Anyone still flying?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Anyone still flying?

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

oldtrucker wrote:It's about flyin' and I'm pretty sure drip torch wont mind...
This is it...Mig 29 rental...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEH8iLjlodM

edit...this is probably the most eco unfriendly sport for carbon emissions there is. Article is 5 years old, so about 7 grand per hour to operate averaged over a year.https://oppositelock.kinja.com/so-are-y ... 1685664469

Wonder what ever happened with the Martin Mars rental?

http://ultimateflyingexperience.ca/
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2812 posts

Postby pmaria » Mar 23rd, 2020, 1:26 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:How do you like the Majestic? I just about grabbed one this Christmas, but I went with a Carenado FA 50 instead.

I wanted the range to fly to Hawaii. Lol.

I'm thinking the next big upgrade for me will be the honeycomb flight yoke and throttles - whenever they get that release finalized. (Goodbye Logitech frustration - only the "Cessna Pro" is worth anything and good luck finding one.)

:130:

I love the Majestic, the system fidelity is great, and its a perfect fit for VA flying, especially around BC there's some challenging airports to get into and out of. Its a nice balance of automation and hands on flying. Feel free to come give www.vacanada.org a try, we're a good bunch. Lots of active (at least before recent days) real world pilots so lots to learn from them. If you haven't tried VATSIM with the new audio codec, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot, its much better than it was.
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 7:21 pm

pmaria wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote:How do you like the Majestic? I just about grabbed one this Christmas, but I went with a Carenado FA 50 instead.

I wanted the range to fly to Hawaii. Lol.

I'm thinking the next big upgrade for me will be the honeycomb flight yoke and throttles - whenever they get that release finalized. (Goodbye Logitech frustration - only the "Cessna Pro" is worth anything and good luck finding one.)

:130:

I love the Majestic, the system fidelity is great, and its a perfect fit for VA flying, especially around BC there's some challenging airports to get into and out of. Its a nice balance of automation and hands on flying. Feel free to come give http://www.vacanada.org a try, we're a good bunch. Lots of active (at least before recent days) real world pilots so lots to learn from them. If you haven't tried VATSIM with the new audio codec, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot, its much better than it was.

I will admit hitting "1" all the time isn't very immersive, but I mainly fly wildfire missions, in and around the Kamloops region. Long hauls aren't really my thing, but I do enjoy hitting some of the larger airports every now and then. Calgary can be tough with all the WestJet traffic I have loaded... lol.. I sit there for 15 minutes waiting for clearance.

I like flying out of Bella Coola, but I hate trying to get into it from altitude. I purchased that upgrade airport. I worked up that way for about 12 years and I enjoy the fact I can see all the places I worked out of. (Yes, I left a mark- lol. I can see one of the landing burns I did clear as a bell, and as I tried to tell the forester at the time, nothing will be growing back in there for at least a couple thousand years. )

The other model that tempts me is the PMDG 737, but I'm afraid it will end up costing me big coin - cause a video card upgrade.

I'm going to have to check out VATSIM and the other site. Thanks for the tip on that.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby JagXKR » Mar 23rd, 2020, 8:21 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:AT 802's amphibious and Land based.

Get rid of the Land based. Conair is ridding their fleet of those but keeping the Fire Boss amphibs though.
They are also adding in more Q400's as they become available for retrofit.
Though this is just a rumor I heard. :biggrin:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Drip_Torch likes this post.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 8:38 pm

JagXKR wrote:
Drip_Torch wrote:AT 802's amphibious and Land based.

Get rid of the Land based. Conair is ridding their fleet of those but keeping the Fire Boss amphibs though.
They are also adding in more Q400's as they become available for retrofit.
Though this is just a rumor I heard. :biggrin:

Thanks for the tip. I thought Conair already had a Q400 in the fleet? I've never seen it, but I've been keeping an eye towards the sky for a couple years now.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby JagXKR » Mar 23rd, 2020, 8:48 pm

One Q...so far.
As they get more Q's expect the Electra and the Convairs to slowly be retired.
Getting really really hard finding parts for these older aircraft.
Try finding parts for the L-188......really difficult.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 23rd, 2020, 9:39 pm

I was just packing up some CD's tonight and I still have the original "Lock On- Modern Air Combat" disk. Says 2002-2005.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3833 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

JagXKR wrote:One Q...so far.
As they get more Q's expect the Electra and the Convairs to slowly be retired.
Getting really really hard finding parts for these older aircraft.
Try finding parts for the L-188......really difficult.

Noooo… not the Electra.

We'll never see a Q-400 do one of those iconic dives straight down Campbell Mtn like we did a few years back.

:D
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 23rd, 2020, 10:47 pm

oldtrucker wrote:I was just packing up some CD's tonight and I still have the original "Lock On- Modern Air Combat" disk. Says 2002-2005.

Some of those oldies were awesome. "Jane's US Navy flying fighters" - man that was a frustrating game, but I loved it. I think it took me a month of nights just to find my way into the tanker, to get enough fuel to travel to the bombing mission. Then it took me another couple months of nights, to actually put the F-18 down on the carrier deck. I was just getting into the game and I upgraded operating systems - seriously hooped the game and never found another like it.

I have a drawer full of old flight sim CD's and upgrades.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby pmaria » Mar 24th, 2020, 8:31 am

Drip_Torch wrote:I will admit hitting "1" all the time isn't very immersive, but I mainly fly wildfire missions, in and around the Kamloops region. Long hauls aren't really my thing, but I do enjoy hitting some of the larger airports every now and then. Calgary can be tough with all the WestJet traffic I have loaded... lol.. I sit there for 15 minutes waiting for clearance.

I like flying out of Bella Coola, but I hate trying to get into it from altitude. I purchased that upgrade airport. I worked up that way for about 12 years and I enjoy the fact I can see all the places I worked out of. (Yes, I left a mark- lol. I can see one of the landing burns I did clear as a bell, and as I tried to tell the forester at the time, nothing will be growing back in there for at least a couple thousand years. )

The other model that tempts me is the PMDG 737, but I'm afraid it will end up costing me big coin - cause a video card upgrade.

I'm going to have to check out VATSIM and the other site. Thanks for the tip on that.

All of my VA flights are around 1 - 1.5 hours. Its all I really have time for. I've done a couple long hauls across the pacific and atlantic, the challenge is different and definitely interesting dealing with oceanic procedures and even the procedure differences in foreign countries, but takes way too much time, even with running it overnight while sleeping during the cruise part.

Depending on your current graphics card, the PMDG 737 probably wont take much of a hit, its been around for many years and hasn't been optimized for newer hardware. It will probably take a hit to your processor more than the graphics card, just due to the systems simulation. It ran great on my computer with a 1gb Nvidia GPU, and a Core I7 from 2011. The orbx stuff took more of a hit.

My other favorite when I'm not flying the tube liners is the DeHavilland Turbo Otter. Tooling around the coast on floats is great fun.
pmaria
Fledgling

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 24th, 2020, 11:18 am

If you were able to run it on a 1 gig card I shouldn't have any problem, and I guess if I did, I could always dial back the scenery. Can't see much of it from up there anyways, but I understand it still loads. I think the best upgrade I made recently was putting the whole Prepar3d and upgrades on a dedicated 250 Gb M2 drive. It loads much faster and really increased my framerate.

I like the coast on floats too. Orbx - Pender Harbour, Nanaimo, Squamish and Bella Coola are awesome, but that's where I notice the biggest hit on the frames.

ETA: What DeHavilland Turbo Otter would you recommend? Milviz?
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Mar 24th, 2020, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 24th, 2020, 11:23 am

Never mind a high end sim, my computer can barely run youtube vids of examples of flight sims... [icon_lol2.gif]
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Drip_Torch likes this post.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3833 posts

Postby Jlabute » Mar 24th, 2020, 11:30 am

Flight Sim sounds like fun. Where does someone with lots of computing power start? I suppose most of the cost is in the supporting hardware, scenery add-ons, rather than the original flight sim software itself?

Does one go for Microsoft or X-Plane?

I know a decade ago there were people around here building realistic cockpits and such. People still gung-ho with all that?
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby pmaria » Mar 24th, 2020, 11:41 am

Jlabute wrote:Flight Sim sounds like fun. Where does someone with lots of computing power start? I suppose most of the cost is in the supporting hardware, scenery add-ons, rather than the original flight sim software itself?

I know a decade ago there were people around here building realistic cockpits and such. People still gung-ho with all that?

That's a loaded question. You can download a demo of X-Plane for free to try it out, its pretty good out of the box. Both Prepar3d (what became of Microsoft FS when it was sold to Lockheed Martin) and XP 11 are equally comparable. Prepar3d has better support for high fidelity addons, but there are some good ones for XP too, including the amazing and FREE Zibo 737. There are versions of some of the most popular addons for both sims. At this point, I probably wouldn't sink too much money into it as FS2020 is around the corner and we don't know too much about it, other than it looks freaking amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTETsm79D3A

Its a fun past time I've been involved with off and on since the 80s. One day I'll get my ppl in the real thing, but until time and money allows this is the next best thing.

2 people like this post.
pmaria
Fledgling

Postby Drip_Torch » Mar 24th, 2020, 11:44 am

Jlabute wrote:Flight Sim sounds like fun. Where does someone with lots of computing power start? I suppose most of the cost is in the supporting hardware, scenery add-ons, rather than the original flight sim software itself?

Careful. It's a bad habit, but lots of fun and a way to spend some of the dark hours during the winter. I don't think Microsoft is out yet, (could be wrong) and that looks like it will have the most realistic scenery graphics of all the systems when it does come out. X plane seems to get good reviews and is a cheaper platform option. I've never tried it.

I use this: https://www.prepar3d.com/

It's far more than I need and I'm only using a tiny percentage of the platforms available options. It is rock solid and very expandable.

You can start small, as far as hardware goes, but you won't want to stay there. I started with a Microsoft sidewinder joystick and for pedals I picked up some kids racing setup from a garage sale. And, that's where it all started. Once you're hooked, the sky is the limit.

Have a garage available? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAUtgJ_KAC0
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Mar 24th, 2020, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jlabute likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology