Freedom Mobile?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Freedom Mobile?

Postby Lady tehMa » Jan 5th, 2020, 10:03 am

Husband and I are on Freedom, we're finding it works well for our needs. We don't travel much, we hardly use data and we brought our own phones so all told I believe we're paying about $30 a month for the two of us.
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/plans
They do this digital discount thing for putting it on auto pay and for having more than one person on the plan.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5625 posts

Postby GordonH » Feb 3rd, 2020, 9:08 pm

Took a look at Freedom Mobile celltowers here in the valley, once you leave city areas of Penticton, Kelowna and Vernon there are no towers.
So either they piggyback off someone else's or their is a lot of deadzones.

Here is what I used https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12293 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Bsuds » Feb 4th, 2020, 6:01 am

GordonH wrote:Took a look at Freedom Mobile celltowers here in the valley, once you leave city areas of Penticton, Kelowna and Vernon there are no towers.

Considering they are owned by Shaw it would be a safe bet to say they use those towers.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby prr » Feb 4th, 2020, 10:42 am

MAPearce wrote:
Bsuds wrote:I guess just because a provider is "owned" by one of the big telco's it does not mean they are automatically on the same network.

Ever heard the phrase " you get what you pay for " ?

I think it sums it up perfectly .

For about $50 per month you should be able to get a good amount of minutes, unlimited texting, and some data. Not everyone needs $100/month/device. For comparison, I have a home internet plan (75MBPS, unlimited) that is only $60 per month. My mobile plan (Virgin Mobile which is owned by Bell) is $50 for 500 minutes, 4GB data, unlimited texts, but limited voicemail (4 messages). A voicemail addon is about $5 a month.
prr

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Bsuds » Feb 4th, 2020, 1:39 pm

prr wrote:For about $50 per month you should be able to get a good amount of minutes, unlimited texting, and some data.

Public Mobile gives me unlimited calls and texts with 1gb of data for $25 per month. I have been using them for 3 months now with no issues.

Works for me!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby GordonH » Feb 4th, 2020, 2:45 pm

GordonH wrote:Took a look at Freedom Mobile celltowers here in the valley, once you leave city areas of Penticton, Kelowna and Vernon there are no towers.

Bsuds wrote:Considering they are owned by Shaw it would be a safe bet to say they use those towers.

The towers Freedom have in valley are because of Shaw, under Wind Mobile they had no towers in the valley.
Currently no towers (of Freedom) north of Vernon or south of Penticton.

Added: most towers in the valley is telus.
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby Bsuds » Feb 4th, 2020, 3:38 pm

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

An interesting map here

And apparently most Canadians are on Telus Towers.

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Gu ... verage-map
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby GordonH » Feb 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Bsuds wrote:https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

An interesting map here

And apparently most Canadians are on Telus Towers.

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Gu ... verage-map

Since Bell & Telus have an agreement.
Bell customers use telus towers out west meanwhile telus customers use bell towers out east.
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby featfan » Feb 6th, 2020, 10:59 am

Weird how with loads of tech the Freedom tower height on Pandosy is 344 m
Which is Lake level when it is on top of an elevator shaft on a 6 story building.
featfan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2441 posts

Postby OKkayak » Feb 6th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Who cares if they piggyback? Coverage is coverage regardless who's tower is being used.

From their website:

When you travel outside of our ‘Freedom’ network in Canada, you’ll be connected to a partner’s network. Your phone will display the network name ‘Nationwide’ when in this area and may also indicate that it’s roaming. You’ll have access to the ‘Nationwide’ portion of your plan or pay-per-use rates may apply.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 17721 posts

Postby OKkayak » Oct 27th, 2020, 12:48 am

Now that my contract with my current provider is up, I've been shopping around for a new plan and possibly, a new device. Currently I'm with Virgin, and to be honest, I have no real complaints, at least up until now.

First of all, I called them up to change my plan from what I currently have to something smaller for the month following my last contract month, that way I could just slide into the new plan instead of being billed a ridiculous amount for something I'm no longer obligated to pay. Sounds simple but my oh my, what a fiasco that was to get such a simple request done. Long story short, contract is up and it took about 2 hours and 5 agents on the phone, having to explain my request each and every time to simply set up a new plan for the next billing period.

Now, I've been looking for a new device but wasn't too sure on which phone I wanted. I've been looking at the Pixel 4a and on Virgin's website, they have it listed for $560 if you buy it upfront. But, if I sign up for a 2 year contract, I can save $80 which brings the cost down to $480 over the 24 months. I don't want to lock myself into another contract, but a savings of $80 sounds pretty appealing. But here's the catch, if you buy the phone upright from Google, the phone's MSRP is $479, so with Virgin, you don't save squat because they marked up the device to trick you into thinking you're getting a deal. Sneaky little monkeys.

So I've been talking to Freedom, and if I buy the phone upfront from them, they offer it to you for $480 no contract. But if I get a 2 year contract with them, they'll knock off $120 off the phone, bringing it down to $360 over the 24 months.

Back to Virgin, if they offer you a discount on a phone (in regards to the Pixel, its a bogus discount), you have to lock into one of their more costly plans rather than the cheaper month to month plans. With Freedom, even with the $120 discount, you can still get the same price of any BYOD month to month plan on a 2 year contract with any device you choose.

However, reading online reviews, Freedom sounds pretty poor in customer service and overcharging. And this is a concern for me, I used to be with Bell and every single month I would go over my data limit of 7GB, when I switched to Virgin, who's parent ironically is Bell, I got exactly the same plan I had with Bell (for less money though) and I simply brought my current phone with me, so no device or device settings were changed and even though I use my cellular data more now, not once have I gone over 4GB of data in 2 years. And this is my fear with Freedom, is it really worth saving a few dollars?

Hmmm, so much to think about. :-X [icon_lol2.gif]
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Catsumi » Oct 27th, 2020, 6:55 pm

After reading that I have a pounding headache.
:-X
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
Catsumi

Liked in: 9228 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 27th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Looking for cheap, it’s owned by telus.
Take a look at this: https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/
“Be water my friend”.
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Postby OKkayak » Oct 27th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Catsumi wrote:After reading that I have a pounding headache.
:-X

:biggrin:

Seriously though, thats just the condensed version. Stupid cell phone plans :-X [icon_lol2.gif]

GordonH wrote:Looking for cheap, it’s owned by telus.
Take a look at this: https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/

Hmmm, pretty close to Virgin's BYOD plans, and their US Roaming add-ons aren't that attractive, but thanks none the less :130:

- James Tiberius Kirk

Catsumi likes this post.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology