Computer/internet Pet Peeves.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Computer/internet Pet Peeves.

Post by Bsuds »

I find it irritating that no matter where the Mouse pointer rests on the screen when on the internet an information box of some kind pops up. Usually it interferes with whatever I am trying to read and I have to move the Mouse and find a spot where this doesn't happen.

The other pop ups are very annoying too. Either trying to sell you something or telling me I am using an Ad blocker (Duh, I know that) and wanting me to white list their site so they can get paid for me seeing ads I don't want to see!

Rant over.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Computer/internet Pet Peeves.

Post by kelownman »

Have you got your privacy settings all turned off? (settings, privacy.)

Also, turn off some or all of the notifications & actions, (settings, system, notifications & action), turn off
---show reminders and incoming voip calls
---show me windows welcome experience
---get tips, tricks and suggestions

That might help, although I do still get that pop up about some product maybe 2 times a week), although that only has started to appear after the latest OS update.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Those are all off and always have been. I double checked just to make sure.
Some of the stuff that I find annoying isn't advertising but the info window that come up when the mouse pointer stops over a "button" .
Like the buttons on Castanet's banner showing the different choices. "Home" "BC" Canada" etc. I know what the heck they are I don't really need them to expand without clicking on them.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Did a google search and got this link...

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/g ... s-10s-ads/

in particular is the instructions for "removing ads from File Explorer" and " How to remove ads from the Windows Ink Workspace"

No idea if this will stop those popups, but may as well try and see if that fixes the issue ;)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Had a look at those and none are related to what I am talking about.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

How about this link

https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to ... vertising/

The "get fun facts, tips and more...." was turned on for my computer.... so I turned it off ;)
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:Had a look at those and none are related to what I am talking about.

I don't think you can do much about those popups that ask you to whitelist the page, with the sob story they give you about using a blocker.

I've experimented with several different ad blockers and none of them stops those.

Currently using Adblock Plus.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

And the other ones I'm annoyed with are built into the websites. Nothing can be done about those either except if they made the delay a bit longer.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

I block all cookies and tracking so I constantly get popups from sites saying that they desperately need my cookies to better enhance their site or to stay in business --- oh boo-hoo!

One thing I hate is sites that hit you with a free coupon or join popup as soon as you move your mouse --- Grrr!

And sites like Home Hardware that want to know your location or make you enter a postal code before you can see the price.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

What drives me batty(ier) is sports/news sites with a video running at the top of the page and as you scroll down trying to read the article the video follows you. It's so blasted distracting, even on mute.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

DANSPEED wrote:And sites like Home Hardware that want to know your location or make you enter a postal code before you can see the price.

if they want a postal code I just use one from a business area i.e V1Y 8G6... who's going to know.
This one is from part of Spall Plaza
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

My latest peeve is loss of login on Castanet whenever I leave to check another site such as National Post. Constantly now having to sign in repeatedly. "Remember me" doesn't do the trick either.

I use an IOS 9, I know it's old, but why the sudden change? I have adjusted settings, tried everything I can think of without luck. Maybe someone else has had same issue and solved it? :135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:My latest peeve is loss of login on Castanet whenever I leave to check another site such as National Post. Constantly now having to sign in repeatedly. "Remember me" doesn't do the trick either.

I use an IOS 9, I know it's old, but why the sudden change? I have adjusted settings, tried everything I can think of without luck. Maybe someone else has had same issue and solved it? :135:

You might want to post this in the complaint dept if it's still ongoing. Troy should see it there and might be able to help.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

As soon as it started dropping login I did contact Troy. He said nothing changed at Castanet end.

I also deleted and then reloaded Castanet without luck.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

It has to be something in your settings, but I have no idea what it could be.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”