Climate change.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
seewood
Guru

Re: Climate change.

Post by seewood »

Call it what you may but earth is not happy with us.
Fires here and in Europe. SoCal getting floods and throw in an earthquake to make it interesting, heat dome? in Europe, floods, droughts. Polar bears on shore a month earlier than the norm..

What's up next ??
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 21st, 2023, 7:14 pm Call it what you may but earth is not happy with us.
Fires here and in Europe. SoCal getting floods and throw in an earthquake to make it interesting, heat dome? in Europe, floods, droughts. Polar bears on shore a month earlier than the norm..

What's up next ??
I expect more attempts to delay any action such as making plans for climate resiliant stratigies. Which is happening right here on this forum.

viewtopic.php?t=93910
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 9:27 am I expect more attempts to delay any action such as making plans for climate resiliant stratigies. Which is happening right here on this forum.
We can make strategies for our personal well being, however For Canada to make a dent on any National strategy is rather futile in my opinion. The carbon tax is now a tax the government will never get rid of as it is another revenue stream.
If the eco zealots want to make a protest, go to Tiananmen square and put up their signs there. And stop purchasing solar panels made in factories that use coal powered electricity.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 9:32 am
Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 9:27 am I expect more attempts to delay any action such as making plans for climate resiliant stratigies. Which is happening right here on this forum.
We can make strategies for our personal well being, however For Canada to make a dent on any National strategy is rather futile in my opinion. The carbon tax is now a tax the government will never get rid of as it is another revenue stream.
If the eco zealots want to make a protest, go to Tiananmen square and put up their signs there. And stop purchasing solar panels made in factories that use coal powered electricity.
So don't go local?

"Climate Resilient Kelowna Strategy"

https://getinvolved.kelowna.ca/climatestrategy

Which is being fought over right over here.

viewtopic.php?t=93910
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:04 am So don't go local?
I suppose that will give some the warm and fuzzies, however to make a dent in the release of CO2 from man made sources go to the big sources. Chinese and Indian coal fired electrical generating stations. And to some extent, US and Africa.
Jurisdictions in the Okanagan if they haven't done so, could put residents on water meters. This may make a difference in water consumption if charged accordingly. Will that affect climate change? Nope, but may deal with drought conditions better than statements.
Pushing and subsidizing electric cars is something I'm not in favor of. I'd like to see how governments are going to "fuel " all these electrical cars and how are governments going to make up the lost revenue from gas taxes.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:24 am
Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:04 am So don't go local?
I suppose that will give some the warm and fuzzies, however to make a dent in the release of CO2 from man made sources go to the big sources. Chinese and Indian coal fired electrical generating stations. And to some extent, US and Africa.
Jurisdictions in the Okanagan if they haven't done so, could put residents on water meters. This may make a difference in water consumption if charged accordingly. Will that affect climate change? Nope, but may deal with drought conditions better than statements.
Pushing and subsidizing electric cars is something I'm not in favor of. I'd like to see how governments are going to "fuel " all these electrical cars and how are governments going to make up the lost revenue from gas taxes.
Yet, "Canada's wildfire emissions skyrocket as fires spread."

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/23/canada ... -emissions
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:32 am Yet, "Canada's wildfire emissions skyrocket as fires spread."
Yep, suppose the forest companies should have logged the lot and made carbon storage units... ( 2 X 4's ) instead of letting it stand and burn down.
But there is big business trying to stop the logging, so burning is it I guess.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 2:37 pm
Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 10:32 am Yet, "Canada's wildfire emissions skyrocket as fires spread."
Yep, suppose the forest companies should have logged the lot and made carbon storage units... ( 2 X 4's ) instead of letting it stand and burn down.
But there is big business trying to stop the logging, so burning is it I guess.
Which big business? Or just big business in general?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 2:45 pm Which big business?
Sierra group, west coast rainforest alliance, Greenpiece, Ancient Forest alliance, Conservation North,
C. ap, too many to list : https://www.evergreenalliance.ca/forest ... nizations/

Appears when they run short of money to pay the principles, the full time employees get their minions to perform some stupid news worthy stunt and donations flow in. It's a business run on donations.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 2:57 pm
Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 2:45 pm Which big business?
Sierra group, west coast rainforest alliance, Greenpiece, Ancient Forest alliance, Conservation North,
C. ap, too many to list : https://www.evergreenalliance.ca/forest ... nizations/

Appears when they run short of money to pay the principles, the full time employees get their minions to perform some stupid news worthy stunt and donations flow in. It's a business run on donations.
Well cutting it as lumber for carbon storage seems like a good idea to me, so I guess the industry should've logged all the trees and stored them under water when they could have.

At least that would've kept the sawers and the shippers busy now.

But then I guess they couldn't have anticipated the next coming 'boom'.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Worldwide temperatures would be going up no matter what us humans try to do (it’s happened before called
Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum).

Extreme cold ie ice age… extreme heat… back to extreme cold etc… etc (actual time frame for each is anyone’s best guess)

Take a hard look at planet previous 4.5 billion years.

btw the higher co2 gets the greener the plants on this planet gets.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 3:20 pm Well cutting it as lumber for carbon storage seems like a good idea to me, so I guess the industry should've logged all the trees and stored them under water when they could have.
Well, I don't know about all the trees but forestry is a renewable resource and cutting more than they do is possible on a sustainable basis but every time some agreement comes up between the greenies and forestry, the greenies will start gobbing off eventually about one thing or another so more is taken out of the annual allowable cut. Why do you think several BC based forestry companies now have as much revenue from US operations as they do here.
I know, getting off topic but in many of these fires past and present, when they come up against past cutblocks, fire behavior diminishes.

I believe if you log the trees, BC is better off than letting them burn.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 5:15 pm
Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 3:20 pm Well cutting it as lumber for carbon storage seems like a good idea to me, so I guess the industry should've logged all the trees and stored them under water when they could have.
Well, I don't know about all the trees but forestry is a renewable resource and cutting more than they do is possible on a sustainable basis but every time some agreement comes up between the greenies and forestry, the greenies will start gobbing off eventually about one thing or another so more is taken out of the annual allowable cut. Why do you think several BC based forestry companies now have as much revenue from US operations as they do here.
I know, getting off topic but in many of these fires past and present, when they come up against past cutblocks, fire behavior diminishes.

I believe if you log the trees, BC is better off than letting them burn.

So when have the two ever come to an ageement?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 7:17 pm So when have the two ever come to an ageement?
In the mid coast timber supply area. Some call it the Great Bear Rain Forest.
This preserved close to 80-90% for conservation and a small bit put aside for harvesting. After a few years some greenies were spouting off their nonsense about a permitted cutblock was the last old growth on the coast.

Same on the West coast of the Island. First Nations and the Teal group with input from some green group agreed to some logging plans. It was in the news recently, some greeny a..-hats had blocked a bridge. Local FN's were pizzed.

:topic:
The earth is not happy at the moment. The bottom line is it is going to be more expensive to live. Anywhere.
Spiff
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Spiff »

seewood wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 8:05 pm
Spiff wrote: Aug 23rd, 2023, 7:17 pm So when have the two ever come to an ageement?
In the mid coast timber supply area. Some call it the Great Bear Rain Forest.
This preserved close to 80-90% for conservation and a small bit put aside for harvesting. After a few years some greenies were spouting off their nonsense about a permitted cutblock was the last old growth on the coast.

Same on the West coast of the Island. First Nations and the Teal group with input from some green group agreed to some logging plans. It was in the news recently, some greeny a..-hats had blocked a bridge. Local FN's were pizzed.

The earth is not happy at the moment. The bottom line is it is going to be more expensive to live. Anywhere.
So it looks to me like there never was much agreement.

Yes ,this is so.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”