TV recommendations

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

TV recommendations

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 1st, 2020, 7:48 am

Looks like my TV is thinking of calling it quits ... getting what I call the "northern nights" flicker across the screen every now or else the screen will freeze for a few seconds. What brands do you like or dislike, LED, OELD, QLED, Smart TV, Android TV and the list goes on and one. It's like buying sneakers ... more choices that the average person needs.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 16453 posts

Re: TV recommendations

Postby Bsuds » Jun 1st, 2020, 7:59 am

Our TV is in being serviced so I was looking at the new one just in case.

The TLC 6 series is highly rated for cost/value.

Ours is a VIZIO and I do like them as well but apparently hard to find right now.
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 1st, 2020, 8:01 am

Read good things about Vizio ... what size screen do you have?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Postby mexi cali » Jun 1st, 2020, 9:10 am

How much is in your budget?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 6411 posts

Postby Queen K » Jun 1st, 2020, 9:11 am

I love our Samsung Smarttv.
Stay tuned for another episode of "Terrified of Trump's Base."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 20570 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 1st, 2020, 9:40 am

mexi cali wrote:How much is in your budget?

$1-3K ... bonus if I find one on sale.

oneh2obabe

Postby Jlabute » Jun 1st, 2020, 12:14 pm

I have an OLED TV. You get great blacks, although you still have the potential of burn-in but I have not experienced this after 3 years. OLED has very accurate color and motion. OLED gives a great picture although OLED is not as bright so does not do High Dynamic Range as well as 'some' LED TV's. Vizio is not too bad for the price. Sony makes very nice TVs as does Samsung. It actually depends on what you're looking, as no TV does it 'ALL'.

You can go to a website that actually does scientific tests on TV's for their specific functionalities. The best over-all picture is still from OLED TV's.

"Best TV: LG B9 OLED"
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/tvs-on-the-market

Even though Samsungs flagship Q90 sounds impressive, it has gray uniformity issues.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90-q90r-qled

I would probably pick from the list below, go see the TV's in action, and try to negotiate a deal, because you can from a number of electronics outlets.

Capture.PNG

Edit: If you are stuck on Vizio, here is how they stack up to the list above in terms of picture quality. They are a good value, but, you can get a better picture from many other models. One of Vizio's biggest problems is up-scaling, taking a standard definition picture and making it fit 4K is not as good as other TVs.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jlabute on Jun 1st, 2020, 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GALILEO - “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.”
Jlabute
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2749 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jun 1st, 2020, 12:22 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Read good things about Vizio ... what size screen do you have?

55" 4k , Great picture
How do Dragons blow out candles?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 17268 posts

Postby Gilchy » Jun 1st, 2020, 12:48 pm

Check out Samsung's "The Frame" series. They show artwork when the screen is off, so you don't just have a black rectangle in your living room.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1863 posts

Postby DANSPEED » Jun 1st, 2020, 1:14 pm

$3K is quite the budget!

I recently bought a new smart TV. Amazon pushes TCL. Never heard of them. Did some research and bought a LG UM7300 from Visions with price match. Nice quality, beautiful picture, loads of settings, fast, IPS 4K upscaling, magic remote, sound quality is very good and gets really LOUD.

Rtings.com is a great site for comparing TVs. They reviewed my LG and Samsung TV. Both reviews were spot-on.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jun 1st, 2020, 1:40 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:
mexi cali wrote:How much is in your budget?

$1-3K ... bonus if I find one on sale.

I upgraded my TV to a 55" Samsung QLED and the picture is just awesome. Better yet I got it on sale for $1,050 then recouped $300 by selling my LG TV.

It certainly doesn't take $3K to get a decent TV unless you are after some monstrous size.

I purposely avoided LG's OLED series specifically due to their extremely high chances of burn in which is not an issue with QLED.

Also standing back ten feet at the store it was next to impossible to tell the difference between OLED and QLED despite the former supposedly being the best picture.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Jun 1st, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown

2 people like this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jun 1st, 2020, 1:42 pm

That's a great budget. I find that regardless of the cost, you only get what you can see. The pictures are great on most (not anything from WAlmart) and OLED seems to be the thing.

I have two 4k TVS,one is A sharp 55" and the other is a HAier 55". The Haier is the better of the two pictures and sound wise but I have had several Sharps over the years and they have proven to be great.

I have a 29" Samsung that has a great picture and a 36" Vizio which has a really crisp picture. Also a 40" 4k Sharp which is really, just OK.

I have spent lots on TVS and on others, very little. I got the HAier 55" curved for less than 200 bucks because it was discontinued. It was close to a grand when it was current.

If I get 2-3 years from a TV that was less than a grand, I am happy these days. My first BS was a 42" plasma, brand I had never heard of. It lasted 11 years but I paid 3500.00 for it. And that was a deal.

I have been let down by some more expensive TVS (less than 2 years and out of warranty so I don't really spend a lot of time looking when I need to replace one). If it were me, I would get an OLED because they seem to have the best picture, a great 4k player and a nice compact higher end sound bar. I have a bose which fits the bill. It was less than 300 bucks.

I do look for BluRay compatibility so I can use headphones if I want to get really loud ( I live in a condo).

If you can do whatever you want however, get a Bluray bar which you can wirelessly put behind you. I find that having the sound come from the back makes for a better experience.

Happy hunting and enjoy.

Oh, also, if you prefer say sports to movies, make sure the TV caters to that over other settings. I hate the TVS where you have to manually adjust the colors/tint/bright etc. The auto function works just fine. Remember, you can only see what you can see.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Bsuds likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 6411 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 1st, 2020, 6:44 pm

Fun times - NOT. Spent the afternoon reading reviews from various sources and watching reviews on youtube. Talk about a variety of things to look for.

TV that's on the fritz is 6 years old and I picked it up on sale for $220 ... not bad for something I got to fill the gap until I found the model I wanted. TV is on 24/7 with maybe a day or two turned off if I'm going to be out all day.

Checked 2 different review sites listing the top 5 TV choices for 2020 ... same models but slightly different order.

1 - LG C9 series OLED
2 - Sony A9F OLED or AF9 LED
3 - Samsung Q90 QLED series
4 - Vizio P Series Quantum X
5 - TCL 55R65

Checked out a couple of videos comparing Samsung Q90 series vs LG C9 series ... Samsung wins by a hair

oneh2obabe

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jun 1st, 2020, 7:03 pm

For a Samsung Q90 series you'll be paying top dollar as that's the newest offering.

Do yourself a favour and go down to Visions or such and take a good long look at a Q90 and then a Q70 or even Q60. I doubt you'll note enough difference to pay the way higher price of a Q90 compared to the other much less painful options.

In reviews many of those so called experts use pricey equipment to note the differences between televisions, but the truth of the matter is at home all you will be using is your eyes.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 9509 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Jun 1st, 2020, 7:51 pm

Exactly. I'll visit a few stores to check different brands and make a choice based on what I like and in my price range. Looking at reviews is nice - gives you an idea of what's new and what you don't really need. After deciding on which model I'm thinking of buying then it's online to price check.

2 people like this post.
oneh2obabe

Next

Return to Computers, Science, Technology