Interstellar Spaceflight

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Interstellar Spaceflight

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 4th, 2020, 12:33 pm

Vacancyrate wrote:Anyways I invented a time machine.

Right up until the part of...
Vacancyrate wrote:4. Faster than light communication

I still like your idea though.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Liked in: 3833 posts

Postby Vacancyrate » Jul 4th, 2020, 12:48 pm

FTL communication has to exist otherwise you could never maintain a cultural system beyond a few light years distance. You can't govern when you find out people are starving 3 years after it happened.

For advanced races traveling close to light speed may be possible, but that's accelerating mass which is much more difficult. Getting large volumes of mass faster than light is really tricky.

Transmitting data faster than light might prove much easier.

It would also be as important as developing roads (Romans) and the mail service for advanced societies.

I'm not saying it's easy, but with quantum entanglement-ish type technology we might be able to do it.

We'll have to if we want to travel large distances.
Vacancyrate
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2203 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 4th, 2020, 12:57 pm

If we were able to develop the tech that would enable us to play with quantum entanglement, I would assume we would have the ability to stop the ageing process. Then we could head out on a 10,000 year + voyage at 1%C (1860 miles/sec) and not worry about the passage of time.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Guru

Postby featfan » Dec 9th, 2020, 3:10 pm

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/spac ... -1.5832868
Amazing try on this huge spaceship today.
From how the engines performed and did not leave vapor trails, to how the fins and little rockets turned and flew the ship.
A couple more seconds of thrust at the landing and I thing they would of stuck it.

1:40 after launch and it was doomed.
Wish it would have been a success.
Watched it again and they belly-flopped that beast , the vapor clouds during the turns are amazing.
featfan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2441 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Dec 9th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Vacancyrate wrote:I figured out how to build a time machine - but you can only see the future.

All you need is a faster-than-light communication device in a probe and a large gravity-well. Not a black hole persay but just close to a very large mass.

1. Send a probe into the gravity well.

2. Time slows down for probe, speeds up for us (probes perspective)

3. Probe would focus back on us - recording time speeding up and to us, recording our future.

4. Faster than light communication would beam that "accelerated time information" back to us and we'd know the future.

The only thing I believe would be an issue would that in information would be sped-up or compressed because of the time shift so it would be almost like listening to a Alvin and the Chipmunks record - everything very fast. The "future" information would have to be uncompressed or slowed down for us to be able to read it.

Anyways I invented a time machine.

This actually leads me to another idea.
Artificial black hole lasting only a mirosec but it would still hold entangled particles long enough for 'Hawking Radiation' theory to apply. FTL communications slowly coming together here :smt045 :up:
oldtrucker
Guru

Postby Ka-El » Dec 16th, 2020, 7:48 am

baby steps :smt045

Canada headed for moon

The federal government says it has signed an agreement with the United States to send a Canadian astronaut around the moon.

The planned trip in 2023 is part of a broader U.S.-led effort to establish a new international space station above the lunar surface to allow for exploration of the moon and future missions to Mars.

The Gateway Treaty unveiled today also calls for a second flight for a Canadian astronaut to that future space station, known as the Lunar Gateway.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/31 ... d-the-moon
Please God, grant me patience - because if You grant me strength I'll need bail money too.
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 9959 posts

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology