Anyone still flying?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Anyone still flying?

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 22nd, 2020, 7:32 pm

I don't mean actually flying - that would be nuts. I'm talking about flight simulator. I just got my notice that Orbx is having a 50% off "staycation" sale on all scenery upgrades for flight simulators. I need two more areas to completely upgrade my North American scenery. Alaska and Southern California.

If you're interested, it is by far the best scenery on the market and well worth the investment at these prices.

https://orbxdirect.com/
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2812 posts

Re: Anyone still flying?

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 22nd, 2020, 10:35 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:I don't mean actually flying - that would be nuts.

Why would it be nuts? I can't think of a much more 'touch the face of God' experience than flying alone in a light aircraft out on a moonlit night just over a solid cloud deck with small cumulus clouds embedded. It's spiritual. Not nuts, and for myself, I will never forget it...deeply thankful to the years I was able to do that.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Drip_Torch likes this post.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3833 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 22nd, 2020, 11:24 pm

Nope, flying alone, that's not nuts.

Sharing air in an aluminum can full of strangers right now - no thanks. Any flights for me, in the foreseeable future, are in the office and on the simulator.

Anyways, just to be clear, I'm not trying to cause a panic. I'm definitely not suggesting you should all go out and buy three or four shopping carts full of scenery. I was just throwing it out there. In case there are any other flight sim types with some unforeseen free-time on their hands.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Bsuds likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Jlabute » Mar 23rd, 2020, 6:04 am

If you want to get closer to touching God, you can fly a real MIG-29 to the edge of space for $12000 euros or something like that. They take you to 70000 feet. That could be something to save your rubles for. Jet Fighter tourism is getting popular. In Canada you can do an L39 albatross or something for $2399.

Sorry, no, I haven’t done the simulator stuff, except for RC training simulators a little.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”

oldtrucker likes this post.
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby vegas1500 » Mar 23rd, 2020, 6:10 am

Drip_Torch wrote:I don't mean actually flying - that would be nuts. I'm talking about flight simulator. I just got my notice that Orbx is having a 50% off "staycation" sale on all scenery upgrades for flight simulators. I need two more areas to completely upgrade my North American scenery. Alaska and Southern California.

If you're interested, it is by far the best scenery on the market and well worth the investment at these prices.

What do you have for a setup?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 3020 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 23rd, 2020, 8:36 am

Jlabute wrote:If you want to get closer to touching God, you can fly a real MIG-29 to the edge of space for $12000 euros or something like that. They take you to 70000 feet. That could be something to save your rubles for. Jet Fighter tourism is getting popular. In Canada you can do an L39 albatross or something for $2399.

Sorry, no, I haven’t done the simulator stuff, except for RC training simulators a little.

Yupper...If I ever won a big 70 mil lotto max...a L-39 might end up on a shopping list pre covid. If I won 70 mil now post covid, I think a turbine something on floats would be a little more practical.
Still.... a few hours in a Mig29.... :up: :smt045
I'm gettin' a little long in the tooth for that anyway. Even when I was 20, and in perfect condition, g's were never my friend.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Jlabute likes this post.
oldtrucker
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 23rd, 2020, 8:49 am

It's about flyin' and I'm pretty sure drip torch wont mind...
This is it...Mig 29 rental...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEH8iLjlodM

edit...this is probably the most eco unfriendly sport for carbon emissions there is. Article is 5 years old, so about 7 grand per hour to operate averaged over a year.https://oppositelock.kinja.com/so-are-y ... 1685664469
Last edited by oldtrucker on Mar 23rd, 2020, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldtrucker
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 23rd, 2020, 8:56 am

Drip_Torch wrote:I don't mean actually flying - that would be nuts. I'm talking about flight simulator. I just got my notice that Orbx is having a 50% off "staycation" sale on all scenery upgrades for flight simulators. I need two more areas to completely upgrade my North American scenery. Alaska and Southern California.

What do you think of DCS World or have you ever checked it out?
oldtrucker
Guru

Postby Jlabute » Mar 23rd, 2020, 10:07 am

oldtrucker wrote:It's about flyin' and I'm pretty sure drip torch wont mind...
This is it...Mig 29 rental...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEH8iLjlodM

edit...this is probably the most eco unfriendly sport for carbon emissions there is. Article is 5 years old, so about 7 grand per hour to operate averaged over a year.https://oppositelock.kinja.com/so-are-y ... 1685664469

Can we sign you up for 6g's? Ok, maybe 7? 8? 9? lol. Play it by ear perhaps? Yeah, that definitely looks like fun. Unlike you though, I don't need to win $50 million, I would do it from only winning $5 million. hehe. Spend a little extra for carbon credits if so inclined? lol.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby pmaria » Mar 23rd, 2020, 10:43 am

oldtrucker wrote:

DCS World is offering 2day trials of all their modules. The F16 and F18 are already passed, but there's lots more to play with:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... 020-03-18/
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby pmaria » Mar 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am

I've noticed lots of deals for addons right now for both P3D and X-Plane. Nows the time to work on those sim pits!
pmaria
Fledgling

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:16 pm

vegas1500 wrote:

What do you have for a setup?

Prepar3d v4.5 running on an 8 core @ about 4 Ghz, with 64 Gb of ram. The video card is my weakness, but I'm able to run the full Orbx suite, with:

- real world traffic
- real time weather
- firefighter X - which gives you wildfire simulations, or real-world based on Modis reports.
- and a textures upgrade.

I had to play around with my infinity mask setting, but I'm finally able to run full sliders out at about 30 fps. So realistic, that when I'm in a 206, or 214 I can see the grass and trees blowing in the downdraft while hovering, or landing.

Over the years, I've built up a wildfire fleet. I have:

Conair - Convair 580
Airspray - Electra
Wildcat 214
Coulson's 737

… works in progress;

I'm converting a C-130 model and will be painting it up to match Coulson 134.
RJ 85 AT
AT 802's amphibious and Land based.

I tend to blow far too many hours on this hobby around Christmas and New Years, every year.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Mar 23rd, 2020, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vegas1500 likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby pmaria » Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:21 pm

That sounds like a great setup. I've been messing with flight simulators in some form or another since the mid 80s. I'm currently having a blast flying the Majestic Q400 online with Virtual Air Canada. VATSIM has been recording record numbers in recent weeks. Worth a shot if you're interested in a realistic ATC experience.

pmaria
Fledgling

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:22 pm

oldtrucker wrote:

Nope, haven't checked out DCS world. Once I got a few hundred into airport addon's I pretty much decided to stick with the Prepar3d platform. The Microsoft Flight 2020, a cloud based platform, looks interesting and I'm watching the development, but I'm still feeling burned by the Microsoft team from when they abandoned the Fight simmer's in 2010 and I don't think I'll be an early adopter of their new platform. When it is released.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:28 pm

pmaria wrote:That sounds like a great setup. I've been messing with flight simulators in some form or another since the mid 80s. I'm currently having a blast flying the Majestic Q400 online with Virtual Air Canada. VATSIM has been recording record numbers in recent weeks. Worth a shot if you're interested in a realistic ATC experience.

No doubt VATSIM has been breaking records. Don't foresee that changing anytime soon. I have very limited experience with virtual airlines. It always seemed I'd set up a flight and ATC would sign off and there wouldn't be a replacement. Perhaps things have changed and I should look into it again?

How do you like the Majestic? I just about grabbed one this Christmas, but I went with a Carenado FA 50 instead.

I wanted the range to fly to Hawaii. Lol.

I'm thinking the next big upgrade for me will be the honeycomb flight yoke and throttles - whenever they get that release finalized. (Goodbye Logitech frustration - only the "Cessna Pro" is worth anything and good luck finding one.)

:130:
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Next

Return to Computers, Science, Technology