Windows 10 Update strikes again!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Windows 10 Update strikes again!

Postby DANSPEED » Jan 12th, 2020, 1:56 am

WOW! I just ran Advanced System Repair Pro and it showed all my Chrome passwords plain as day! Firefox are safe. Come to think of it, I don't remember being asked to set a master password in Chrome!

It found malware but it was all located in SUPERAntiSpyware folders so these are most likely false positives.

It says Windows Defender is a security hole and services like remote registry and remote access connection manager need fixing. It shows both are currently disabled and not working ... not sure why it wants me to enable remote access! I think I'll leave those disabled.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Jan 12th, 2020, 2:49 am

featfan wrote:Just spent around 2 hours cleaning up my computer since my win 10 refresh.
I downloaded Advanced System Repair Pro and went with the manual fix instead of paying for it.
Took me a few minutes to figure out how to do the manual fixes/ deletes and it works Great.
It also let me update 21 drivers that I had no idea how to do.
My computer is cleaner and much faster now.
It found malware and errors that AVG free did not find or fix.

It seems Malwarebytes is not a fan of Advanced System Repair Pro. A scan said it is a PUP...

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/2 ... epair-pro/

The Malwarebytes research team has determined that Advanced SystemRepair Pro is a "system optimizer". These so-called "system optimizers" use intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have problems. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these problems.

So Windows Defender isn't a security hole after all! :biggrin:
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby featfan » Jan 12th, 2020, 6:28 am

I saw that some of my passwords were exposed also.
I was looking on google how to get rid of long running scripts and
Advanced popped up as a clean up tool.
Took a chance and ran it thru.
Hope it is okay as I am not really computer smart.
featfan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2441 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Jan 12th, 2020, 12:58 pm

Reading online passwords stored in Chrome are encrypted by your Windows login password. Someone could get them either by knowing your password or hijacking your login session. When exporting saved passwords Chrome asks for your Windows login password first. I didn't try this, but if Advanced System Repair Pro is ran without administrative permissions I bet Chrome saved passwords will not be exposed. Probably just another scare tactic to get your money. I had it installed with REVO so completely removing it was simple.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby OldBlindDog » Jan 23rd, 2020, 4:38 pm

Bsuds wrote:My understanding is you can still do this for free if you don't do a clean install. As long as you tell it to save your info it is supposed to work.

I did 1 a couple of days ago with no issues as well. But be warned this is going to end the middle of january.

So if you are going to do it do it now!

I did the upgrade to 10 a day after Windows 7 support officially ended (January 15). First, I spent a few hours creating a disk image on a backup drive, just in case something went horribly wrong. The software I used for this was Clonezilla, but there are other disk imaging programs that do the job. Clonezilla might be a little Unix-ey and difficult for inexperienced users. I followed the upgrade instructions as laid out here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/you-can-still-upgrade-to-windows-10-for-free-heres-how/

I did not do the clean install, but chose to keep my files. Other than some driver issues for the touchpad on this rather old machine, the upgrade was smooth. I had to go into my Windows Update settings and disable hardware driver updates to prevent Windows Update from clobbering the manually installed touchpad driver that I downloaded from HP's site.

The Windows 10 update site is still online:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
OldBlindDog
Board Meister

Liked in: 520 posts

Postby Bsuds » Feb 18th, 2020, 3:58 am

We have an old friend (he is 90) who has a Win 7 computer. He has been in the Hospital for a couple of months now recovering from a herniated disk that is very painful.

To make a long story short I tried to upgrade his computer to Win 10 and had a fail. I think it failed more because it looks like his Win 7 might be an unregistered version.

I picked up a used Lenovo With Win 10 on it for him and now have to migrate his files onto it.

This could be fun because his old one is a bit of a mess.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Feb 18th, 2020, 11:50 am

Bsuds wrote:To make a long story short I tried to upgrade his computer to Win 10 and had a fail. I think it failed more because it looks like his Win 7 might be an unregistered version.

The free upgrade was for registered owners and pirates (unregistered).

The problem I've had is moving a Windows 10 image to different hardware. On my desktop PC System info still shows I'm running on my dead laptop. The Power icon under notification is greyed out so Windows must know it's not a laptop.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby Bsuds » Feb 18th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Yes it could just be that there is something on the old one that is not compatible. I have run into that a few times.

I would rather not fight with it so will switch him to a newer one.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby Urban Cowboy » Feb 18th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Bsuds wrote:Yes it could just be that there is something on the old one that is not compatible. I have run into that a few times.

I would rather not fight with it so will switch him to a newer one.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Windows won't run on an abacus. :biggrin:
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby jonsmith » Feb 18th, 2020, 11:20 pm

My computer is also Windows 10 installed. The windows 10 is indeed latest update ande very user-friendly operating system. But on my computer when I update the operating system some time the operating system strick to install the other driver. Yesterday when I install the driver of the HP Designjet T520 printer its throwing error. Why is this issue occurring?
jonsmith

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Bsuds » Feb 19th, 2020, 5:36 am

It's almost that old and weighs a ton. lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Postby JagXKR » Jun 12th, 2020, 10:13 am

Win 10 Pro is available until the end of June for $70Cdn through PC World website. Win 10 Home is $40Cdn.
If anyone wants an full retail version this is the best deal I've seen.

https://software.pcworld.com/?act=search&brand=5

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400840 ... tk.rss_all

Deal alert! You can now purchase the full retail version of Windows 10 Professional for $40, an 80 percent discount off MSRP. Active for the month of June, this is an exclusive offer for PCWorld readers through the PCWorld Software Store.

I have used PC World for 2 purchases and found no issues.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jun 12th, 2020, 12:14 pm

I grabbed a Win 10 Pro license key on Amazon for eight bucks. :biggrin:

Worked like a charm.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 12th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:I grabbed a Win 10 Pro license key on Amazon for eight bucks. :biggrin:

Worked like a charm.

I was tempted to buy one too but decided against it after reading howtogeek's article, Cheap Windows 10 Keys: Do They Work? .... Something about “gray market” keys turned me off!

M$ forum (not really the place to ask!) says these keys are most likely volume licence product keys and may work for a month or two and then will require re-activation. Some Amazon customers said the keys they purchased were already in use -- bummer!

Sounds too good, think I'll pass!
DANSPEED
Übergod

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jun 13th, 2020, 1:07 pm

DANSPEED wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:I grabbed a Win 10 Pro license key on Amazon for eight bucks. :biggrin:

Worked like a charm.

I was tempted to buy one too but decided against it after reading howtogeek's article, Cheap Windows 10 Keys: Do They Work? .... Something about “gray market” keys turned me off!

M$ forum (not really the place to ask!) says these keys are most likely volume licence product keys and may work for a month or two and then will require re-activation. Some Amazon customers said the keys they purchased were already in use -- bummer!

Sounds too good, think I'll pass!

Well if that ever happens, it's not as if I'm out much, but it's been over a year and I've had no issues at all.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology