climate change is drying them out! Wait a minute, climate change is now filling them up! No, no, sorry, climate change is emptying them out! Wait a minute, they are full again.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/06/29/ ... ord-highs/

Variability is an unknown word to people under-going the mental stresses of these apparently random changes.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

From fluffy’s link

Water levels on the lake are now at their lowest point since Yellowknife's founding in 1934 smashing the previous record set in mid-July of last year by 20 cm.
Ok, what else was going on in 1930’s in North America?

Could this have been when extreme drought was experienced all over the western side of N America?

Back then it was termed ‘the dirty 30s’ when no rain fell and dust, tonnes of it, were swept away to the eastern portion. It was so dark at mid-day due to soil erosion being lifted from west to east.

Unknown
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'm not so inclined to dismiss this as a passing hiccup. The effects of climate change are being felt more severely in both the Arctic and Antarctic, melting polar caps are having an effect on ocean depths which is already being felt in low-lying areas. Ocean levels are expected to rise 10 to 12 inches by 2050, equal to the rise over the past 100 years. We are reaching a tipping point with changing weather, where frequency and severity of weather changes reaches a level unseen before.

What if sea levels rose 12 inches?

Key Takeaways

Climate change will cause an inevitable 12-inch (30-centimeter) rise in sea levels. Estimates of when this will happen range from the mid-21st century to 2100.
This rise in sea levels will cause more severe high tides and storm surges, leading to chronic flooding and damage to coastal communities.
The intrusion of saltwater inland will contaminate freshwater supplies and disrupt ecosystems, while coastal erosion will impact tourism and potentially displace entire populations.

At this point in human history, a 12-inch (30-centimeter) rise in sea levels isn't hypothetical. Instead, it's a matter of when it will happen and what's going to happen afterward.

Sea-level rise stems from two factors, both of which result from climate change: thermal expansion — in which the ocean expands in volume after absorbing some of the heat trapped in the atmosphere — and the melting glaciers, ice caps and ice sheets that deposit into the ocean water that had once been frozen on land. Since the start of the 20th century, experts have measured global sea-level rise to be anywhere from 0.02 inches (0.6 millimeters) to 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) per year. Cautious estimates point to a 12-inch rise in global sea levels by 2100, while some experts predict such an increase by the middle of the 21st century [sources: Union of Concerned Scientists, Plumer].

https://science.howstuffworks.com/scien ... inches.htm
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

fluffy wrote: Jun 2nd, 2024, 7:58 am Since the start of the 20th century, experts have measured global sea-level rise to be anywhere from 0.02 inches (0.6 millimeters) to 0.12 inches (3 millimeters) per year. Cautious estimates point to a 12-inch rise in global sea levels by 2100, while some experts predict such an increase by the middle of the 21st century [sources: Union of Concerned Scientists, Plumer].[/i]

https://science.howstuffworks.com/scien ... inches.htm
If you've read this part and can't see the contradiction and fear mongering, the brain washing has been successful.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So you contend that fear is not warranted then ? On what research to you base that ? Something you saw on Fox News ?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”