Windows 10 fall update paused!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Re: Windows 10 fall update paused!

Post by DANSPEED »

crookedmember wrote:If more Windows users did that, they'd discover not only that they rarely need Windows, but also that they prefer using Mint.

Maybe .... Every time I install or try using any Linux flavor within no time I end up in terminal, bash, shell, sudo whatever it's called trying to decipher some undocumented boot error or endless compiling warning messages or some repository script error. Same issue with my NAS which is Linux based. Hours and days searching forums trying to get a third party video driver to load or WiFi working or Google Earth to compile or just getting the sound working on my laptop. Total waste of time! Many device manufactures either don't make Linux drivers or make really bad ones. If you want to have some real fun with Linux try PXE booting. After six months I finally got Mint to boot via my web server. I must say that the pain of installing a Linux distro now is much less from when I first tried using Red Hat back in the 90's. If your new to Linux and it works out of the box for you, great have fun, but if it doesn't you may find that under the hood Linux can be a very unfamiliar and frustrating place. I've tried Linux many times and always ended up going back to good old Windows.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Yet nearly all crucial server systems are linux based so go figure. :smt045
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

DANSPEED wrote: I've tried Linux many times and always ended up going back to good old Windows.

Me too, and the number of programs that just will not work or just poorly work with Linux makes it not worth the hassle.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

crookedmember wrote:It's pretty easy to dual boot Windows and Linux Mint on the same machine.

A word of caution ... image your Windows drive first! I've let Linux Live install setup a dual boot many times only to find the Windows partition was gone or wiped. It's like that famous line in the movie The Thing when Kurt Russell asks about the generator, "Any way we can fix it?" .... "It's GONE, MacReady."
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:^^ Yet nearly all crucial server systems are linux based so go figure. :smt045

That's not really accurate.

I'd say "Many" are linux based. My previous job I was responsible for 1200 servers. Many were running critical services, it's not a stretch to say that "lives were on the line" if there was an extended outage/downtime for some of those 1200. Of those 1200 about a dozen were linux based or ~1%.

Linux has it's advantages. Performance, cost, stability, etc. What it's not is easy. It's a great choice if you're going to design a brand new system from scratch, you plan to write all/most of the code yourself, and you're willing to spend a lot of time updating that code for all the various flavors of server hardware that come along. It's a great choice for an "in-house" solution that you can't buy off the shelf (doesn't exist, cost, etc.).

If you "Just want to write an app that people can install on their server" then Windows is the way to go. That 25% performance hit and the cost of licensing - totally worth it in many scenarios.
alexsmith789

Post by alexsmith789 »

When I was updating the Windows 10 then suddenly the update stopped and after that lenovo screen flicker started which was really giving trouble. I cannot use my laptop at all after that as I could not see anything on the screen.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

alexsmith789 wrote:When I was updating the Windows 10 then suddenly the update stopped and after that lenovo screen flicker started which was really giving trouble. I cannot use my laptop at all after that as I could not see anything on the screen.

You may get a faster response by starting a new topic.

If you get a BIOS image or bootsplash of any kind on your laptop display during power up then I'm guessing it's a Windows video driver issue, try removing it in safe mode. If the laptop display is blank during power up but the fan runs then it could be a hardware issue. You could try powering down the laptop, unplugging the power cord, removing the battery for a few minutes, reinstalling the battery/power cord and powering up the laptop again. If that doesn't work (most likely it won't) ask Lenovo for help.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”