Low cost astronomy

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Low cost astronomy

Post by Catsumi »

Well, OT, must say that I LIKE your hobby. Be careful about directing gaze too low. Causes a ruckus in the neighbourhood.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Can’t think of any problems with that :-) Must have come with some eyepieces too huh? There’s not much to a reflector so should last you a long time, at least longer than your eyeballs ;-) Look at Orion’s sword next. Or andromeda.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Great hobby. Neat stuff right now is Jupiter and it's moons. Last night the moon was very close so makes viewing the big guy a bit more difficult. Your scope will be easily powerful enough to see the big 4 and if you time it right, possibly the Red Spot and maybe a shadow of one of the moons on Jupiter itself.

You can use this simple site to plan ahead.

http://www.shallowsky.com/jupiter/

Saturn is always an awesome sight in a telescope. Coming up to it's brightest in June.

Later, in the fall would be a great time to spot Uranus and Neptune.

But the big event is Mars. Will not be this close again until 2035. This summer it will be at it's brightest.

This is from Space.com

https://www.space.com/39240-when-to-see ... e-sky.html
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Thats awesome! Star/planet gazing is always fascinating. Just the idea of being able to see another planet from ours is simply amazing. Enjoy the clear night skies and enjoy your telescope! :D
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Can I bring my boys over? Might even let them look through the scope if they can pull Dad away from it. :130:

Great hobby. Always got me frustrated - needed someone who could show me the basics to get me started.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

TylerM4 wrote:Can I bring my boys over? Might even let them look through the scope if they can pull Dad away from it. :130:

I hear you on that :biggrin:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Oh yeah, all you nerdys pointing your telescopes at my windows, drooling, slobbering.

Tonight?

New pink negligee needs eye approval.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

oldtrucker wrote:Who needs expensive electronic gizmos for entertainment when you have one of these.

Amen to that! :up:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

oldtrucker wrote:I had a look at M51- Whirlpool galaxy...23 million light years away. Andromeda M31(2.2 million light years)...what 'section' of the Andromeda galaxy should I observe? Been watching the changing positions of Jupiters moons every night. It doesn't matter where I point it in the sky, even though with the naked eye there may be nothing there--my eyepiece is full of countless stars. Every few minutes I see micro meteors and satellites that would be otherwise invisible.
Who needs expensive electronic gizmos for entertainment when you have one of these.
Edit Sometime maybe there will be a 'nerd night' at oldtruckers place.

Queeniekins will wear her "I Love Nerds" t-shirt ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I regret selling my 8" Vixen catadioptric... but it was a grunt to carry everything around. I may be in the market for a more portable telescope.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I purchased the tube for about $1000 many years ago, plus eyepieces $$, plus diagonal $$, and a motorized mount (2x telescope cost).

I see the scopes are still pretty close at $899US. All together fairly bulky, expensive, and 50lbs of mount, tripod, and tube. Good tube tho.

https://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-VMC200L-Reflector-Telescope-p/58291.htm
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

If you have what I am thinking, it probably takes standard 1.25" eyepieces. There are a number of places in Canada that sell new and used eyepieces in various focal lengths and qualities. There is 'astrobuysell.com' which is Canadian, plus various retailers of telescopes and accessories across the country, and even in Burnaby. Sirius Science in Penticton may also have something.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^ There is always a price to be paid when gazing at lips and peaks OT. Suck it up, buttercup.
Skeeters extract their payment too.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

"Catsumi, the Mosquito Tamer" is busy collecting vials of your sanguine fluids, sweetie, for analysis, possible replication and then, in the event of success, into the nitrogen bath with your twin.

Thought I better get on this cryoproject, just in case, well, you know. SofBunny might end it all.

BTW, I am missing my curtains in these early morning sunrises. :200:

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Hmmmm too bad. Well, comes down to quality optics, filters, useful magnification, and good viewing conditions. The Sky chart seems to indicate good viewing conditions though, lately.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”