Fibre optic service. worth it?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby mexi cali » Jun 21st, 2019, 7:21 am

We live in a condo complex and every year, Telus sends a rep around to try to sell us on having the service installed. Free to all.

The issue I have as do many others is that, when it is being installed after the fact, the "invisiline" cable needs to be surface mounted and then there is a junction box inside the front door of each suite which, no matter what you do, you can't adequately disguise it.

I had a Telus service tech in my home a while ago and he asked why we didn't have it and I explained to him what I just stated so we stepped into the hall to see how an installation might go. He confirmed that the lines would have to be surface mounted as well as the need for the junction box but he then went on to say that, in his opinion, and he has it at his home, that the difference in speed and quality isn't that great.

So once again, Telus has sent a rep around and a couple of council members seem to be considering it.

My question to you is, what have you heard, what is your experience if you have it and overall, is it worth it?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 6411 posts

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby dle » Jun 21st, 2019, 7:40 am

We too were approached by a company representing Telus to install it.

We were told:

1) Having it would add approx. $5,000.00 to the value of our suites;

2) It is FREE as far as having it installed to your common areas, and each suite, BUT it is capped off in your suite until you want to call Telus to have it ACTIVATED. Then, it will be a "service" and the fee added to your Telus bill each month. There is no obligation to activate it. It will just be there "installed" when someone does want to activate it.

That being said, we were also told that even having it brought into the suites and capped off until the super high-speed is desired, it will still make the internet service you have faster by double just by having it installed and capped off;

3) Apparently, the little part (junction box I think you called it) will be installed in each suite near the ceiling inside the closet closest to your entrance door so it will be out of sight. We were shown the little piece that will show and it's the size of a quarter, maybe a loonie, and sits flat against the wall. The common area installation that we were showed involved a very small white wire running along the ceiling along the wall join. The pieces we were shown were very small and didn't seem intrusive in the least;

Our condo voted it in. I too am curious as to how others are finding it that have it.
dle
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3891 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 21st, 2019, 7:44 am

In our community, (Summerland) just before and after the fibre optic service was completed, we were inundated with "BC Tel" sales reps. I have BC Tel in quotes because none of them were actually BC Tel employees, they were all employed by out of town soliciting companies. Each complete with "BC Tel" jackets, lanyards and iPads.

I got stories like with the new fibre optic service I could record as many as ten (10) programs at once (Lie). The packages I was told I was going to get, when discussed with a real BC Tel rep were wrong. One neighbor went so far as to schedule an install. When he checked with BC Tel, the date arranged was completely impossible, the equipment was wrong, he just cancelled.

Be very careful of what you are told at the door. In my experience, they will say anything to get your order.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2722 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jun 21st, 2019, 7:48 am

i had it installed at my house.. installation was a cluster :cuss: . they dug up my yard, and then put my line through the neighbors yard instead, so had to draw it through their line.. very odd.. and they didn't fix my yard, as promised..
anyways, speed (even if you get the fastest service) is much slower than the other provider, at least in my case.. but i have always preferred Telus for other reasons, so I've kept it for now.. tv and internet.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 980 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 21st, 2019, 8:10 am

dle wrote:That being said, we were also told that even having it brought into the suites and capped off until the super high-speed is desired, it will still make the internet service you have faster by double just by having it installed and capped off.

Sorry but that's impossible.

We have fibre and if you want 4k TV you need it. Not much difference in noticeable speed over the 50k we had before but the more stuff you have on the internet the higher speeds help.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby dle » Jun 21st, 2019, 8:31 am

Bsuds wrote:
dle wrote:That being said, we were also told that even having it brought into the suites and capped off until the super high-speed is desired, it will still make the internet service you have faster by double just by having it installed and capped off.

Sorry but that's impossible.

We have fibre and if you want 4k TV you need it. Not much difference in noticeable speed over the 50k we had before but the more stuff you have on the internet the higher speeds help.

Good to know - I always wonder if they are feeding a line when promoting this stuff so it's good to hear from others who got it. The company that pitched it to us was a company from Vancouver and the name escapes me but started with an "M"..it was either 3 letters like "MNO" or whatever, or "M & something"....

Our strata apparently vetted them through Telus and they approved them so hopefully we aren't getting a bill of goods...
dle
Lord of the Board

Postby Bsuds » Jun 21st, 2019, 8:39 am

They all have their issues but for the most part I like Telus and get good service from them. We even signed up for a security system from them. It was cheaper than from the alarm Co we were using with better equipment and monitoring.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jun 21st, 2019, 8:59 am

Bsuds wrote:They all have their issues but for the most part I like Telus and get good service from them. We even signed up for a security system from them. It was cheaper than from the alarm Co we were using with better equipment and monitoring.

i believe Telus took over Alarmforce (or someone like that).. must say that even with the screw-ups i had with install and everything,i still prefer Telus.. (friendly) customer service is one of the reasons.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 980 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Jun 21st, 2019, 9:16 am

my5cents wrote:In our community, (Summerland) just before and after the fibre optic service was completed, we were inundated with "BC Tel" sales reps. I have BC Tel in quotes because none of them were actually BC Tel employees, they were all employed by out of town soliciting companies. Each complete with "BC Tel" jackets, lanyards and iPads.

I got stories like with the new fibre optic service I could record as many as ten (10) programs at once (Lie). The packages I was told I was going to get, when discussed with a real BC Tel rep were wrong. One neighbor went so far as to schedule an install. When he checked with BC Tel, the date arranged was completely impossible, the equipment was wrong, he just cancelled.

Be very careful of what you are told at the door. In my experience, they will say anything to get your order.

Independent contractors, very common for any of the big Tel Co's to use them, from the main infrastructure installations out on the roads to the end point in your home and everything in-between including sales. And yes, sales people have been known to "stretch" the truth (okay, lie) ... CBC did a Marketplace segment on it a while ago: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hidden ... -1.4556536
RVThereYet
Übergod

Liked in: 849 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 23rd, 2019, 9:52 am

You won't have a choice in a couple of years. Telus doesn't want to support/maintain 2 different types of infrastructure. As soon as they put fiber in your neighborhood, they'll start switching everyone over so they can abandon the copper. After a while, they'll simply "pull the plug" if not everyone has moved as it becomes more expensive to keep the copper than it does to keep the customer.

If you want to stay with Telus internet, I suggest you switch now while Telus is footing the bill. At some point they'll stop paying and the re-wiring costs will be your burden.

Your other option is to switch to shaw internet as you probably have Coax in the building for cable TV.

Speed doesn't automatically improve. They may offer you a better speed/plan for the same price. You can get much higher speeds with fiber (If you pay for the higher speed/service) but the average household doesn't need it. Many are disappointed to find that they see no actual difference in performance despite the fact that their internet is "twice as fast". Your internet speed/experience depends on much more than just the speed of your connection. Having a faster connection doesn't improve your WiFi speed, it doesn't improve the response time of the servers on the other end, etc.

As I always say - anything above 50 megabits/second is wasted in the average household. 100Mbs is plenty for a "heavy use" household. You won't see a noticeable increase by going to something faster.

mexi cali likes this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:02 am

TylerM4 wrote:You won't have a choice in a couple of years. Telus doesn't want to support/maintain 2 different types of infrastructure. As soon as they put fiber in your neighborhood, they'll start switching everyone over so they can abandon the copper. After a while, they'll simply "pull the plug" if not everyone has moved as it becomes more expensive to keep the copper than it does to keep the customer.

If you want to stay with Telus internet, I suggest you switch now while Telus is footing the bill. At some point they'll stop paying and the re-wiring costs will be your burden.

Your other option is to switch to shaw internet as you probably have Coax in the building for cable TV.

Speed doesn't automatically improve. They may offer you a better speed/plan for the same price. You can get much higher speeds with fiber (If you pay for the higher speed/service) but the average household doesn't need it. Many are disappointed to find that they see no actual difference in performance despite the fact that their internet is "twice as fast". Your internet speed/experience depends on much more than just the speed of your connection. Having a faster connection doesn't improve your WiFi speed, it doesn't improve the response time of the servers on the other end, etc.

As I always say - anything above 50 megabits/second is wasted in the average household. 100Mbs is plenty for a "heavy use" household. You won't see a noticeable increase by going to something faster.

I don't know which municipality you are talking about, but in Summerland, Telus approached me and put fibre optic to my house. I don't have Telus service.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2722 posts

Postby dle » Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:07 am

TylerM4 wrote:You won't have a choice in a couple of years. Telus doesn't want to support/maintain 2 different types of infrastructure. As soon as they put fiber in your neighborhood, they'll start switching everyone over so they can abandon the copper. After a while, they'll simply "pull the plug" if not everyone has moved as it becomes more expensive to keep the copper than it does to keep the customer.

Sounds like you have strong knowledge on this subject. In a condo situation there always seem to be times of the day when the internet is "slower". Do you know if having the fibre optics will help diminish those slower times once it is brought to the buildings even if you don't subscribe for the service straight away?
dle
Lord of the Board

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:29 am

my5cents wrote:
I don't know which municipality you are talking about, but in Summerland, Telus approached me and put fibre optic to my house. I don't have Telus service.

You don't have a landline telephone? Telus switches those over to fiber as well. Even if you don't have one, it's not a bad idea to put the wiring/equipment in place so that you can get one fairly easily if you ever change your mind.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:42 am

dle wrote:Sounds like you have strong knowledge on this subject. In a condo situation there always seem to be times of the day when the internet is "slower". Do you know if having the fibre optics will help diminish those slower times once it is brought to the buildings even if you don't subscribe for the service straight away?

Not really something I can answer sorry. I'd need to know much more about the install, make a bunch of measurements, etc. At the end of the day there is shared infrastructure which could mean that at some point there is a bandwidth bottleneck. That bottleneck could be at the branch office rather than at the building. It could also be at the the other end in the website/service you are using.

In a condo you can also run into wireless interference due to all of the wifi devices in close proximity. If you use WiFi try switching to a wired connection to see if you notice any difference.

A decent internet speed testing service could help you discover some of this. My favorite is speetest.net https://www.speedtest.net/ Run the test at random times of the day and see what you find. Ideally, it doesn't change much. If you are seeing big changes, especially if it's dipping much lower than the speed telus advertises( 1/2 or less) then use it to give telus a hard time and to get them out there. Just be aware that you almost never get what you're paying for. If you're paying for a 100mbs service, I would expect it to actually perform/measure somewhere around 80mbs at best.

If you are seeing a bottleneck during your peak usage times, consider switching to a slower service at a reduced rate. IF you're paying for 100mbs and only getting 30mbs at your peak times. Switching to 50Mbs would still result in 30mbs speed at your peak times, but at least then you're only paying for 50.

I did something similar about 5 years ago. Was paying telus for a 50MBs rate, but never actually measured anything about 20mbs. Switched to the 30MBs plan, paid less, and still saw the same speeds.

RVThereYet likes this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Jlabute » Jun 23rd, 2019, 11:12 am

In the end, fibre has more bandwidth than coax and offers more future-proof speeds and security. Not that many care so much at the moment, but maybe in the future it will be Shaw trying to keep pace and invest in better technology.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Next

Return to Computers, Science, Technology