Fibre optic service. worth it?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Nooby » Dec 21st, 2019, 9:36 am

Thanks again to those who provided tips about discounts and such.

Just got off the phone with Telus. It was somewhat painful :biggrin: after talking to 2 different agents, but we finally got to a resolution and are now paying $80/month less overall. Merry Christmas! :130:

2 people like this post.
Nooby
Board Meister
 
Posts: 466
Likes: 370 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Even Steven » Dec 21st, 2019, 10:28 am

Nooby wrote:Thanks again to those who provided tips about discounts and such.

Just got off the phone with Telus. It was somewhat painful :biggrin: after talking to 2 different agents, but we finally got to a resolution and are now paying $80/month less overall. Merry Christmas! :130:


Well, that's great and all, but where's our cut???

[icon_lol2.gif]

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4859
Likes: 404 posts
Liked in: 4194 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Nooby » Dec 21st, 2019, 10:57 am

Even Steven wrote:
Nooby wrote:Thanks again to those who provided tips about discounts and such.

Just got off the phone with Telus. It was somewhat painful :biggrin: after talking to 2 different agents, but we finally got to a resolution and are now paying $80/month less overall. Merry Christmas! :130:


Well, that's great and all, but where's our cut???

[icon_lol2.gif]


Let's wait until we actually get our next bill and I'll see what I can do [icon_lol2.gif]. BTW - 2nd agent was a very nice lady in Guatemala. Chatted her up for awhile about the weather, family, etc. - let's just say that being friendly instead of confrontational probably helps. It's easy to get frustrated when you get passed around to different people and have to explain things over and over, especially when it's hard to understand them - but we're happy, it all worked out.

2 people like this post.
Nooby
Board Meister
 
Posts: 466
Likes: 370 posts
Liked in: 336 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Lady tehMa » Jan 5th, 2020, 10:30 am

It can be a challenge trying to deal with loyalty retention departments, but very much worth it if you can keep your cool.

My husband - when it is time to renew - will spend time collecting screenshots of deals from Shaw & Telus. Or hardcopy.

We had contractors come around about 2 weeks before we were due, trying to get us to sign up for the security. My husband spent 90 minutes talking to them, had them calling in to headquarters. We have a landline, internet, and now security. We are now paying less per month than we were before, for just the 2. He has had to call in twice to make sure our online bill reflected the new billing structure, but now it does. :)
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18949
Likes: 22703 posts
Liked in: 5625 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:51 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby bb49 » Jan 5th, 2020, 8:41 pm

Telus has another offer. Not sure just how good it is but might be worth trying.

Save up to $1,080 when you sign up for Optik TV & unlimited home internet.
Plus, get a $300 bill credit when you order online today.

https://www.telus.com/en/deals-and-bund ... ero_banner
Pierre: Just Watch Me.
Justin: Me Just Watch.
User avatar
bb49
Übergod
 
Posts: 1960
Likes: 3410 posts
Liked in: 2324 posts
Joined: Jul 16th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 5th, 2020, 11:38 pm

Telus should get their act together and provide the service they promised to existing clients.

Optic has been a nightmare for the last week with the service going out repeatedly for hours at a time, and naturally always around the time one wants to sit down and watch TV. :swear:

One thing I definitely liked better with Shaw was even if they had some sort of trouble with cable to where you couldn't watch TV, at least the internet still worked. With Optic if it goes out you lose everything.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 6906
Likes: 7438 posts
Liked in: 9509 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Bsuds » Jan 6th, 2020, 6:53 am

Must be just certain areas or your equipment. It's been fine here.
How do Dragons blow out candles?

bb49 likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 47421
Likes: 13591 posts
Liked in: 17268 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 6th, 2020, 8:17 am

Bsuds wrote:Must be just certain areas or your equipment. It's been fine here.


Not the equipment as everything comes back on itself once service is restored. I've wasted enough time rebooting everything plus it would be a tad odd for things to be fine during the day, then around 7-8pm the nonsense starts and it's been that way for a week.

Looked online and there's many disgruntled customers out there, and getting the run around from tech support.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 6906
Likes: 7438 posts
Liked in: 9509 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Bsuds » Jan 6th, 2020, 8:47 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:Looked online and there's many disgruntled customers out there, and getting the run around from tech support.


Tech support is a joke, I know more about the equipment than they do!

Last time on the phone with them about the router dropping out they tried to tell me it wasn't the equipment as it showed good on their tests.

I had to threaten to throw it out on the street if they didn't send a tech. He replaced the router and I have had no trouble since.

It's probably the 3rd or 4th router in 18 months. They have really cheap, crappy equipment IMO.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 47421
Likes: 13591 posts
Liked in: 17268 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 6th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Totally agree with you there. :up:

I still recall the days when the service providers did NOT like us using routers, and any time I'd call regarding lost internet, the first question they'd ask was if you were using a router, and if you said yes as far as they were concerned that was the problem.

It wasn't until I threatened to cancel my service, that they dug a little deeper, only to find that someone had unplugged a wire a their end. I bet they miss having routers be the scapegoat.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
 
Posts: 6906
Likes: 7438 posts
Liked in: 9509 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Jan 10th, 2020, 4:24 pm

So after much back and forth I am now hooked up to Telus Optik TV and Internet by fiber.

Since I am the first in town to get the TV and only about the 4th to get internet, I am not going to cancel the Shaw service till next week. Equipment is sitting on the bench and we will see how it goes.

At this point the phones are staying on Shaw as I have a contract that runs till later in the year.
Economics of changing over at this point are not worth it.

All pricing below before is before taxes:
Shaw $142 a month for TV with basic and 6 packages.
Shaw internet (20 & 4 mb) $61
Total average $203 a month.

Telus $160 a month - 2 year contract.
Optik TV with 11 theme packs - Netflix and HBO/crave
Internet 300 up and down.

Install was painless and the 2 local techs that live here did it all.
Couple of firmware updates today, but we are happy enough for now.
Will see how it all goes over the next 24 months.
IMO - For the just over $1000 savings, even if it is not up to all the hype I think we came out way ahead. :130:
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 752
Likes: 185 posts
Liked in: 380 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Location: North Okanagan, BC

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby DANSPEED » Jan 10th, 2020, 5:29 pm

NotNorthAnymore wrote:So after much back and forth I am now hooked up to Telus Optik TV and Internet by fiber.

Since I am the first in town to get the TV and only about the 4th to get internet, I am not going to cancel the Shaw service till next week. Equipment is sitting on the bench and we will see how it goes.

At this point the phones are staying on Shaw as I have a contract that runs till later in the year.
Economics of changing over at this point are not worth it.

All pricing below before is before taxes:
Shaw $142 a month for TV with basic and 6 packages.
Shaw internet (20 & 4 mb) $61
Total average $203 a month.

Telus $160 a month - 2 year contract.
Optik TV with 11 theme packs - Netflix and HBO/crave
Internet 300 up and down.

Install was painless and the 2 local techs that live here did it all.
Couple of firmware updates today, but we are happy enough for now.
Will see how it all goes over the next 24 months.
IMO - For the just over $1000 savings, even if it is not up to all the hype I think we came out way ahead. :130:

Having both for comparison, which set-top-box, remote, guide, guide info, changing channel speed, pause live TV etc. do you like better?

For the past six months now Shaw's guide is so slow loading. Recently they did something with the firmware, removed the hourglass thingy and replaced it with a "Loading guide..." window. Made no difference. Toggle power and it's good for a few days. Tech support said it's probably a weak signal on my end. Strange because the same tech support told me my signal strength is excellent, which it is. ... it's always something on my end!
DANSPEED
Übergod
 
Posts: 1267
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 54 posts
Joined: Jan 6th, 2007, 3:35 pm
Location: Ratland

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Jan 10th, 2020, 7:44 pm

DANSPEED wrote:Having both for comparison, which set-top-box, remote, guide, guide info, changing channel speed, pause live TV etc. do you like better?

For the past six months now Shaw's guide is so slow loading. Recently they did something with the firmware, removed the hourglass thingy and replaced it with a "Loading guide..." window. Made no difference. Toggle power and it's good for a few days. Tech support said it's probably a weak signal on my end. Strange because the same tech support told me my signal strength is excellent, which it is. ... it's always something on my end!


It is just over 24 hours since powered up, but guide seems very responsive to me compared to Shaw.
There is a huge number of channels to pick from, so I will let you know more next week.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

TylerM4 likes this post.
User avatar
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 752
Likes: 185 posts
Liked in: 380 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Location: North Okanagan, BC

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Jan 26th, 2020, 9:13 am

So it is just over 2 weeks since we got service installed.
After a few hardware issues with one of the TV boxes the signals are fine.
Can whip thru the channels as fast as I want and no problems.
Both TV's are very clear and no problems that we have noticed.

On the PC's network - I had to reconfigure since the Shaw network access was recognized as Network3 - When we hooked up Telus it showed up as a Network4.
Since I have everything in the house set to a work network I had to reconfigure since windows defaults to Home Network settings on any new network.
A minor thing once I got it figured out.

Biggest problem was getting the billing fixed up so that the bills matched the offers that they made.
11 theme packs + Netflix and Showcase - 300 up/down no limit on data - no phones - final offer was $160 a month.
1st bill showed up at $289.
4 phone calls later 1st month for $120 and balance of the contract at $160 a month.
(All prices before taxes, of course)

Whether you are going Shaw to Telus or Telus to Shaw - document the offers and make sure that they email them to you.
At some point you will probably need that documentation to get what you are offered.

Hardware and service so far I am happy - will see how it pans out over the next 48 months.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Bsuds likes this post.
User avatar
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 752
Likes: 185 posts
Liked in: 380 posts
Joined: Apr 19th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Location: North Okanagan, BC

Re: Fibre optic service. worth it?

Postby Even Steven » Oct 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm

I've had Shaw for 15 years, and the last 2 years had a pretty sweet loyalty discount with them. The discount is set to expire this month. I called them, and they said they no longer discount their service and people pay the full price. Started around COVID time, apparently.

Dang. I think I'll have to switch.

2 people like this post.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4859
Likes: 404 posts
Liked in: 4194 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 6:20 pm

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests