Decent Backyard Camera

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
jimmy4321
Guru

Decent Backyard Camera

Post by jimmy4321 »

Any recommendations on a cam I can use to keep an eye on the backyard when home or not?
Real time, great pic quality with night view a must, just so many models with those big name ones. Wondering if there's any alternatives?
Junkies using my backyard as a main thoroughfare, figure just a matter of time someone's cooking a good steak on my BBQ.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Decent Backyard Camera

Post by Jlabute »

I'd be curious too. I would think something powered over ethernet might be more reliable and you only have to route one cable to the camera. Something battery operated would work strictly on motion detection. I too have a junkie issue who borrow my water hose and others lean against my neighbors garage to shoot up.
Hopefully something that doesn't require a subscription? Lots of them use the cloud for video storage and therefore you have to pay to store more than 'x' amount.
There is a ton of stuff available. I would lean towards POE devices I think.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I have a few Nest cams and they work really well. I also have POE cameras that are made by Hik vision that record to a DVR that work amazing but a bit more to install and setup. I think for your needs, the NEST would be great.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I know it's subscription based but you can get a security system from Telus at a pretty reasonable price.

I'm happy with mine and the camera works very well.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”