Low cost astronomy

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Re: Low cost astronomy

Post by DANSPEED »

I got my new telescope and planetary camera (not exactly "low cost") the same day the fire started in West Kelowna and haven't been able to see anything apart from a orange moon because of the smoke. I was using my old Bushnell Spacemaster II for years to look at the moon, spy on the town and my neighbors then one day I found out I can see Jupiter's moons and Saturn's rings with it at 60x. I'm hoping my new 6" SCT will be even better! From what I read so far setting up the camera and using third-party software to control it is going to be a real learning curve. A video I watched on astrophotography said the best advice for anyone wanting to take up the hobby is DON'T! ... that doesn't sound very encouraging!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 5th, 2023, 11:28 am
DANSPEED wrote: Aug 29th, 2023, 11:08 pm I got my new telescope and planetary camera (not exactly "low cost") the same day the fire started in West Kelowna and haven't been able to see anything apart from a orange moon because of the smoke. I was using my old Bushnell Spacemaster II for years to look at the moon, spy on the town and my neighbors then one day I found out I can see Jupiter's moons and Saturn's rings with it at 60x. I'm hoping my new 6" SCT will be even better! From what I read so far setting up the camera and using third-party software to control it is going to be a real learning curve. A video I watched on astrophotography said the best advice for anyone wanting to take up the hobby is DON'T! ... that doesn't sound very encouraging!
Forest fire or not, get out of the valley and away from light pollution. Drive up to the brake check on the connector. It's high enough to be above local smoke and it's west upwind.
Excellent suggestion. I used to take my 8" Vixen up there. Eventually that sort of stuff falls out of the 'low cost' category once you decide to do more than visual observation. Also, lugging heavy stuff around out of the valley after the rest of the family wants to go to bed starts lookin' funny. One has to have a very understanding spouse. I no longer have my VMC200L as I sold it to someone more deserving.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

oldtrucker wrote: Sep 5th, 2023, 11:28 am Forest fire or not, get out of the valley and away from light pollution. Drive up to the brake check on the connector. It's high enough to be above local smoke and it's west upwind.
:up: ... In town I can't even find three bright objects to align the telescope!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Omg yes you can.

The summer triangle is soooo present

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Triangle

Some of the brightest stars in the Hemisphere,
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”