Windows 10 Update strikes again!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Windows 10 Update strikes again!

Postby Bsuds » Oct 27th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Here we go again! Thank you Mikey Mouse Soft. Your updates screwed another computer! :-X

I am working on a friends laptop that now won't Boot after a failed update! :-X
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Re: Windows 10 Update strikes again!

Postby my5cents » Oct 27th, 2019, 12:46 pm

Is this a new upgrade ?

What version ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Liked in: 2722 posts

Postby kelownman » Oct 27th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Capture.JPG

I havent noticed any issues with the latest updates....finger crossed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 27th, 2019, 2:18 pm

my5cents wrote:Is this a new upgrade ?

What version ?

No Idea, I can't get anything past a grey screen. It won't safe boot, it won't boot to a windows usb. it will boot to a Linux usb

It's not mine so I don't know if she wants to spend any money on it or I would try an SSD.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Jlabute » Oct 27th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Can’t boot to an external windows boot disk? Ewww. Are there any bios updates available? Can a windows repair install be done?
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 27th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Looks like a dead hard drive. I talked to the owner of the laptop and got the OK to put in an SSD.

When you do a new install it would be nice if it did the latest version so you didn't have to spend hours on updates!

What a bloody joke!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby kelownman » Oct 27th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Bsuds wrote:
When you do a new install it would be nice if it did the latest version so you didn't have to spend hours on updates!

You can download 1903 using the media creation tool, have it put it on a flash drive, and then install it on the new ssd. It will install 1903.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/softwar ... /windows10
kelownman
Board Meister

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby RVThereYet » Oct 28th, 2019, 8:28 am

Bsuds wrote:Looks like a dead hard drive. I talked to the owner of the laptop and got the OK to put in an SSD.

What a bloody joke!

So it wasn't the Win10 update that caused the problem, the hard drive just failed at the same time you ran it..

And yah, use the media tool like someone already suggested to install latest version...
RVThereYet
Übergod

Liked in: 849 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 28th, 2019, 12:28 pm

RVThereYet wrote:And yah, use the media tool like someone already suggested to install latest version...

I did use the media creation tool and after doing that there were still way too many updates including major ones that still needed to be downloaded and installed.

I started installing Win 10 at approx 2:30 and said it was finished with the updates at 9:30.

Got up this morning and there was another one needing to be installed which took another 30-45 min.

Still not sure that the update didn't toast the HD. Can't read it and it just come up no file system on it. I was going to try to format it but she is sending it to her son who is an IT tech in Calgary to see if he can pull any of her files off it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Urban Cowboy » Oct 28th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Always more updates regardless of what the media creation tool gives you.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Oct 29th, 2019, 8:08 am

Bsuds wrote:Looks like a dead hard drive. I talked to the owner of the laptop and got the OK to put in an SSD.

I think you owe Microsoft an apology. :biggrin:

We have a large fleet of devices. They get their windows updates monthly. Overall, it's rare that we have a problem with an update, especially a problem as bad as that. If there is a problem, more-often it's an app that stops functioning properly and it's always the poorly coded apps at that.

Here's another way to look at it as we've been tracking: 120,000 security updates applied last year across the fleet of decices. 28 had to be backed out of. Of those 28 none resulted in a "Device won't boot/work at all" scenario. That's a 0.002% failure rate.

Honestly tho - I think you should change the way you think. Constantly blaming miccrosoft and their patches for problems is leading you to miss diagnose the actual problem as evidenced by this thread. Even when patches do cause a problem, most of the time the problem isn't with the patch itself - it's with the driver or application that it conflicts with. The developers will blame MS but the reality is that you'll find it's the same few who struggle to handle patching while the rest of the software world doesn't seem to have a problem. If you have a well managed device without a lot of shady software patching rarely causes an issue. The only time it's the patches fault is when Microsoft recalls the patch (they use the terminology "superseded"). That does happen maybe about once a year but it's pretty rare and again - even when they're recalled it's rarely because of a problem so impactful like "device won't boot".

Bsuds wrote:

What a bloody joke!

This statement also raises an eyebrow for me. Microsoft moved to cumulative updates and service releases in Windows 10 for this very reason. They've already done what you're giving them a hard time for not doing. You'll still be limited by the age of the OS you install initially tho. How would you improve this process? It's no different with any other OS, why is it a "bloody joke" when it's Microsoft's OS that's being discussed?

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
TylerM4
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2543 posts

Postby Bsuds » Nov 1st, 2019, 4:28 pm

TylerM4 wrote:This statement also raises an eyebrow for me. Microsoft moved to cumulative updates and service releases in Windows 10 for this very reason. They've already done what you're giving them a hard time for not doing. You'll still be limited by the age of the OS you install initially tho. How would you improve this process? It's no different with any other OS, why is it a "bloody joke" when it's Microsoft's OS that's being discussed?

Then tell me why when I go to MS and download their Media Creation tool and then use that to do a new clean install I then spend several hours having to update that "New" install?

What can I do to improve on that experience?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Urban Cowboy » Nov 1st, 2019, 5:37 pm

Nothing. Just grab the newest version of Win10, install it, and then update the cumulative updates that will be available.

You'll always have updates, given that stuff comes out once a week, but you won't have near as much as you would if you installed a much older version of Win10.

TylerM4 likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Postby Urban Cowboy » Nov 2nd, 2019, 10:47 am

By the way though I don't have any experience with Apple operating system, I can assure you that any flavor of Linux that you download and install, will also have you doing updates if you wish it to be current.

There's simply no way around this, as it's what you might call the nature of the beast.

Microsoft has certainly done enough stuff over the years to annoy me, but insofar as operating system updates goes, that one I can't fault them for.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Nov 2nd, 2019, 11:42 am

Urban Cowboy wrote:Nothing. Just grab the newest version of Win10, install it, and then update the cumulative updates that will be available.

That's my point you never seem to get the latest version, it's usually at least 2 versions shy.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Next

Return to Computers, Science, Technology