Anyone still flying?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Anyone still flying?

Postby pmaria » Mar 24th, 2020, 11:46 am

Drip_Torch wrote:If you were able to run it on a 1 gig card I shouldn't have any problem, and I guess if I did, I could always dial back the scenery. Can't see much of it from up there anyways, but I understand it still loads. I think the best upgrade I made recently was putting the whole Prepar3d and upgrades on a dedicated 250 Gb M2 drive. It loads much faster and really increased my framerate.

I like the coast on floats too. Orbx - Pender Harbour, Nanaimo, Squamish and Bella Coola are awesome, but that's where I notice the biggest hit on the frames.

ETA: What DeHavilland Turbo Otter would you recommend? Milviz?

I'm using the Aerosoft Twin Otter, its great and performs well.

I've since upgraded to a 6gb card but with the same processor, and the only places I have framerate issues is departing / arriving at dense custom scenery airports (FlyTampa CYYZ etc) and usually with the QW787. My CPU is pegged and the GPU is at about 60%, so I'm definitely CPU limited at this point. SSDs are definitely the single best upgrade you can do. I just more SSD space, >500gb of scenery and addons!

Drip_Torch likes this post.
pmaria
Fledgling

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Apr 15th, 2020, 6:24 pm

So suddenly, (didn't see it coming at all) Lockheed Martin puts out version 5.0. Don't see much in it other than dx12 support and live weather. I already have Active sky and cloud art - not sure I want to take the plunge. I always get concerned I'll lose my Electra with one of these upgrades and with Microsoft set to release this year, I'm not sure I need the upgrade right now.

Here's how I spent my weekend...

OMP1.jpg

OMP.jpg

I'm right out of practice. By Monday I had to erase the scenario because it was OMP 2003 all over again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

pmaria likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2812 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Jul 16th, 2020, 12:17 pm

I just got the email from Microsoft and the pre-order is available for purchase now. It seems to have a few options, standard has 20 aircraft and 30 Airports, Deluxe 25/35 and Premium Deluxe 30/40. It ranges in price from 79.99 to 159.99.

I'm sticking with PrePar3d, but if anyone gives the new sim platform a try, I'd be interested in hearing about it.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

pmaria likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby pmaria » Jul 16th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:I just got the email from Microsoft and the pre-order is available for purchase now. It seems to have a few options, standard has 20 aircraft and 30 Airports, Deluxe 25/35 and Premium Deluxe 30/40. It ranges in price from 79.99 to 159.99.

I'm sticking with PrePar3d, but if anyone gives the new sim platform a try, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I'm a sucker for punishment, so will most likely be pre-ordering. Will let you know how it works on my meager machine. I think my processor will be the main bottleneck, followed by graphics. Plus I'll need to find another 150gb of hard drive space. Maybe I'll nuke X-Plane, I have 750gb of data between Prepar3d, XP, and KSP.

Also, if you do a 1$ trial of Game Pass for PC, you get FS2020 with that for 30 days.

pmaria
Fledgling

Postby Even Steven » Jul 16th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Anybody played with IL-2 Sturmovik game? Looks pretty cool with VR.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4194 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Jul 16th, 2020, 3:59 pm

pmaria wrote:I'm a sucker for punishment, so will most likely be pre-ordering. Will let you know how it works on my meager machine. I think my processor will be the main bottleneck, followed by graphics. Plus I'll need to find another 150gb of hard drive space. Maybe I'll nuke X-Plane, I have 750gb of data between Prepar3d, XP, and KSP.

Also, if you do a 1$ trial of Game Pass for PC, you get FS2020 with that for 30 days.

I'll be watching this thread shortly after August 19th and I'm looking forward to the update. :smt045 I guess another dollar for a 30 day trail isn't bad. (As long as the other half doesn't find out I've spent another dollar on my flight sims)

Even Steven wrote:Anybody played with IL-2 Sturmovik game? Looks pretty cool with VR.

I've avoided the temptation towards VR, but in theory it does seem to hold a whole lot of promise. I fly with two 1080p screens and that seems to cover most everything I need to be seeing. I'd like to upgrade to wide, or even ultra wide, but again, I would expect a hit on frame rates. I have my little happy spot, where I can watch the tree branches sway in the wind and see the seagulls, but it doesn't get choppy on an approach to a major airport like YVR.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Drip_Torch » Aug 6th, 2020, 3:04 pm

*random scream into the internet*

"STOP TEASING ME..."

I want it already.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby pmaria » Aug 7th, 2020, 10:56 am

That is amazing! I love the fact that you can reconfigure it based on the type you're flying, that's always been my beef with these addon controllers, they were only realistic for one type. I can only imagine how many $'s will be required however..
pmaria
Fledgling

Postby Drip_Torch » Aug 7th, 2020, 1:04 pm

I'm following the company on twitter and it looks like it will be limited release in September. Price point of around 249 USD. So with exchange, taxes, shipping, duties - it's still going to be a must have and I'm going to just take the beating.

:smt045

I did the dive on FSimStudios' production of Kelowna airport last night. A very realistic upgrade and I didn't take much of a hit on the frames - if any. Still sitting right around 30 fps with all the eye candy dialed right up, but the traffic .bgl did seem wipe out my real world traffic for the area. I haven't done any long hauls, so I don't know if it completely obliterated my traffic files, or if it's just specific to the Okanagan area.

All in all though, it is a nice upgrade and available through Orbx.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Glacier » Aug 7th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:I don't mean actually flying - that would be nuts. I'm talking about flight simulator. I just got my notice that Orbx is having a 50% off "staycation" sale on all scenery upgrades for flight simulators. I need two more areas to completely upgrade my North American scenery. Alaska and Southern California.

If you're interested, it is by far the best scenery on the market and well worth the investment at these prices.

https://orbxdirect.com/

A friend of mine who is 41 years old has been flying for Air Canada for like 15 years got laid off, and then needed to get to Florida to do the flying course so as to maintain his pilot's status, but no one was flying down there and the course wasn't in operation (this was two months ago). I haven't talked to him for a month so don't know if he made it down yet.

P.S. Private planes are still going strong. A friend of mine from Ashcroft took these pictures when flying around the Chilcotin last week...

116875927_10160048939704428_4099405059403766466_o.jpg

116471774_10160048948614428_2473371854205364855_o.jpg

116661476_10160048945639428_4967167009311262978_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 16344 posts

Postby GordonH » Aug 13th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Flair airlines is trying to temp potential traveler.
https://flyflair.com/
“Be water my friend”.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.”
― Bruce Lee
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Liked in: 12293 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Drip_Torch » Aug 20th, 2020, 1:25 pm

I thought I'd check out how realistic the real world fires option is. Looks darn close.

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Not having a whole lot of success with my drops... :-X

rustled likes this post.
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby JagXKR » Aug 20th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Maybe that's because someone else was flying 489. 492 as well. A real 489. :biggrin:

And in other news

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... -Simulator

An Okanagan resident has recently uploaded to YouTube a 20-minute flight in-game from Kelowna’s YLW to Penticton YYF.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2463 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Aug 21st, 2020, 10:06 am

That scenery is amazing - exactly as promised. The mesh looks a little flat, but ORBX global *might* kick it up a bit. I don't know what to make of that flight? Keyboard trial, or frame rate stutters? I hear "engaging auto pilot", but it doesn't seem to smooth the flight at all.

If I put 489 down on 16 like that, it's game over - even in the sim world. [icon_lol2.gif]
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

Postby Drip_Torch » Jan 24th, 2021, 6:58 pm

Screaming out a little frustration randomly into the internet (Because that always solves things)

Honeycomb fight controls is driving me crazy! I know some will argue that point, but still.

Every couple of weeks I get an email saying they have limited stock available for purchase, with delivery coming several months later. Every couple of weeks I drop what I'm doing and go to their site (I won't share it with you because I'm keeping it a secret until I get mine) and the result is always the same - sold out. Argh!

Both Amazon and Ebay have some availability at about a 100% markup. Argh!

I want my bravo throttle controller. :panic:

[/rant]
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to Computers, Science, Technology