Smart Home Devices

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Smart Home Devices

Post by oneh2obabe »

Best Buy has it on sale ... none in store but product is available for back order.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=google+home
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Home Depot had them in stock.

My 8 station B-Hyve smart irrigation controller arrived yesterday from Amazon.

I had the wiring all run beforehand so it didn't take too long to set up and test.

The app took a bit of time to figure out but not too bad.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tried a voice command for watering my veggie garden this morning and it worked perfectly.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:Tried a voice command for watering my veggie garden this morning and it worked perfectly.

Let me guess........your wife commanded you to go water the garden?
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

We all know that we don't require an app to remind us to take out the garbage.

A wife will remind you, and after 1 snooze cycle, the reminder keeps getting louder.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:We all know that we don't require an app to remind us to take out the garbage.

A wife will remind you, and after 1 snooze cycle, the reminder keeps getting louder.

Saying "Hey Google shut up!" doesn't work on that reminder either.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm really enjoying the smart switches. You can get them for under 20 bucks, and they really help with keeping the lights off when you have absent minded kids that don't know where the switch is (apparently). Even better, I installed a few of them at a daycare and set up the timers so that they automatically come on 18 minutes after sunset, and automatically go off at 5:42, which allows all the parents to pick up their kids without slipping on ice as they fumble in the dark like they were doing. It also saves power by not being on all day or night.

I recently ordered a smart irrigation controller to replace my manual valves. My wife's flower bed half die every summer because I kept forgetting to water on even days, and she wouldn't break the law by watering on odd days, so hardly any watering happened. With this controller, things will get watered, but not overwatered. I have to fill the fish pond in the summer, and if it's down a foot, it will take 20 minutes to fill, and by then I have forgotten about turning it on, so it spills over for 20 minutes (and sometimes for a couple of hours) because I notice. Not anymore!

I'm thinking my next purchase will be a smart garage door opener just because that would make life a little easier.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have some light switches that I can set to turn off automatically if they are left on.

I give them 30 min and then off they go. works great with our hallway light that no one remembers to turn off.

Garage door opener works great in the summer when we like to leave it open to help cool things off.

We have a night time routine that turns on the bedroom lights and everything else turns off including making sure the garage is closed.
ORWELL

Post by ORWELL »

DO the garage door opener, replaced ours last summer, if you've ever done the ole - "did see if they were closed? ~ i don't know, thought you closed them, was there a broom in a way? " and had to turn around or fretted, this will end that. AND an amazing solution for those who have nightly visitors looking for opportunities..... no more of that!

with these new ones you can program to auto close after set duration, check the status remotely and open/close, and set a notification/tone if someone opens the door during the middle of the night to your email/smart phone. sorry kids no more sneaking in! I forgot I had created a schedule for that until I finally set it off myself and took me a second to go, oh wait that was me... stand down ...and battery backups good for 10 open/closes!

...now if we can just trick the vehicle manufacturers to use one of the several of cpu clocks in todays cars to set a user created schedule to lock/relock the doors for those who can't seem to lock them or "the one time I forgot to lock it".... we'd see a lot less posts of "opportunists" looking for auto open cars
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bumped up

I guess it was only matter of time (or I never noticed before) robo vacuums have outdoor version to mow your lawn.
I happened to see a commercial few days ago.
So 2 more chores that could be off my to do list, just have to get robo vacuum and it’s outdoor companion the robo mower.

https://bestreviews.com/best-robotic-lawn-mowers
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ORWELL wrote:..now if we can just trick the vehicle manufacturers to use one of the several of cpu clocks in todays cars to set a user created schedule to lock/relock the doors for those who can't seem to lock them or "the one time I forgot to lock it".... we'd see a lot less posts of "opportunists" looking for auto open cars
I can lock/unlock my new car from my phone. Remote start as well.
jcdenton
Übergod

Post by jcdenton »

I won't own smart devices in my home, outside maybe a smart phone. I used to work for a smart home installation company and I know how bad their security is. The devices have a microphone that can listen to your conversations, and some can even take video of the users. This data is sent to to company and stored on their servers. Yes it is encrypted, but they still have access to it. And that data can and has been used against the homeowners in criminal cases, so watch what you say to it!

Definitely wont buy an Alexa. Amazon keeps saying it only listens when you give it the keywords...but not only has it been caught recording when it wasn't supposed to over and over, but how can it "only" listen when you give it keywords, unless its ALWAYS LISTENING? lol Buying an Alexa is a gift for Amazon, not for you, since Amazon now has insight into your conversations and buying habits which is worth a lot to them.

Now, if these smart devices were 100% controlled by me, and I had total control over all of the data they send, and the camera system was on its own offline network I would be all for it! Maybe even an offline Alexa that could still manage music and do cached offline searches would be cool
Last edited by jcdenton on Jun 21st, 2021, 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

I did get a laugh out of this use of smart devices, mainly from the reaction of homeowners, the actual use makes a lot of sense:
But some residents are waking up in a sweat to find their pre-set thermostat temperatures were going up. This was no malfunction, the adjustments were made remotely by their energy company to save power.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-AALhidh
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I've installed a camera doorbell and it's pretty cool. If somebody rings you can see who it is and ignore them. Gives you warning if somebody gets close to the door
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 10:26 am I did get a laugh out of this use of smart devices, mainly from the reaction of homeowners, the actual use makes a lot of sense:
But some residents are waking up in a sweat to find their pre-set thermostat temperatures were going up. This was no malfunction, the adjustments were made remotely by their energy company to save power.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... ar-AALhidh
Hahahaha... that is hilarious. Personally, I thought California would had been mentioned in the article, not Texas.
I checked around to see this has existed in California for years. The thermostat technology in general has been enabled for 10 or more years.

This is what happens with renewables. You have to ration unreliable energy AND pay double, triple, quadruple costs depending where you live.

I wonder what sort of liabilities exist, if any, when someone else controls your thermostat?

https://www.scpr.org/news/2017/08/28/75 ... tats-duri/

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... y-building
Galileo - In the sciences, the authority of thousands of opinions is not worth as much as one tiny spark of reason from an individual man.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”