Fibre optic service. worth it?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby my5cents » Jun 23rd, 2019, 11:25 am

TylerM4 wrote:You don't have a landline telephone? Telus switches those over to fiber as well. Even if you don't have one, it's not a bad idea to put the wiring/equipment in place so that you can get one fairly easily if you ever change your mind.

Actually, no, I don't. I did, but even then it was a Shaw phone. My wife and I both have cell phones and they are Blue Tooth linked to cordless phones in our home.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2721 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:29 pm

Jlabute wrote:In the end, fibre has more bandwidth than coax and offers more future-proof speeds and security. Not that many care so much at the moment, but maybe in the future it will be Shaw trying to keep pace and invest in better technology.

Yup, and then, when Shaw gets caught up and surpasses Telus, Telus will upgrade their infrastructure again to the "next best technology" (whatever that's going to be) and take the lead until Shaw catches up again ... and so it will continue until the end of time...

mexi cali likes this post.
RVThereYet
Übergod

Liked in: 849 posts

Postby dle » Jun 23rd, 2019, 1:07 pm

TylerM4 wrote:
dle wrote:Sounds like you have strong knowledge on this subject. In a condo situation there always seem to be times of the day when the internet is "slower". Do you know if having the fibre optics will help diminish those slower times once it is brought to the buildings even if you don't subscribe for the service straight away?

Not really something I can answer sorry. I'd need to know much more about the install, make a bunch of measurements, etc. At the end of the day there is shared infrastructure which could mean that at some point there is a bandwidth bottleneck. That bottleneck could be at the branch office rather than at the building. It could also be at the the other end in the website/service you are using.

In a condo you can also run into wireless interference due to all of the wifi devices in close proximity. If you use WiFi try switching to a wired connection to see if you notice any difference.

A decent internet speed testing service could help you discover some of this. My favorite is speetest.net https://www.speedtest.net/ Run the test at random times of the day and see what you find. Ideally, it doesn't change much. If you are seeing big changes, especially if it's dipping much lower than the speed telus advertises( 1/2 or less) then use it to give telus a hard time and to get them out there. Just be aware that you almost never get what you're paying for. If you're paying for a 100mbs service, I would expect it to actually perform/measure somewhere around 80mbs at best.

If you are seeing a bottleneck during your peak usage times, consider switching to a slower service at a reduced rate. IF you're paying for 100mbs and only getting 30mbs at your peak times. Switching to 50Mbs would still result in 30mbs speed at your peak times, but at least then you're only paying for 50.

I did something similar about 5 years ago. Was paying telus for a 50MBs rate, but never actually measured anything about 20mbs. Switched to the 30MBs plan, paid less, and still saw the same speeds.

Thanks! Good info....
dle
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3891 posts

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Dec 11th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Hi All:
I know this is an old thread, but I just found out tonight from a Telus guy doing the install across the street that I can have fiber next week if I want it. It has not been available in my little village until today.

Before I pull the plug on Shaw I am looking for some up to date opinions on switching to Telus fiber from Shaw Cable.
Your thoughts on speeds - quality and costs will be appreciated.
Thanks - NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby bb49 » Dec 11th, 2019, 8:09 pm

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi All:
I know this is an old thread, but I just found out tonight from a Telus guy doing the install across the street that I can have fiber next week if I want it. It has not been available in my little village until today.

Before I pull the plug on Shaw I am looking for some up to date opinions on switching to Telus fiber from Shaw Cable.
Your thoughts on speeds - quality and costs will be appreciated.
Thanks - NNA

We've been with Telus for a number of years and have really no serious complaints, other than the cost of doing business with them.
They put Fibre Optics into our house a couple of years ago, switched us over from their satellite tv. Of course it's better than satellite, and we really like the pvr. We have three of them. There are tons of stations to choose from and plenty of theme packs. Right now we have Hollywood Suite free for three months. When that's up I'll call them and complain about loosing it and that my my monthly bill is waaaay too high. Often they will react to complaints like that in a positive way.

Here's their current offer:
https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bund ... ero_banner

Our monthly bill is hitting $180, of which about $20 is taxes. Yeah it's costly but the only other competition is Shaw. :swear:

Right now we have the following,
Land line $2.00 per month
Internet 150 is $70
3 PVRs free
8 theme packs and movie combos $95

Expensive but Telus is the better of the two.
Pierre: Just Watch Me.
Justin: Me Just Watch.

NotNorthAnymore likes this post.
bb49
Übergod

Liked in: 2324 posts

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Dec 11th, 2019, 9:08 pm

Hi BB - Thanks for the feedback - I appreciate it.
Hopefully more will chime in so that I can make an informed decision.
NNA
bb49 wrote:We've been with Telus for a number of years and have really no serious complaints, other than the cost of doing business with them.
They put Fibre Optics into our house a couple of years ago, switched us over from their satellite tv. Of course it's better than satellite, and we really like the pvr. We have three of them. There are tons of stations to choose from and plenty of theme packs. Right now we have Hollywood Suite free for three months. When that's up I'll call them and complain about loosing it and that my my monthly bill is waaaay too high. Often they will react to complaints like that in a positive way.

Here's their current offer:
https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bund ... ero_banner

Our monthly bill is hitting $180, of which about $20 is taxes. Yeah it's costly but the only other competition is Shaw. :swear:

Internet 150 is $70
3 PVRs free

"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby kelownman » Dec 11th, 2019, 10:08 pm

kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby DarkMagna » Dec 12th, 2019, 12:40 pm

I like to use the old standby analogy.

Think of your Internet connection as a garden hose.
You are the computer at the receiving end, 'drinking' from the hose.

How fast the water travels through the hose is akin to your speed. How much water the hose is capable of flowing, is your bandwidth. Said another way, bandwidth is the maximum amount of water you can flow through the hose. Speed, is the actual amount currently flowing through the hose.

So I open the tap on the house partway and water starts flowing through the hose. You're drinking from the hose so I open it only enough for you to comfortably drink from. We're flowing only a portion of how much water we're capable of flowing.
As long as that amount is enough for you to drink from, it's all good....it's all you need. Your speed is good and you're nowhere near your bandwidth.

In other words, the speed is enough for you to drink comfortably from.....stream a movie or drink from the hose...same thing.

However, if I turn the tap full open, you're not going to be able to drink that fast. You're spilling and wasting the excess water. That's more bandwidth than you need. Don't pay for extra bandwidth (water), if a reduced flow works.
Now, if you have kids that also want to drink from the hose (stream a game), you may not be able to 'flow' enough volume of water to both stream a game and in another room, stream a movie at the same time. That's when you need more bandwidth.

Like others have said, don't pay for more than you need to comfortable drink.

I hope I said all of that well enough....it was stream of consciousness typing :)

2 people like this post.
DarkMagna

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby dle » Dec 12th, 2019, 2:31 pm

DarkMagna wrote:I like to use the old standby analogy.

Think of your Internet connection as a garden hose.
You are the computer at the receiving end, 'drinking' from the hose.

How fast the water travels through the hose is akin to your speed. How much water the hose is capable of flowing, is your bandwidth. Said another way, bandwidth is the maximum amount of water you can flow through the hose. Speed, is the actual amount currently flowing through the hose.

So I open the tap on the house partway and water starts flowing through the hose. You're drinking from the hose so I open it only enough for you to comfortably drink from. We're flowing only a portion of how much water we're capable of flowing.
As long as that amount is enough for you to drink from, it's all good....it's all you need. Your speed is good and you're nowhere near your bandwidth.

In other words, the speed is enough for you to drink comfortably from.....stream a movie or drink from the hose...same thing.

However, if I turn the tap full open, you're not going to be able to drink that fast. You're spilling and wasting the excess water. That's more bandwidth than you need. Don't pay for extra bandwidth (water), if a reduced flow works.
Now, if you have kids that also want to drink from the hose (stream a game), you may not be able to 'flow' enough volume of water to both stream a game and in another room, stream a movie at the same time. That's when you need more bandwidth.

Like others have said, don't pay for more than you need to comfortable drink.

I hope I said all of that well enough....it was stream of consciousness typing :)

....your creative explanation works for me! :D
dle
Lord of the Board

Postby Nooby » Dec 14th, 2019, 1:31 pm

bb49 wrote:

Internet 150 is $70
3 PVRs free

Hmmm - your landline is only $2.00/month? Ours is $22.00 (and we were paying way more than that up until a couple of years ago when a Telus rep came around and told us we were paying too much)
Nooby
Board Meister

Liked in: 336 posts

Postby bb49 » Dec 14th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Nooby wrote:
bb49 wrote:

Internet 150 is $70
3 PVRs free

Hmmm - your landline is only $2.00/month? Ours is $22.00 (and we were paying way more than that up until a couple of years ago when a Telus rep came around and told us we were paying too much)

Yup, $2.00 plus taxes and any LD.
It used to be free and now it's $2. Time to complain.

I do recall them saying that since I had been a loyal and longtime customer they would provide the landline for free.

Telus is losing landline customers so in order to keep them, they are probably offering them for free, or at least a low price.
Pierre: Just Watch Me.
Justin: Me Just Watch.
bb49
Übergod

Liked in: 2324 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 14th, 2019, 5:19 pm

bb49 wrote:
I do recall them saying that since I had been a loyal and longtime customer they would provide the landline for free.

Telus is losing landline customers so in order to keep them, they are probably offering them for free, or at least a low price.

Ours is the same as they do give a discount to seniors.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby Nooby » Dec 14th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Bsuds wrote:
bb49 wrote:

Ours is the same as they do give a discount to seniors.

Good to know - thank you both for the info. I will be calling their loyalty department (or whatever it's called). We have been Telus customers forever and have all our services through them. For the most part we get good customer service when we have issues but the costs are getting ridiculous. Just noticed when I logged into my account that internet is going up $5.00 next month too :-X

dle likes this post.
Nooby
Board Meister

Liked in: 336 posts

Postby dle » Dec 16th, 2019, 7:00 am

Telus giveth and Telus taketh away.....

The landline thing is a mystery - if you talk to 5 people it's not uncommon to hear 5 different amounts being charged. If you call loyalty you will more than likely get some kind of discount. My question is why should you have to call loyalty and ask for it? Haven't you proved your loyalty by the fact you've been with them since the earth was cooling? Computers are pretty nifty things - you can gather all sorts of good info and generate reports. Just a suggestion - maybe they could ask it for all 10 year and longer customers and automatically give them their landline free if they still have one....

When we signed up for FibreOptics we told them we wanted to discontinue the land line to save $$ but they convinced us to keep it for emergencies. As Rogers cell service had just been down for quite a long time we figured it could happen to Telus in areas so we kept it for the $2 while we think about it some more. Then we saw the notice they are upping the internet to $5.....

BTW, after switching over to FibreOptics has anyone actually been able to decipher their monthly bill? We have had changes every month and are thinking of hiring a forensic accounting team.....
dle
Lord of the Board

Postby Jlabute » Dec 16th, 2019, 8:54 am

RVThereYet wrote:
Jlabute wrote:In the end, fibre has more bandwidth than coax and offers more future-proof speeds and security. Not that many care so much at the moment, but maybe in the future it will be Shaw trying to keep pace and invest in better technology.

Yup, and then, when Shaw gets caught up and surpasses Telus, Telus will upgrade their infrastructure again to the "next best technology" (whatever that's going to be) and take the lead until Shaw catches up again ... and so it will continue until the end of time...

Quite correct. It hasn't been invented yet. Shaw will have to either install fiber everywhere... and you know how long it took Telus to do that, and even then, it would only put them on an equal footing.

The next greatest technology could be 6G which might be around in 15 years or more. I've seen white papers describing 6G to offer up to a 1Tbps personal data-rate for 1000 times more devices than 5G allowing the whole world to become an augmented reality. This could obsolete the need for any cable going in to any home ever... except power :-) Right now though, fiber has the best potential.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology