Fibre optic service. worth it?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby mexi cali » Dec 16th, 2019, 9:38 am

Nooby wrote:
bb49 wrote:

Right now we have the following,
Land line $2.00 per month
Internet 150 is $70
3 PVRs free
8 theme packs and movie combos $95

Expensive but Telus is the better of the two.

Hmmm - your landline is only $2.00/month? Ours is $22.00 (and we were paying way more than that up until a couple of years ago when a Telus rep came around and told us we were paying too much)

They have steadily been dropping the LL cost for a while now but if you don't ask, they won't tell. You are in a good place to contact them and complain. They will likely give you a healthy credit and reduce the price.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Nooby likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 6411 posts

Postby mexi cali » Dec 16th, 2019, 9:44 am

Being as how Telus is likely going to be getting contacted by some unhappy campers because of the disclosures of some who apparently are getting better deals than others, when you contact them, consider suing the chat option. There are no language barriers and it takes usually way less time to connect with them than via phone.

Plus you have a savable transcript of the conversation for when they jack prices up after six months when they promised a year or two.

I use it all the time, mostly to do away with the frustration of not being able to understand the dialogue as clearly as I would like. It also allows me to do other things at the same time during the lulls in the conversation.

dle likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Dec 16th, 2019, 1:13 pm

mexi cali wrote:Being as how Telus is likely going to be getting contacted by some unhappy campers because of the disclosures of some who apparently are getting better deals than others, when you contact them, consider suing the chat option. There are no language barriers and it takes usually way less time to connect with them than via phone.

Plus you have a savable transcript of the conversation for when they jack prices up after six months when they promised a year or two.

I use it all the time, mostly to do away with the frustration of not being able to understand the dialogue as clearly as I would like. It also allows me to do other things at the same time during the lulls in the conversation.

Have you used it lately? You are not chatting with a live body anymore but a robot.

I used it all the time too but now it is pretty much useless.
How do Dragons blow out candles?

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby Nooby » Dec 16th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Bsuds wrote:
mexi cali wrote:Being as how Telus is likely going to be getting contacted by some unhappy campers because of the disclosures of some who apparently are getting better deals than others, when you contact them, consider suing the chat option. There are no language barriers and it takes usually way less time to connect with them than via phone.

Have you used it lately? You are not chatting with a live body anymore but a robot.

Agreed - I used to use it but lately it doesn't seem to work very well and I can't connect with anybody. Almost always get 'chat agents are not available'.
Nooby
Board Meister

Liked in: 336 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Dec 16th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Nooby wrote:
Agreed - I used to use it but lately it doesn't seem to work very well and I can't connect with anybody. Almost always get 'chat agents are not available'.

I often use the chat and request a call back when I connect with the agent... I hate having to type all that stuff, especially when it comes to loyalty stuff and the back and forth negotiations that can come with that - just make sure you keep the chat live until you connect on the phone with them.

I've pushed Telus to the brink a few times, pretty sure they have a picture of me hanging on their call centre wall saying "if that person calls, give 'em nothing"
RVThereYet
Übergod

Liked in: 849 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Dec 16th, 2019, 6:38 pm

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi All:
I know this is an old thread, but I just found out tonight from a Telus guy doing the install across the street that I can have fiber next week if I want it. It has not been available in my little village until today.

Before I pull the plug on Shaw I am looking for some up to date opinions on switching to Telus fiber from Shaw Cable.
Your thoughts on speeds - quality and costs will be appreciated.
Thanks - NNA

Now that you have competition on your block call Shaw and tell them your seriously thinking about switching to Telus. Ask them what deals they can give you before you switch. If they say nothing ask to be switched to the cancellation department. They will now most likely try keeping you by transferring you to their loyalty department. This is where a "Loyalty Care Agent" will offer you a deal to stay depending on your consecutive years with them. You might not get what Telus offers but you may get a lower bill, free rental deals, free channels, free movies or faster internet. Maybe less hassle than switching providers and having to install and learn new equipment.

Bsuds wrote:Have you used it lately? You are not chatting with a live body anymore but a robot.

No use swearing at them anymore!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Dec 16th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Hi All:
Great comments by many since I made my post. :130:
Still waiting on the Telus guy to come back to see me, but considering that only 1 connection has been done here there is most likely some tuning to do before they offer to hook us up.
I am really considering moving over since the Shaw speeds are a bit lax IMO.
But would appreciate hearing up/down speeds from others for a comparison.
Using Speedtest.net as suggested earlier in the thread.
Server at Shaw Kelowna

Ping 10 ms
Download 17.1 at low end 22.3 at high end
upload 4.21 to 4.29

Merry BahHumBug to one and all.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 380 posts

Postby Bsuds » Dec 17th, 2019, 5:08 am

NotNorthAnymore wrote:But would appreciate hearing up/down speeds from others for a comparison.
Server at Shaw Kelowna

Ping 10 ms
upload 4.21 to 4.29

I am refurbishing my daughters laptop and did a speedtest this morning.

Fast.com averaged out at 360mbps. I pay for 300mbps. $70 per month
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby mexi cali » Dec 17th, 2019, 8:59 am

Bsuds wrote:

You just need to know the workaround. By answering no to the "did I answer your question" 2 or 3 times, you will be connected with a customer service person.
mexi cali
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Dec 17th, 2019, 10:06 am

mexi cali wrote:
You just need to know the workaround. By answering no to the "did I answer your question" 2 or 3 times, you will be connected with a customer service person.

I have done that and basically got hung up on. It just told me to phone tech support or billing. So I don't bother with it anymore.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby DANSPEED » Dec 17th, 2019, 4:27 pm

NotNorthAnymore wrote:... But would appreciate hearing up/down speeds from others for a comparison.
Server at Shaw Kelowna

Ping 10 ms
upload 4.21 to 4.29

I'm not on Telus fibre internet so please don't quote me on this, maybe others here can confirm it, but friends told me if your not downloading your upload speed equals your download speed ... with only 0.85 max upload speed that sounds like a dream to me!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby Bsuds » Dec 17th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Up or Down is the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby DANSPEED » Dec 17th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Bsuds wrote:Up or Down is the same.

Even at peak times according to Telus. I assume Shaw offers something similar.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby madadam » Dec 18th, 2019, 8:44 am

NotNorthAnymore wrote:But would appreciate hearing up/down speeds from others for a comparison.
Server at Shaw Kelowna

Ping 10 ms
upload 4.21 to 4.29

Out in Lake Country,

Telus Internet 300/300

Ping 15 ms - Shaw server Kelowna
Download 327.21 Mbps
Upload 313.38 Mbps

TylerM4 likes this post.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 202 posts

Postby pmaria » Dec 18th, 2019, 10:37 am

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi All:
Great comments by many since I made my post. :130:
Still waiting on the Telus guy to come back to see me, but considering that only 1 connection has been done here there is most likely some tuning to do before they offer to hook us up.
I am really considering moving over since the Shaw speeds are a bit lax IMO.
But would appreciate hearing up/down speeds from others for a comparison.
Server at Shaw Kelowna

Ping 10 ms
upload 4.21 to 4.29

A few months ago I switched to PureFibre from Shaw once I learned that I was being way overcharged for my legacy Internet 25 and TV Essentails. I asked Shaw for a better deal, and they offered me Shaw 75 for $10 more, making it $105 a month for internet and still charging me $80 for basic TV and one package. I said no. I contacted Telus and they offered me a deal with PureFiber 150 for $55 and Optik with 4 theme packs for $60, with a $200 bill credit. I told Shaw this is what Telus offered me, and they said "sorry, we can't match that". Done deal.

I booked the Telus install after a very pleasant conversation with the rep, and he said he'd take care of the cancellation with Shaw for me. Two days before the install, I get a call from Shaw saying that they would be willing to offer me an improved package with internet 300 and the same TV but for $170, $25 less than I was already paying. I was mostly interested in saving money, and said no, Telus if offering me $115. He basically threatned by saying "$170 for internet 300 is the best I will get, I wont be satisfied with Telus, and if I dont take the deal now, I'll never get it again." Told him no thanks, and he basically hung up on me.

The Telus install went well, the tech was excellent and even went so far as to install RJ-45 jacks in all the rooms I needed (my house was already wired with Cat 5, just not terminated), and gave me an ethernet switch for my TV room so I could plug in the TV, Optik box and PS4. The day I took the Shaw modem back to the Shaw office, they made me call in to the retention deptartment again, and they went and offered me Internet 300 again but extra TV packages and dropped the price to $130. I said no again.

The experience with Telus so far has been excellent, the service is stable, 4K streaming is hassle free. The Prime / Netflix / Disney+ apps on my smart TV never buffer, or stutter and are always crystal clear, unlike my neighbor with Shaw and the same model of TV, he gets constant stutters, and Prime and Disney+ take 10 - 15 seconds to start playing. Internet browsing just feels smooth, things download fast, latency is very low. With the PureFibre 150 I get 170 - 175 up and down consistently.
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 69 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology