Smart Home Devices

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Smart Home Devices

Postby oneh2obabe » May 19th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Best Buy has it on sale ... none in store but product is available for back order.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=google+home
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 16453 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 1st, 2020, 5:56 am

Home Depot had them in stock.

My 8 station B-Hyve smart irrigation controller arrived yesterday from Amazon.

I had the wiring all run beforehand so it didn't take too long to set up and test.

The app took a bit of time to figure out but not too bad.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 2nd, 2020, 4:24 am

Tried a voice command for watering my veggie garden this morning and it worked perfectly.

Glacier likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 2nd, 2020, 5:28 am

Bsuds wrote:Tried a voice command for watering my veggie garden this morning and it worked perfectly.

Let me guess........your wife commanded you to go water the garden?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6950 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 4th, 2020, 9:43 am

We all know that we don't require an app to remind us to take out the garbage.

A wife will remind you, and after 1 snooze cycle, the reminder keeps getting louder.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6950 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 9th, 2020, 3:40 pm

alanjh595 wrote:We all know that we don't require an app to remind us to take out the garbage.

A wife will remind you, and after 1 snooze cycle, the reminder keeps getting louder.

Saying "Hey Google shut up!" doesn't work on that reminder either.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Glacier » Jan 21st, 2021, 1:03 pm

I'm really enjoying the smart switches. You can get them for under 20 bucks, and they really help with keeping the lights off when you have absent minded kids that don't know where the switch is (apparently). Even better, I installed a few of them at a daycare and set up the timers so that they automatically come on 18 minutes after sunset, and automatically go off at 5:42, which allows all the parents to pick up their kids without slipping on ice as they fumble in the dark like they were doing. It also saves power by not being on all day or night.

I recently ordered a smart irrigation controller to replace my manual valves. My wife's flower bed half die every summer because I kept forgetting to water on even days, and she wouldn't break the law by watering on odd days, so hardly any watering happened. With this controller, things will get watered, but not overwatered. I have to fill the fish pond in the summer, and if it's down a foot, it will take 20 minutes to fill, and by then I have forgotten about turning it on, so it spills over for 20 minutes (and sometimes for a couple of hours) because I notice. Not anymore!

I'm thinking my next purchase will be a smart garage door opener just because that would make life a little easier.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 16344 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 21st, 2021, 2:37 pm

I have some light switches that I can set to turn off automatically if they are left on.

I give them 30 min and then off they go. works great with our hallway light that no one remembers to turn off.

Garage door opener works great in the summer when we like to leave it open to help cool things off.

We have a night time routine that turns on the bedroom lights and everything else turns off including making sure the garage is closed.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby ORWELL » Jan 21st, 2021, 5:06 pm

DO the garage door opener, replaced ours last summer, if you've ever done the ole - "did see if they were closed? ~ i don't know, thought you closed them, was there a broom in a way? " and had to turn around or fretted, this will end that. AND an amazing solution for those who have nightly visitors looking for opportunities..... no more of that!

with these new ones you can program to auto close after set duration, check the status remotely and open/close, and set a notification/tone if someone opens the door during the middle of the night to your email/smart phone. sorry kids no more sneaking in! I forgot I had created a schedule for that until I finally set it off myself and took me a second to go, oh wait that was me... stand down ...and battery backups good for 10 open/closes!

...now if we can just trick the vehicle manufacturers to use one of the several of cpu clocks in todays cars to set a user created schedule to lock/relock the doors for those who can't seem to lock them or "the one time I forgot to lock it".... we'd see a lot less posts of "opportunists" looking for auto open cars
ORWELL

Liked in: 14 posts

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology