Smart Home Devices

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
spooker
Guru

Re: Smart Home Devices

Post by spooker »

Jlabute wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 11:09 am Hahahaha... that is hilarious. Personally, I thought California would had been mentioned in the article, not Texas.
I checked around to see this has existed in California for years. The thermostat technology in general has been enabled for 10 or more years.

This is what happens with renewables. You have to ration unreliable energy AND pay double, triple, quadruple costs depending where you live.

I wonder what sort of liabilities exist, if any, when someone else controls your thermostat?

https://www.scpr.org/news/2017/08/28/75 ... tats-duri/

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... y-building
It is unique in that the homeowners put themselves in this position by the way they elected to get a smart thermostat ... it's not like Google is going to backdoor all their Nest devices at the behest of the local electrical grid ... but someone at the supplier realized this might be useful and figured out to get the buy-in ... but just as we've been trained over the last 30 years, who reads the EULA?
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

I have quite a few of smart devices built into my house, and I'm pretty happy with them. They work wonders for me. Thermostat, light switches, plugs, irrigation, video surveillance, leak sensors, most appliances, energy monitor, ... . Never experienced any security breaches. I think, such claims are a bit on paranoid side ... :200:
Last edited by BC Landlord on Jun 24th, 2021, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
Current # of posters on the list: 5
Newest Addition: _______________
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

And really, when you look at it, who cares what time your lights come on, or what your house temperature is?

How can this information be used for nefarious purposes?
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I would like to know is;
What is required to use something like Alexa?
Does it require internet, wi-fi, a data plan, another computer?
How does it communicate with other devices? Blutooth?
Bring back the LIKE button.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 10:57 am And really, when you look at it, who cares what time your lights come on, or what your house temperature is?
Exactly! We are not talking a bank or CRA account.
alanjh595 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 11:04 amI would like to know is;
You would need Wi-fi connection (your regular home internet, with a wi-fi router). Same with your phone, whatever you're already on. Alexa is Google app that serves as a hub for a plethora of smart devices, so that you don't have to use separate apps for each different device manufacturer. All my devices are on Wi-fi. Not sure if there are some Bluetooth based, since that's a very short proximity comm.
Posters who once get on my ignore list do not get off it easily. They would have to demonstrably improve their behavior.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 11:31 am
alanjh595 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 10:57 am And really, when you look at it, who cares what time your lights come on, or what your house temperature is?
Exactly! We are not talking a bank or CRA account.
Three things have been useful for nefarious purposes:
  • Knowing if the residents have been gone from the house for an extended length of time
  • Using internal cameras to detect occupancy
  • Using IoT devices that are less secure to infiltrate devices that are more secure by spoofing origin
Unfortunately people are quite creative and the amount of data provided can be interpreted in too many way ...
BC Landlord wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 11:31 am
alanjh595 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 11:04 amI would like to know is;
You would need Wi-fi connection (your regular home internet, with a wi-fi router). Same with your phone, whatever you're already on. Alexa is Google app that serves as a hub for a plethora of smart devices, so that you don't have to use separate apps for each different device manufacturer. All my devices are on Wi-fi. Not sure if there are some Bluetooth based, since that's a very short proximity comm.
Yes for the WiFi router ... you can get an Amazon Echo device that allows direct interaction with Alexa through voice ... or you can install the Amazon Alexa app on either iPhone or Android phone ... when you have smart devices hooked up to the same network you will usually be able to enable a "skill" in Alexa that would then allow it to communicate with those devices through the home WiFi ... Bluetooth is not a typical protocol for many IoT devices since it requires a shorter distance for communication and usually works by "pairing" with the controlling device, i.e. older Schlage door locks were Bluetooth but had a bridge you could buy that would then allow it communicate over the WiFi and be accessible outside the home ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 11:31 am Alexa is Google app that serves as a hub for a plethora of smart devices,
Alexa and Google are 2 different apps and systems. They are not the same.
One day you will find someone who is obsessed with you.
It will most likely be a Dog, but it is what it is.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Bsuds wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 2:01 pm Alexa and Google are 2 different apps and systems. They are not the same.
Correct. Alexa is Amazon.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

spooker wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 1:55 pm Three things have been useful for nefarious purposes:
  • Knowing if the residents have been gone from the house for an extended length of time
  • Using IoT devices that are less secure to infiltrate devices that are more secure by spoofing origin
Just about anything with internet access can be used for nefarious purposes, including your home computer, cell phone, tablet, etc, with all of their content. In my case, the benefits of smart technology by far outweigh risks.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 1:55 pm Three things have been useful for nefarious purposes:
Far to many idiots tell their entire daily BS so the world will read on social media sites. Looky over here prime location for a burglar.
Homeowner then wonders how they knew when to hit.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 9:09 pm Just about anything with internet access can be used for nefarious purposes, including your home computer, cell phone, tablet, etc, with all of their content. In my case, the benefits of smart technology by far outweigh risks.
Agreed. Stupid devices can't get hacked but smart devices are the better option despite the risk. I use smart plugs so I can monitor how much electricity my air conditioning units are using.
Screenshot_20210625-072532.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 9:09 pm Just about anything with internet access can be used for nefarious purposes, including your home computer, cell phone, tablet, etc, with all of their content. In my case, the benefits of smart technology by far outweigh risks.
You've decided the risk is worth the benefit to you ... sounds fine ... my comments earlier were more in response to the dismissive statements you traded with alanjh595 ... many choices can help someone get the benefits and minimize the risk ... buying IoT via Amazon for the cheapest price might make it easier for someone to get hacked ... the instances of hacking are rare but we need to have all the information
--
― Ernest Hemingway
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As the ransomware industry grows... individuals can now go out and hire or rent ransomware. Get a some easy money on the side.
Nasty business
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”